“Fantastic Family Vacation!”

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
Dublin, Ohio
“Fantastic Family Vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

This first sentence should say a lot about this hotel....I spent 5 nights here with a baby, a pregnant wife and my mother-in-law and had a really great time! We found an extremely low rate on the hotel from Hotwire.com, and I will say for the amount that we paid it was an incredible deal. When I called a few weeks before the trip to confirm the reservation they gave us a free upgrade to an oceanview room on the top floor and the view of the ocean and sunsets really added to the trip. When we first booked I was slightly worried because of the high number of negative reviews on TripAdvisor, and some of the comments that we read about we found to be true, but in no way does this hotel deserve a 1 out of 5 rating that I've seen plenty of.
The hotel is about an hour and 20 minute drive from the Miami airport, and the hotel had plenty of parking available, most of the time we were able to find a spot very close to the main entrance. Check-in was very quick and the workers at the front desk were friendly, and gave a nice explanation about the property and daily activities. As I stated before, we were given an ocean view room on the 4th floor, and I do highly recommend upgrading to an oceanview room, and asking for one on the top floor. Between the beach and hotel is a very tall and dence mangrove forest so the lower floor rooms will have more of a view of the trees than the actual ocean. But the view of the water was incredible, and we had some stunning sunsets while we were there. The room itself was nice, but nothing that blew us away. The beds were very comfortable, and the room had a good sized refrigerator and flat screen TV, but the furniture did show some signs of wear, and there was some places that could use a fresh coat of paint. But we never felt that the room wasn't clean, and the housekeeping staff did a very nice job cleaning the room every day and left some towel animals for our daughter which was a nice touch. I can see how some of the other reviews complain about the quality of the room, but we don't go on vacation to sit in the hotel room. We go for the sun, water and beach, and that was the best part about this resort.
The beach area was really fun, and we were out there most of the day for the entire trip. My wife typically likes spending time at the pool and not on the beach, but we spent almost no time at all at the pool. The pool is in a weird location, you have to cross the the parking lot and it's near the Overseas Highway so you get a lot of roadway noise, so we opted for the beach instead. The beach area isn't huge, but there are tons of chairs, a great beach bar, and you can rent all kinds of water sports right on the beach as well. The one thing I noticed about the beach area, and I thought was the most telling thing about the resort as a whole, was that every single person I saw was having an absolutely great and relaxing time at the beach. There is almost no surf at all, and some of the days the water was nearly glass smooth. The water was really clear and warm, and the snorkeling right off the beach was pretty decent. A few of the days we saw stingrays and blue crabs less than 10 feet from shore, and all of the kids in the water thought it was pretty cool. The calm water is great for kids as well, and the activities director (I think her name was Lisa) really went all out to teach the kids about the sea critters and made sure everyone was having a good time. The beach bar was nice, and we did eat lunch there one day. The food was good, although pretty pricey, but that's just how hotel food is. But there is tons of lunch and dinner options in Key Largo and Tavernier that are just minutes away, so if you have a car I'd probably recommend that.
We did not eat at the Treetops restaurant, but we did make our way up there just to check it out, and it looked really nice. I think it has been recently renovated and had some great views of the ocean. I can't really think of much else to mention about this resort, but don't be put off by all the negative reviews of this hotel. The value for what we paid was outstanding, and the location and staff couldn't have been better. If you are looking for luxury you may want to try the Cheeca Lodge and Spa or look in Key West, but if you are looking for a laid back, fun, family friendly resort definitely give the Hilton Key Largo a try. We had a great 6 day trip there and I would go back in a second. If you have any questions about the hotel feel free to ask, I should be able to get back to you pretty quickly. Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: Request a 4th floor, oceanview room. The views of the sunsets and ocean are amazing!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kyle5599

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed three nights at the Hilton Key Largo while attending a scuba diving wedding in Key Largo. It was a beautiful resort and location, and the activities were great, even for our 4-year old. Staff was superb, very kind and accommodating, and food was delicious - even the free continental breakfast was fresh and great.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We came for a 3 day trip to the everglades and for R&R. The drive from MIA was straightforward (about 1.30h). the lobby is large and nicely cooled with very friendly and efficient staff. As a HHonors there are a few amenities- free water, slow Wi-fi (nice for relaxation!) and a continental breakfast- for $5 more you can upgrade to a full breakfast. Staff throughout were there for you and they always were smiling!

The room was fine, the decor needed work on but this could be from the humidity associated with Key Largo, The beds were comfortable and there was a small balcony overlooking the water. The TV station provided good entertainment, though the children had their own DVD player.

The restaurant/bar- Treetops had a happy hour and I would recommend the Mahi bites- delicious and spicy. The drinks were reasonably priced as were the meals.

The swimming pool with waterfalls were fine- not too cold and the exercise room was up to date. The beach was very nice and they had nightly activities for everyone to enjoy.

The Denny's nearby was perfect for Wi-fi and the children's breakfast- $2 for cheese quesedillas and $2 for 2 huge pancakes. Also 2 miles down the road towards key west was Snappers- a great restaurant and you feed your left overs to the fish!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Duddoo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a couple for 7 nights in October 13.
Having both lived and also holidayed in the US, from the North East to the South West I'd consider my opinion to be levelled and open-minded.
My general overview would be that it's an average hotel, although not quite at the standard you'd expect from the Hilton brand; in short, both the Marriott and Holiday Inn Key Largo are better, in both location within Key Largo itself and also of a better general standard.

Good points: very close to the beach, the breakfast buffet and dinner restaurant (tree Tops) serves decent quality food, WIFI is included (in the mandatory resort charge), ample parking (again at cost), the resort itself is clean, the water sports amenities and standard is high and the staff around the pool area are very warm, welcoming and helpful (special note to Lisa who's been there over 20 years).

Bad points: We we're put in room 467 (top floor, at the furthest point from the main hotel) which was tired and not overly spacious. It needed a deep clean at the very least. The pool area is located at the front of the hotel (in the car-park), which made it noisy from the main road from Miami to Key West being less than 20ft from the pool. To counter this the resort has put a waterfall in the pool which rather loud... The pool itself needs a deep clean; I'm talking deep-grime around the edges of the pool. Furthermore, the sunbeds are rather old, full of stale sun cream and a number of them are broken. At lunch, there are two areas to eat; the pool bar or a cooking trailer (yes, a cooking trailer) on the beach; not quite what I'd expected, but quaint nonetheless. The food served here is very basic; burgers, taco's etc. it's much easier and cheaper to get in the car to drive to one of the plentiful sandwich/tiki bars in key largo (circa 2-4 miles up the road). This leads me onto a major point in my mind. There are better hotels such as the Marriott or Holiday Inn, better located ie in the centre of Key Largo, where you can walk out of without having to get in the car.

Final point, as a H Rewards member of nearly 10 years I was rather surprised to be told that the rewards floor of the hotel was full when we checked in; it was clear that the hotel was running at less than 60% full. I accepted that, as it was 9pm at night and just wanted to get to our room. The room fills up at weekends with visitors on short breaks, although by Tuesday the hotel returned to 50-60% occupancy. I was therefore taken aback when I asked for a late checkout on the day we were due to depart (a Tuesday) only to be told by a rather rude receptionist called Lianne that we could check out late, although a charge of $100 was mandatory! When I asked if this was normal, given that the hotel was so empty and that we were H members. At this, she relented and 'offered' us a reduced charge of only $75! We declined the offer, even though our flight wasn't until 9pm, we decided to head out early and took lunch in another hotel; the ironic point was that we only wanted to check out late so that we could take lunch in the hotel in the first place.

In summary, we enjoyed the Keys, we enjoyed Florida in General and would come back. We would however, certainly not return to the Hilton Key largo. I'd recommend the Marriott or the Holiday Inn, both for the standard of both hotels and also their location. I see now, why the Hilton Key Largo was empty in comparison to these two.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarcusB464
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in October 2013 as a couple as part of our Florida Keys 2 week holiday. Originally we booked for 5 nights but decided to extend our stay to 8 nights as we enjoyed the place so much.
We did have some initial concerns having read some previous reviews but as soon as we arrived we knew we had made a good choice. Yes, there are some signs of wear and tear and the place could do with some improvements, ie bedroom furniture is slightly dated but on the whole the place is very comfortable.
Our room was very clean and the daily maid was very good. The general public areas also very clean. Some stains on the bedroom carpet but you really have to look to find them and they're easily ignored. The beds are extremely comfortable and I had the best nights sleep I have had in years and probably one of the most comfortable beds I have every stayed in.
We paid more to upgrade to fourth floor to guarantee the sea view and it was worth the extra. I would agree with some previous comments that if you are on the lower or ground floors then the "sea view" would not be visible which might disappoint some.
The beach here was what sold it to us and is apparently the largest beach in the Florida Keys.
My only complaint would be the Wifi- you pay for this as part of the $18 per night (plus tax) resort charge. Wifi in our room was very hit and miss and we frequently lost signal even while just sitting in one spot in the room. When we checked out we were told this is a known issue and management are reviewing this. The receptionist was was very accommodating and waived the resort charge because of this Wifi issue.
On the whole I would definitely recommend this hotel and we plan to stay here again next time we visit key Largo.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew B
Seattle, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Noise level from other patrons while inside the room was zero; room fairly quiet which is always a pulse. The bed was very comfortable. The quality of food was horrible and extremely overpriced, go to Denny's down the street, do not bother with any of their food items. Beware of the water view as the trees block your so-called "water view."

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

great weekend getaway resort. amenities very good and beach is actually good for the keys. Needs a spa to complete the full resort amenities. Go eat outside of the hotel for great dining. Nice resort and prices were decent compared to other resorts.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Atlantic Bay Resort
Atlantic Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Tavernier
Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Hilton Key Largo Resort? Share your experiences!