“ant problem”

Hilton Key Largo Resort
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I left my drink out came back ants were in it they were claiming up a wall. But it was a great view and you should go down at sun set it was great if you want to go In the sea go early in day it's to hot and they were a lot of fish.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kelly W, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We certainly apologize that the ants invaded your drink and thus the room; I hope we were able to resolve this for you while here at the resort. I am pleased you were able to witness one of spectacular sunsets while here. We hope you'll have another opportunity to see one here again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Key Largo for 4 days beginning July 4th. Before our stay, I contacted the activities director named on the website, Lisa Boles, to ask for suggestions on seeing fireworks and snorkeling. Lisa replied within a couple of hours with some great suggestions (Island Time Cruises for fireworks view from bay, and Keys Diver for snorkeling). We tried both and were happy. Before we arrived, I read both the positive and negative reviews of the property and braced my family for what might be an unpleasant stay. We were thrilled with what we found at the hotel and property. We stayed in a 2nd floor canopy view double. I had requested upgrades prior to the stay as a Hilton honors gold member, but it being the holiday weekend, the hotel was fully booked. Without my asking for anything, the front desk person provided free upgraded breakfast for the three of us for our stay. The breakfast buffet and made to order eggs were great. They also allowed me to apply my voucher towards a different menu item one day. The beds were extremely comfortable and the hotel grounds are beautiful. Yes, there were a few bugs including some mosquitoes that got into our rooms, but that's hard to prevent in a wooded setting in July anywhere in Florida. Some of the insects were even interesting to see; I took a picture of a yellow furry caterpillar (maybe an asp - don't touch one if you see it). I didn't mind the slightly dated furniture because everything was comfortable, and I absolutely love the rainforest like tree-lined paths leading to the beautiful small beaches. Even though we were there for a holiday weekend and the hotel was booked, it didn't feel over-crowded. We loved having on-site water sports available. From the time we checked in and were greeted at our car through checkout, every employee we encountered was very friendly and helpful. We are looking forward to visiting again next year.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TXTraveler2006

Thank you very much for the great review. We are delighted that you and your family were thrilled with your accomodation choice, as we know there are many options here in Key Largo. I am pleased to read you were able to enjoy our warm Hilton service and the many features of the resort. We certainly hope to see you on a return visit!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My Wife and I have just come back from taking our holiday in Florida and this hotel was a perfect place to start. lovely looking hotel and very helpful staff, we where very lucky as we manage to get a room with an ocean view, which was an upgrade on our booking. The views from the balcony where fantastic over the beach area and across the ocean. Manage to see Manatee one afternoon and plenty of fish when snorkelling just of the beach. The treetops restaurant and bar was a lovely area to relax with a lunch / dinner or couple of relaxing cocktails. Would recommend this hotel, as it has 2 pool areas one for families and one for adults only which was nice. The grounds are finished off very well. Special mention for Matthew the cocktail maker, worked the treetops bar and the pool bar during our stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view if you do not get an upgrade the view is well worth it
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michael b
Kelly W, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to complete the tripadvisor comment.. So pleased the location and your upgraded room suited your needs and you were able to enjoy so many of the views across the resort. It is wonderful how much wildlife you get to witness while staying with us.I will certainly pass on the feedback to Matthew. We are delighted he made a great impression with you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My Husband and I took an early 10 year Wedding Anniversary trip in the first part of May 2014 (sorry for the delay in writing my review) and chose the Hilton Key Largo - it was a fantastic decision. They had upgraded our room to a canopy view - 4th floor facing the ocean. Which I would pay the extra money for that view again. We had a great view of the ocean and the sunset. It's not far from Miami (where we flew into) and not too far from Key West (we spent a half day doing the touristy stuff down there) plus on our way back up to the airport (Miami) at the end of our stay, we stopped in the everglades for a few hours - which I was shocked by how much I liked that. The ocean is great. The beach is wonderful - a rarity along the Keys. It seems like they had different activities for the guests each night. We enjoyed the s'mores and live music one evening. On our first day, we saw a sting ray - I almost stepped on it - and it just swam away. We went down early one morning and saw manatees swimming RIGHT under the dock and there were dolphins at sunset. Everyone is very friendly there. Weddings - on a separate private beach - went on (I think) every evening while we were there but I didn't hear a thing. We were going to go parasailing but the boat was out of commission and they recommended a place right down the road but instead we wanted to stay put and rent paddleboards (SUP - stand-up paddleboard) and loved that. (On a side note - bring sunscreen lotion and LOTS of it!!) They do have a couple of pools and a hot tub but being from the midwest - the ocean is what we came for! We are hoping to head back this upcoming Spring with our Son and other family members in tow! THANK you to everyone who helped make our trip become one to remember!!

Room Tip: Ask for a canopy view - 3rd or 4th floor room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank littlevermis
Kelly W, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank your for your gracious comments and choosing us to spend your very special occasion with! We want to create happy, memorable experiences as much as our guests hope for them. I am very happy to read your comments and glad that you found the location and service levels of the hotel to your complete satisfaction. I have shared your feedback with all the team and I know they appreciate the recognition. We do hope to see you and your family next year!
Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We are staying here for one night tonight and it has to be the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. Check in was quick and efficient, but it stopped there. Our junior suite is clean but again it stops there. It is shabby and in dire need of decoration. We have just eaten in the treetops restaurant and while the food was good, we were given the check before we had been given our dessert and coffee. We were not going to runaway without paying. Sat at the bar for a pre-dinner drink and were ignored for at least 10 minutes while the bar,a served all the local people. Would we come here again - NEVER. Would we recommend - NEVER.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KBagg

Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Key Largo Resort. I appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest room appearance is an area we are actively examining with our ownership. Please accept my sincerest apologies we were not able to provide you with the quality accomodations you expected or the service level expected within our restaurant. I will be reviewing your comments about our service missteps with our food and beverage team. Additional training will be offered to ensure we are delivering the standards we all expect from a Hilton.
We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We spend one night here on our way further south. The hotel was not originally a Hilton. It is an open air property where you enter your room from an outside door. Rooms are comfortable and the Bay front has great views and balcony. Pool is nice but not too big. One pool is an adult pool. Hot tub is big. Great beach area for kids to play and run around. Food was great on the restaurant.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for spending the night with us and for the kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and got to experience the open air concept, which is distinctive characteristic throughout all of the Keys. We hope to have your family as our guests again in future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night at the end of a multi-day trip the middle and lower Keys. Disclaimer -- I used Hilton Honors rewards points, so maybe that colors my perceptions versus paying out of pocket. Anyway we were treated very well at check in -- received an upgrade to an ocean view room (that would be the rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor), received a voucher for the full breakfast buffet, and the resort fee was waived for us.
We had dinner in the onsite restaurant, as we had been driving a good part of the day and did not want to go back out. It was what you would generally expect -- satisfactory selections at a somewhat pricey level. Afterwards we watched a fabulous sunset; the hotel's location is great for viewing this time of year (late June).
This is the type of place where they would like you to never leave the grounds while you are there. A wide variety of facilities and activities are available -- two pools, bike rentals, tennis, a nice beach, a fishing dock, and a number of water rentals/activities. Granted, you might find better prices by going into Key Largo and shopping around, but the convenience of just being able to walk out of your room and down to the beach is strong selling point. We took an "eco tour" in the morning before we left -- visiting the mangroves and other scenery in the vicinity. The water boundary of the Everglades National Park is actually very close by. We saw manatees and dolphins while out, which was a thrill.
Some have complained about the lack of a view from the lower floors -- the "canopy view" as its called. The hotel, I think to its credit, has tried to maintain a lot of the natural setting around it, giving it almost a rain forest kind of feel. I personally would have completely satisfied with the view of the woods, but those who like a waterside view should be aware this is only available from the top two floors. As far bugs, spotty internet connectivity, etc. -- this is the Keys; chillax and go with the flow!
On the whole our quick visit was positive enough that we would consider staying for a couple of days or more on our next visit to the Keys.
Just one issue to advise about. If you are coming from the south, from Key West, like we were, the place can be a little hard to find. As you approach Key Largo, the north and south bound lands of the highway split, and there are a lot of trees, foliage, buildings, etc. in the median. To get to the hotel you have to actually pass it and then swing back around at the nearest connecting street. Unfortunately it is not visible from the northbound lanes and there is no signage (at least I saw none) indicating where you need to turn. Consequently, we had almost left Key Largo before it become evident we had missed the place. On the other hand, coming south from Miami, it will be very evident as you approach it.

Room Tip: I feel all are pretty good. If you like ocean views -- the 3rd or 4th floor. If your okay with nat...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive review. The many guest offerings and activities along with our nature setting are definitely a unique feature of our property and I'm happy to read that you have enjoyed them.
Thank you for your additional feedback about signage from the north bound lanes. We will certainly take this mention into consideration.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we will all be anxious to have you back!