“Hilton can do better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
Orlando, Florida
“Hilton can do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was my third stay at this Hilton. The first two stays I would rate it a 9 or 10. This time a 7 because of of the poor internet service, they turn off the north elevator at night without telling anyone and the property appears to look dated.
My first two stays, I felt like I was in Phuket, Thailand because the property is on the gulf and in a park like setting. The views of the gulf from your room and the restaurant are great, could not ask for better. Even with the hotel's shortcomings, I still plan on returning because of the location.

Room Tip: Hotel is a park like setting. Great views of the gulf!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband & I stayed here in April 2014 as the first part of our honeymoon drive around southern Florida & it is my favorite of all places we stayed. Everything was perfect. The staff was super friendly and went above & beyond to make us feel welcome. The food was delicious. The suite was wonderful: the bed was very comfortable, the balcony view was gorgeous, and the hot tub, shower, and restroom area was very nice. The hammocks by the water were perfect! I absolutely loved every part of this place and will go back again someday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rhondat64
Mid Florida, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was shocked to see how outdated this Hilton is. It advertise as a resort but really it is a low level hotel ( rooms). I love dogs but not when I am on vacation and trying to sleep in. The room next door had a dog in it and it barked through the night and all that morning. I suggested to the staff they may want to have some rooms designated for guest with pets.

I found worms crawling in my room on 2 different days.

The staff was great and very accommodating. The beach area, tiki bar and the rest of the area at this location is beautiful.

Room Tip: Do not do lower level rooms. I think this is why I had the worms in my room. The hotel is surrounded...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank cookiemonster202
Kelly W, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your honesty; our guest room appearance is an area we are actively examining with our ownership. We will take your additonal comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience.
Warm Regards,
Kelly Wilken
Director of Rooms

Travellers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We visit Key Largo once a year and enjoy the Hilton---everything you could want in one spot. We especially enjoy the Eco-tour. It's an easy drive from Miami/ Lauderdale and is a more laid back vibe than Key West with it's crazy crowds. The breakfast buffet is yummy but pricey$ $ even with the B& B love. South end grand view rooms( top floor) provide best view. DON'T bother with nonview room--- you'd miss the Keys' ambiance. Best time to visit Oct/ Nov.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Dorothy M
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

...whatever happened to you? I remember a day where Hilton was synonymous with quality and high standards. This resort has clearly seen better days and is need of repair, refurbishment and staff! It is also the third stay in a Hilton property for me in six months (Ft. Lauderdale airport, Lake Buena Vista and now Key Largo) and, honestly, all three have moved the Hilton brand down a few notches in my mind.

First, the resort. I think I saw three staff members in two days! Not that anyone was unpleasant by any means but it was a ghost town. Definitely felt like the resort wasn't doing well and cannot afford to have more staff or nice things. The building is definitely older with old doors/lack of soundproofing, outdoor room access with creaky old elevators, and drainage issues when it rains.

Roomwise: I will say the bed was comfortable and the view quite lovely. I was supposed to have a water view but, as the trees have grown up around the property, they have not updated their views in the computer system so we saw trees and no water. Also the person or people cleaning our room had clearly taken shortcuts. The glasses were dirty and the ice bucket had not been cleaned nor the tray underneath it in a few visits. Made me wonder about other cleaning practices...

In fairness it rained our entire first day of a two day trip which of course is no fault of the hotel but bummed us out nonetheless so it was easy to see things that were wrong. Thank goodness we just needed a place to stay overnight on our way to Key West though I am sure I could have found cheaper accommodations offering similar quality elsewhere. At least other places have free breakfast! I would not return.

Room Tip: If you want a water view confirm that actually does once you check in or ask for reassignment.
1 Thank Jonathan T
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

After reading so many negative reviews of this hotel, we were very skeptical about staying there. Well, as far as I'm concerned, the place was complete paradise. Reminded me of staying in the south of France, or better yet on an island (reachable by ferry only, and no cars) called The Porquerelles off of Toulon in south of France, just minus the sound of locusts.

We were upgraded to a beautiful and very clean room on the third floor overlooking a canopy of trees and the beautiful bay. There was a convenient little (empty) refrigerator in the desk, a lovely balcony, and crisp white linens with a down comforter and a white cotton coverlet. No bath robes, but I called room service and they were delivered promptly. For our purposes, it was perfect.

I loved the outdoorsy, tropical feeling of the hotel, easy goingness of this place, a real treat nowadays. We had the delicious brunch buffet each morning at Treetops... lots of fruit, pastries, juices, pancakes, french toast, sausages and bacon, omelets made to order, etc. One can sit inside in AC, or outside overlooking the canopy of trees and the bay. Service was there when you needed it, not overbearing at all.

Check-in was smooth. It is just beautiful driving into this paradise/resort. Parking lot is one of most beautiful I have seen, with vegetation all over the place. We were early (arrived in Miami, rented a convertible and had lunch at Alabama Jack's) and room was promised to be ready by 4 (which it was), so we changed at pool dressing rooms and began using facilities. There is the north beach, which is crowded and fun, with a tiki bar and food truck. Towels are abundant, water is always available, there are games on the beach, including a ping pong table (they could use more.... it was always busy). People drag their lounge chairs into the water. You can rent sailboats, kayaks, paddle boards etc. here. Also, I noticed people with coolers, so you can make what you want out of that, but my suspicion is that people do bring their own alcohol in, but are very discreet.

I really loved the south beach, or the hammock beach. Not crowded, very quiet. You can sit under one of the many mangrove like trees for shade right by the water, or in one of the many hammocks. There are areas for sun also. You can sit there all day surrounded by beauty and quiet and just read. No towels or beach service available there, as far as I could see, but who cares. Also, the water the seemed to be a little more refreshing than at the north beach. You can swim out pretty far, too. We had drinks on this beach one night, sat in the lounge chairs and watched the sunset. Perfect.

BTW, insects didn't seem to be a problem.

We also enjoyed the pier, which is situated between the north and south beach. We walked out at night, lay down and gazed at the stars and moon.

There is a delightful jungle path that one walks along to get to the beaches (or restaurant, or massage tent).

The pools were adequate, but not a main draw for us. We loved playing on the tennis courts which are lit at night and in excellent condition. (we brought our own rackets and balls).

The first night there we did get salads from Treetops, being so exhausted, and were disappointed. One can order from Papa Johns down the road (they evidently deliver a lot), but no salads, just pizza, chicken wings, that sort of thing. We also were misled into going to a horrible restaurant in Islamadora one night.... Next time it is Snappers (had drinks there and loved it for its Key Largoness), Pilot House (another key Largo institution on Ocean side, but in marina), and Mrs. Macs (just adorable, we got key lime pie there). Also spent time at John Pennecamp park, swimming, kayaking in the mangroves, and doing a really fun 2.5 hr. snorkeling trip out to the reefs.

We loved staying at the Hilton for its peacefulness, beauty, ease. You can even wear your bathing suit (with a cover-up of course) to the breakfast buffet. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Most of the room do face the water, but if you're on 1st (which are way off the ground and priva...
4 Thank Edward C
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Lovely location on the beach. Could hear next door and people above when moving around. Carpet , not good, put flip flops on when getting out of the shower. Yuck. Pets are allowed at this hotel so who knows what the stains were. Shower was broken, T.V remote was broken and sink plug didn't work. They charge 18.00 dollars a day whether you want it or not for Wi-Fi beach activities, which we didn't use or see much of. This also included the charge for parking!!!!!?? Why they charge paying guests i don't know. The restaurant and bar are expensive. We enjoyed the Keys but if we go back we won't be staying at the Hilton, over rated.

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

2 Thank JC64100
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the condition of your accomodations. Your comments will help us to correct these issues. We hope you will reconsider staying with us the next time you are in Key Largo.
Warm Regards,
Coconut Palm Inn
Coconut Palm Inn
#2 of 19 in Key Largo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,207 reviews

Been to Hilton Key Largo Resort? Share your experiences!