“BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN THE KEYS”
Review of Puerto Vallarta - CLOSED

Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 March 2014

To simply put it, they have the best mexican food in the keys!!! Senior Frijoles is more touristy you are paying for the scenery and not the food. With Puerto Vallarta it is all about the food being good and fresh. My wife ordered the burrito with beef and it was so dang good and I had the sizzling fajitas and they were awesome. GREAT PLACE!!!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stopped on our way home to try this place. The service was friendly and just the right amount of attention without hovering. The food was freshly prepared and very good. The green sauce was the mildest - different then most places. The fresh salsa was a delight.
The menu was original and the décor was typical Florida Keys - a Mexican theme but chic tacky (everything in the Keys is pretty much that way - real authentic Keys!)
If there was a negative it was the noise from the two children's parties going on at the same time but as this is a casual place happy shrieks from little ones aren't all bad.
We will be back often.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We enjoyed the old Key Largo location at MM105, and could not wait for them to open in Islamorada at MM86. It is obvious they are having some growing pains - adjusting to a restaurant that is exponentially larger. Service is a bit slower, and menu items occasionally amiss, but the staff is friendly and the food always delicious, made with fresh ingredients. We were sorry to read negative reviews about the salsa - it is our favorite - so crisp and full of flavor - fresh tomatoes, onion, lime and cilantro. Go and enjoy the new atmosphere - bright colors, lots of elbow room, festive music and hearty, authentic mexican food. Don't be disappointed by things that can be fixed - just ask - the staff is more than happy to accommodate. They will be back to an 'excellent' rating in no time!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We visited for lunch on a weekday and the restaurant was not busy yet we waited for water, waited to order and waited 50 minutes for our food. I ordered the shrimp enchiladas. They were described as filled with shrimp and fish topped with cilantro, cheese, sour cream and avocado. When they arrived, I immediately asked where the toppings were as there was no cheese, sour cream or avocado. Our server said he didn't know but would check. My husband asked for hot sauce at the same time. Sometime later, having never seen the server again I took a bite and choked on the heat. I unrolled one of the tortillas and found it to be filled with some kind of hot pepper and onions in some unknown sauce. No shrimp, no fish. There were several small shrimp scatted around the plate. I gave the peppers to my husband since he had never received his hot sauce and proceeded to fill the now empty tortilla with the pico salsa. We finally got a manager to the table and explained the situation. I even had retrieved a menu so I could read her the description of the dish on the menu and show her the photo which accompanies the description of a dish I did not receive. She said they "changed the recipe a little" to make it better! I told her it was not at all what I had ordered. This is a $14.95 lunch item which I would have loved to try. We left the table and waited at the front for our check, which also took a while. The manager discounted my lunch entree almost 50%. Very strange to not have just offered to replace the offensive dish with something edible. While we were waiting (again), I noticed a table with 4 friends that had been in a different room from our seats. I asked about their lunch and they had nothing good to say about it or the service. We will never go back. We are locals and will also share this disappointing experience with anyone who asks our opinion.

1  Thank turtlegirl2014
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

What more can I say ? No green chili , no sopapillas, salsa is more like a chopped salad. Pass this place by. Oh, and it moved from Key Largo to Islamorada. It is now around mm 87.