We were making a trip from Cocoa Beach to Key West and wanted a place to stay on Sunday night (8/3), got to the hotel around 6 pm and checked in. We knew immediately there was a mosquito problem, as my wife and two daughters were attacked taking our bags to our 2nd floor room. Our room (204) was okay, but there was only a view of trees from the balcony, which was not inviting...also, there were a million mosquitoes out there, so there was not going to be any balcony time anyway. I went down to the gift shop and got the 2nd last bottle of mosquito spray...the last bottle was purchased by the couple behind me. The gift shop girl recommended a place called Snappers to eat, and we did wind up going there...a really nice place. Since we couldn't enjoy the resort because of all the mosquitos, we wound up staying in our room. However, having written all about the mosquitoes, I don't know what else the resort could have done, they were trying to dry out the puddles and they were fogging them. Being on the 2nd floor, naturally there were rooms above and below us. Every time the balcony doors opened (which was unfortunately very frequently), it sounded like a thunderstorm in our room. This was really annoying, but I didn't say anything. We left early the next morning to go to the John Pennekamp National Park for the 9 am glass bottom boat ride. We then drove down to Key West for two nights. I would rate this stay a 2 or 3.
While in Key West I tried to extend my stay at the DoubleTree by a night, but the hotel was sold out, so we decided to come back to the Key Largo Hilton and give the resort another chance...and this time they didn't disappoint. On Wednesday (8/6) we got the room upgrade I was expecting the first time which overlooked the water and beach (room 449), what a difference. The resort was dry without the puddles of water everywhere, and although there were a few mosquitoes around, 99% of the problem from Sunday was resolved. We got a late check out on Thursday, my daughters got to enjoy the beach and pool, and we were able to relax and enjoy a nice breakfast at the Treetops restaurant. This stay would have been a 5 star, no doubt. Assuming my second experience is more the norm, I would definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No other hotel offers a Florida Keys vacation experience quite like the Hilton Key Largo. This pristine, 13-acre resort sits on the best private beach in the upper Keys — and while it’s only an hour from Miami, you’ll feel worlds away, thanks to the sparkling white sand, lush tropical greenery and exciting outdoor activities.Guests at the Hilton Key Largo can enjoy as much excitement or relaxation as they like. Activities include world-class fishing and water sports, jet skis, wave runners, and para sailing. Nearby attractions include Dolphin Cove and the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, which is home to the only live coral reef in the continental United States. Kids love the hotel’s Scout About children’s program, and the whole family can enjoy the two heated swimming pools, fitness center and lighted tennis courts. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with spending hours just relaxing on the gorgeous beach and swimming in the crystal clear waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Or enjoying quiet moments in the handsomely appointed guest rooms, each of which is graced with a private balcony — opt for a water-view room and you’ll have a front-row seat for Key Largo’s spectacular sunsets. This is paradise, made easy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Key Largo Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Key Largo Hotel Key Largo
- Hilton Hotels Key Largo
- Hilton Hotel Key Largo
- Key Largo Grande Resort Beach Club
- Hilton Key Largo Resort Florida