“Great time”

Hilton Key Largo Resort
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed 2 days here and really enjoyed ourselves. They have a lovely beach and offer lots to do. We took advantage of playing tennis,basketball, table tennis and bag-go. They also had a adult pool which we also enjoyed apart from the family pool, which was very nice. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Would happily stay here again.
They had a lot of family friendly activities as well.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mjrrnc

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We decided to stay here because it was close to Dolphins Plus and it had its own beach. We arrived at 2, but we were told that our room was not available until 4pm. Our reservation stated that check-in was at 4pm (check out is noon). There is a hotel charge of $18 (which is on the reservation) for the parking, Wi-Fi, fishing pole usage, and fitness center. We sat on the beach with our lap tops and waited for our room to be ready. The beach was so relaxing. The water sports hut had a steady stream of people checking out equipment and returning equipment. The guys that ran it seemed to have a good handle on everything. There were plenty of chaise lounges and you could move it into the shade of the trees or sit in the full sun. The towel stand had plenty of towels available.

A little after 4pm, we returned to the front desk and they told us that our room was ready. We had room 341. It had a nice view of the ocean, but during the sunset we had to go around the ball room to get good pictures. The room was quiet and comfortable. The balcony was nice to sit on as the sun was setting. The hallways are open to the outdoors so there is no carpeting. Makes the resort look a little spartan.

The fitness room had 4 treadmills, one bike, and a couple of elliptical machines. There were free weights and a universal gym. There is a sign posted that states that children under 16 were not allowed in the gym, but a couple of parents disregarded the sign or didn't see it. The sign is on a post and should be at the front door (if mgmt. wants this to be more enforced). The kids were well behaved and no one was waiting for the treadmills that they were using.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th floor room overlooking the gulf
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My husband and I had just come down from Miami. We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne bay
and that was a lovely hotel with great service.
We expected great things here as well. We were completely disappointed. We arived at 3 and had requested an early check in. No rooms were ready, we were told we would get a call and it should be soon. At least by four. We went to the beach bar and grille for food and drinks to wait. Another awful experience. It took 15 minutes to get a drink, then the bartenders argued about who would serve us. Next JD or JP complained about his life while dripping sweat everywhere. Really grosse. Two other staff members floated by and no one jumped in to help. Other patrons just wanted some beers, which they had run out of and not restocked. We went back to check our rooms at four, still nothing. We stayed in the lobby directly in front of the desk, at 4:45 someone else checked us in. We were offered breakfast for the wait. Then kevin called us while we were at the counter and stated he had not seen us to get us checked in sooner. On the way to the room the the buildings farther away from the lobby looked unkept, grimy and worn down.
We got to the room, what a disappointment. Stucco/drwall comimg off in the bathroom and rust building up. Stains all over the carpet, cobwebs, mold and large amounts of dust on the lamp shades. I have stayed in cleaner mom and pop places. There apparently are fishing poles to check out from the gift shop, that information was given to us from an employee the next day at about three in the afternoon. We will not go back.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelly W, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

We appreciate you that you chose to stay with us during your travels through Florida. We're so disappointed to hear about your service experiences and the cleanliness issues you and your husband encountered. This is certainly not acceptable and we're addressing your concerns with the appropriate team members and additional training will be offered. Thank you for alerting us and we hope we'll have a chance to show you our improvements and offer you a better stay.

Kind regards,
Kelly
kelly.wilken@hilton.com

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had an absolutely wonderful stay at this Hilton property! I do not get the negative reviews at all! It is a truly unique property, set on a large waterfront location on the bay side allowing for memorable sunsets. A large part of the property overlooks the mangrove hammock providing a private vista from the upper floors. You can wander through the mangrove's nature trails to find small but special and peaceful beach areas with hammocks, adirondack and lounge chairs under the mangroves. Ahhhhh..... If Nathaniel is working he will stop by and bring drinks and whatever else you need to ensure you are having a relaxing time while still enjoying the amenities offered. (Thank you Nathaniel!!)
The property has two beaches, a small quiet southern area and one on the northern end which is larger with many lounge chairs, a game area with ping pong tables and other assorted activities, a tiki hut for drinks, and the watersports center where you can arrange trips or rent kayaks, paddle boards etc. If you have never been to the keys you should be aware that the keys are not known for wide expanses of beach, but for smaller more intimate spaces and even rocky shores. This property has great beach areas for the keys! It is shallow, with gentle waves and a nice Sandy bottom which is perfect for wading out. I saw dolphins from my lounge chair as I sipped on a drink in my private mangrove beach. Perfect!!
There are also two nice pools, one adult and one family, both with waterfalls. And a hot tub with a small cozy Asian inspired garden. The pools are not by the beach, they are off the parking lot in the front but are landscaped beautifully and provide a nice relaxing environment. We took advantage of the free bicycle and helmet rentals, and enjoyed the separate bike path that runs along but off the highway.
We were fortunate enough to get a room upgrade, to the grand suite on the fourth floor overlooking the bay. Wow! It was generously sized and had all the bells and whistles - wet bar, dining table, sofas and chairs, two separate vanity areas, stand up shower, jacuzzi tub, two flat screen TVs. The best part was the double balcony with a huge sliding door that stacked as you opened it so that the entire room opened up to the balcony to make a huge indoor/outdoor space! The weather was amazing so we had fully opened that slider and enjoyed the nice breeze. Ahhhh.....
We had breakfast twice, the buffet once - had a nice average selection, and ordered off the menu the second time. The crab cake eggs Bennie were fabulous!!! ...as were the breakfast potatoes!
The only issue was the wifi and cell reception, but I learned rather quickly if I hold my phone at a certain angle I got uninterrupted reception 90% of the time no matter where I was on the property. (Sorta facing southwest)
We were treated well by everyone we encountered and would return in a minute! Thank you for a great stay!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

It was our first time staying inKey Largo, we usaually stay down in Key West at the Southernmost Hotel which is a 10+, but we where looking for a different experience and chose the Hilton Resort in Key Largo. I was very disappointed in the room and beach area. There where many great resturants in town. Not a good hotel choice but I didn't let it ruin my vacation!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This resort is great family friendly place to stay. We can not say enough positive things about or experience! The hotel staff was very friendly always happy and willing to help you out in any way. The grounds are beautiful and well kept up sunsets are amazing off the dock or from our balcony !! There is lots of things to do for the kids ping pong bags basketball tennis pool hot tub bike riding fishing off the dock swim in the gulf or just relaxing on the beach !The only negative was the wifi needs to be updated or repaired We would go back in a heart beat !! Great place to stay!!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hotel was chosen for a few simple reasons. And we had problems with the most important reasons for us choosing this hotel. Location- This was the only hotel within a certain distance of our ultimate destination that had the "amenities" necessary to accommodate our meeting. Size of conference room/internet access-The conference room was supplied to us but no note pads or pens were supplied. It was a good size at least. Internet was $175 a day for the conference room, but did not work properly in the rooms--thank goodness we did not opt to pay for the internet! Restaurant amenities/Food and Beverage- on the website it says that lunch was available, except the tree tops restaurant was closed for lunch. How do you advertise there is lunch but then not supply any? We had a group of 30 people, the bar down by the beach could not support that amount of people. Lunch was a complete disaster the first day of the meeting. It took an extra hour for us to figure out what to do...which ended up being that we had to LEAVE the hotel to get lunch. The price of breakfast was absolutely ridiculous. Lunch was also expensive! I understand we pay a premium, but $16 for an omelet? Which ended up getting me sick and I spent the entire day in the bathroom....But that's a different issue. I also did not like that there were no late night places to get any snacks, or a bar that was open... this is a vacation spot... why is it that you cant get a drink after the sun goes down? Hotel Staff Interaction- The lady in the Gift Shop did not even look up at me to tell me a total for my purchase. Not a "good morning" greeting...NOTHING. She was too busy watching YouTube. I don't believe I spoke with any other staff member at this hotel the 3 days I was staying, except for the bar tender at the beach bar...oh and the bell hop which helped me move things from one room to the other since the concierge checked the wrong people into my room (more on that in my next paragraph)...Those two great to talk to and friendly. Reservation Accuracy/Check-in/Check-Out -I had two rooms under my name, with 3 people booked to stay. For some reason Reception checked in the first two people that arrived (neither person was me) into separate rooms. I had to get in touch with one of the other guys to have them move rooms before reception would move any of their belongings. THIS WAS MY RESERVATION! Explain that one to me please. This ordeal took 30 minutes to resolve. Not a good check in AT ALL. Check out wasn't an issue.. I just didn't like that the things charged to the room were not Itemized.... Billing/Rates- $219 a night plus resort charges, taxes....etc... for a business trip is absolutely ridiculous. We did not use the amenities to get charged a resort fee... Everything closes by the time our meeting was over! Overall...This was NOT a good Experience. I WISH we could have stayed at the Marriott...but their meeting room wasn't big enough. I am extremely disappointed. $800 for three days per room...Next time I'll drive from Miami down to Key Largo every morning!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Orlendina D, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're very sorry about the service missteps you encountered and have shared your detailed comments with the appropriate members of our team. Your review will help us ensure such issues are avoided in the future and that we're paying close attention to details. If you have any additional comments, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. Thank you again.

Best regards,