Don't let the pictures fool you. The Kona Kai website makes it seem as if the place was a secluded sanctuary. It is but only if you wear blinders and earplugs. The property was tightly wedged between two other vacation properties. The cottages at Kona Kai were nice although some of the decor were out of place (dining room light fixture, cheap wardrobe in bedroom...). Certainly it was not worth the rates they demand. We woke up every morning to the chatter of guests at the property next door not to mention their car alarms and ignitions, and the endless vroom vroom of their motorcycles which were right outside our cottage window. This seemed to go on all day and into the evening. In fact, it would be difficult to find any peace and quiet all cottages outline the neighboring motels and are on KK pedestrian pathways so people are always walking by. Given the entire picture, I thought the place was extremely overpriced; I would not recommend it and have dissuaded several colleagues from staying there. We even cut our stay short since R&R was out of the question.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned and operated by the same family since 1991 and a "Fodor’s Choice" selection since 2009, Kona Kai is a magical hideaway, teeming with the natural beauty of old Key Largo and hand polished into one of the most exclusive resorts in the Florida Keys. With all new accommodations in 2013, Kona Kai is reserved for adults. Offering highly praised personalized concierge service, Kona Kai is regularly recommended by leading travel publications and websites. SInce the 2011 addition of "The Botanic Gardens at Kona Kai," guests enjoy our gardens day and night; complimentary tours for all registered guests are offered by our staff ethnobotanist. Kona Kai is a classic Keys experience; the perfect alternative if you're seeking to avoid the crowds and formality of a big resort. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Kona Kai Resort & Gallery Hotel Key Largo
- Kona Kai Resort And Gallery
- Kona Kai Resort, Gallery & Botanic Garden Key Largo, Florida