“Nice surprice”

Ranked #19 of 134 Restaurants in Key Largo
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, View, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Key Largo's Hidden Treasure! And the locals would like to keep it that way. Shipwrecks is located off the beaten path, on a deep water canal, on the ocean side. Come enjoy great food, good prices, and friendly staff in a relaxed atmosphere. Happy hour is everyday 4-6 pm when beer starts at $1. Seating is available inside, outside, or under the tiki. Locals, tourists, bikers, families, divers, and all other friendly people welcome!
Tonsberg, Norway
“Nice surprice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Met a very nice old lady at a store in Key Largo. She overheard us asking for a restaurant, and offered to drive ahead of us to Shipwreck's because "she had met so many friendly people when she visited Europe, so she wanted to give something back, and the best thing she could offer was a recommodation for the good food at Shipwreck's". Turned out to be wise of her to give the offer to show us the place, we would never have found if not. The restaurant and the staff is just great. The food: Have had better, but for the price, just fantastic. I had grilled fish, and it was very, very good. My wife had an almost raw tuna, and she still talkes about it. Shipwreck's is perhaps a place for locals, and we had to wait a little for the table. That is understandable. We still regret that we didn't offer the old lady to come with us. We would gladly have paid for her dinner too.

• Visited November 2013

Savannah, GA
“You gotta be kidding me!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and I were in key largo the last week of September 2013 and several people recommended shipwrecks bar and grill. Now if you are looking for a cold beer and a place to watch the Sunday football game then by all means try it. But that's about all it is good for. No view even though it is Oceanside. It is small and dingy and I might have walked out onto the back porch to check it out but there was a growling slobbering bulldog on the back deck looking in at me so I decided to forgo it. The crab cakes came highly recommended and they were simply awful. Our server was very friendly and prompt. I think what irritates me most about this restaurant is that tripadvisor had it highly ranked when I checked it out from key largo before we went. This is the #2 restaurant in key largo? You gotta be kidding me! I think at the time it was #4. Whatever. The fact is that key largo in general is a fine dining wasteland but there are certainly better options than shipwrecks.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank wnkn
St. Augustine, Florida
“Great off the beaten track Keys food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

It's a bit of a dive bar and I mean that in the very best way. Friendly, awesome prices, great atmosphere and the food some of the best we had in the Keys. We had wings that were very good but the star was the yellowtail snapper sautéed with sweet potato fries. The snapper was better than at The Fish House and almost half the price. Service was excellent and friendly. A great Keys experience for us and a nice setting on the canal.

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Great Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I dined here the last night of our stay in the Keys and it was wonderful! The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. The atmosphere is authentic and very friendly. This is a definite stop when visiting the Keys. You will not be disappointed!

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Laid back good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

This is a bar with a restaurant. When we were there it was semi full of locals that were very willing to engage us in conversation. They had a huge variety of beer because good beer joints do the. The service staff was good and the food bordered on excellent. I had the best clam chowder I have ever had. The seafood platter was good and the peel and eat shrimp very good. Even the dessert was excellent. Not bad for a small informal joint off the road somewhere in Key Largo. A very nice experience.