This first sentence should say a lot about this hotel....I spent 5 nights here with a baby, a pregnant wife and my mother-in-law and had a really great time! We found an extremely low rate on the hotel from Hotwire.com, and I will say for the amount that we paid it was an incredible deal. When I called a few weeks before the trip to confirm the reservation they gave us a free upgrade to an oceanview room on the top floor and the view of the ocean and sunsets really added to the trip. When we first booked I was slightly worried because of the high number of negative reviews on TripAdvisor, and some of the comments that we read about we found to be true, but in no way does this hotel deserve a 1 out of 5 rating that I've seen plenty of.
The hotel is about an hour and 20 minute drive from the Miami airport, and the hotel had plenty of parking available, most of the time we were able to find a spot very close to the main entrance. Check-in was very quick and the workers at the front desk were friendly, and gave a nice explanation about the property and daily activities. As I stated before, we were given an ocean view room on the 4th floor, and I do highly recommend upgrading to an oceanview room, and asking for one on the top floor. Between the beach and hotel is a very tall and dence mangrove forest so the lower floor rooms will have more of a view of the trees than the actual ocean. But the view of the water was incredible, and we had some stunning sunsets while we were there. The room itself was nice, but nothing that blew us away. The beds were very comfortable, and the room had a good sized refrigerator and flat screen TV, but the furniture did show some signs of wear, and there was some places that could use a fresh coat of paint. But we never felt that the room wasn't clean, and the housekeeping staff did a very nice job cleaning the room every day and left some towel animals for our daughter which was a nice touch. I can see how some of the other reviews complain about the quality of the room, but we don't go on vacation to sit in the hotel room. We go for the sun, water and beach, and that was the best part about this resort.
The beach area was really fun, and we were out there most of the day for the entire trip. My wife typically likes spending time at the pool and not on the beach, but we spent almost no time at all at the pool. The pool is in a weird location, you have to cross the the parking lot and it's near the Overseas Highway so you get a lot of roadway noise, so we opted for the beach instead. The beach area isn't huge, but there are tons of chairs, a great beach bar, and you can rent all kinds of water sports right on the beach as well. The one thing I noticed about the beach area, and I thought was the most telling thing about the resort as a whole, was that every single person I saw was having an absolutely great and relaxing time at the beach. There is almost no surf at all, and some of the days the water was nearly glass smooth. The water was really clear and warm, and the snorkeling right off the beach was pretty decent. A few of the days we saw stingrays and blue crabs less than 10 feet from shore, and all of the kids in the water thought it was pretty cool. The calm water is great for kids as well, and the activities director (I think her name was Lisa) really went all out to teach the kids about the sea critters and made sure everyone was having a good time. The beach bar was nice, and we did eat lunch there one day. The food was good, although pretty pricey, but that's just how hotel food is. But there is tons of lunch and dinner options in Key Largo and Tavernier that are just minutes away, so if you have a car I'd probably recommend that.
We did not eat at the Treetops restaurant, but we did make our way up there just to check it out, and it looked really nice. I think it has been recently renovated and had some great views of the ocean. I can't really think of much else to mention about this resort, but don't be put off by all the negative reviews of this hotel. The value for what we paid was outstanding, and the location and staff couldn't have been better. If you are looking for luxury you may want to try the Cheeca Lodge and Spa or look in Key West, but if you are looking for a laid back, fun, family friendly resort definitely give the Hilton Key Largo a try. We had a great 6 day trip there and I would go back in a second. If you have any questions about the hotel feel free to ask, I should be able to get back to you pretty quickly. Thanks for reading.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No other hotel offers a Florida Keys vacation experience quite like the Hilton Key Largo. This pristine, 13-acre resort sits on the best private beach in the upper Keys — and while it’s only an hour from Miami, you’ll feel worlds away, thanks to the sparkling white sand, lush tropical greenery and exciting outdoor activities.Guests at the Hilton Key Largo can enjoy as much excitement or relaxation as they like. Activities include world-class fishing and water sports, jet skis, wave runners, and para sailing. Nearby attractions include Dolphin Cove and the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, which is home to the only live coral reef in the continental United States. Kids love the hotel’s Scout About children’s program, and the whole family can enjoy the two heated swimming pools, fitness center and lighted tennis courts. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with spending hours just relaxing on the gorgeous beach and swimming in the crystal clear waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Or enjoying quiet moments in the handsomely appointed guest rooms, each of which is graced with a private balcony — opt for a water-view room and you’ll have a front-row seat for Key Largo’s spectacular sunsets. This is paradise, made easy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Hilton Hotels Direct, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Key Largo Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Key Largo Hotel Key Largo
- Hilton Hotels Key Largo
- Hilton Hotel Key Largo
- Key Largo Grande Resort Beach Club
- Hilton Key Largo Resort Florida