“Charming Exquisite slice of heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Kona Kai Resort, Gallery & Botanic Garden
Ranked #1 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jupiter, FL
“Charming Exquisite slice of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2007

This place is a GEM! Wow. You cannot help but relax here. You feel so well taken care of from the smalles littlelest touches that make staying at the Kona Kai a most memorable experience.

No need for shoes here! You can walk the immaculately groomed grounds which are so charming and quaint, yet luxurious at the same time! The pool is terrific and the afternoon I spent there, I had the entire pool to myself. Gorgeous gate. Great chaises. And, a cooler ready to serve you chilled water and fruit for the taking?? What could be better?

What's better is the dock and the cottages. Again-- 'charming' comes to mind for every aspect. Our "mango room" was a quaint, beautifully decorated upscale seaside cottage. It was steps from the pool AND the dock. The dock has chaises and table awaiting you and it's all so inviting.

The staff was terrific-- top notch. Just helpful enough without being overbearing. We asked for some references for dinner and Ronnie was MOST helpful and terrific about the area. We stayed 3 nights in Key West and I would come back here tenfold before heading that far south!

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank clink65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2007

I stayed here for my honeymoon in May 2006. Before staying at Kona Kai, we also stayed in Key West for a week.

Kona Kai was beautiful and the condo was very nice. We liked that this gave us the opportunity to grill and cook our own food and take a break from eating out.

It is a perfect place to go if you want someplace beautiful to relax, but if you are looking to have fun stick to Key West.

Stayed May 2006
4 Thank LovestotravelfromNJ
Nyack, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2007

My husband and I have just returned from our most recent stay at Kona Kai. We have been staying there for at least 10 years. We started just spending long weekends there and the long weekends are getting more like weeks, and still it is never enough time!
Joe, Ronnie and staff are so warm and welcoming and they do everything possible to accommodate any arrangements needed. They even accommodated a special request I made for my Valentine (my husband of 32 years) this trip, as we arrived late on Valentine's Day.
The property is immaculate and the grounds/ tropical gardens are beautifully maintained. As you walk over the little foot bridge, you feel as though you have entered Shangri-la, a feeling that stays with you for your entire stay!
We will return again and again, and it still will never be enough!

Sue and Mike

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank sueNyack
Marietta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Kona Kai from December 5th thru the 12th of this month and we could not have been happier with our experience (unless any of you know how to improve the weather ;-).

The property was immaculate and the suite was perfect! The staff made us feel welcome and their subtle attention during our stay made us feel well looked after. My job requires me to travel extensively, so when I vacation I look for a place that is NOT the standard commercial resort. The Kona Kai fits the bill for me. My wife and I truly felt like we were at our own place and the serenity and beauty of the facilities and grounds made us feel genuinely privileged.

Highlights for me were the way I felt each time I crossed over their entry bridge into the property (like entering paradise!), the Zen-like groomed beach area, the ping-pong table on the beach (where I dominated all comers ;-), the gorgeous sunsets sitting at the Tiki Hut at the end of the small quay, spending each sunrise sitting in the hot tub, and cuddling with my wife on a lazy afternoon in one of their hammocks!

On the trip home my wife and I talked about the "next" time so much that when we got back we immediately booked another week for this upcoming summer. Can't Wait!

Thanks Kona Kai for everything!

• Liked — That I felt like this was MY place in the Keys!
  • Disliked — Weather (everything else was wonderful)
  • Tips/Secrets — Savor all the small details!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank eiowen
Lancaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2006

Having read the reviews of this property from a year or so ago, and from reviewing the website, we were expecting this to be the highlight of our trip to Florida.

More recent reviews had indicated that this might not be the case.

I'm afraid the negative reviews were, on the whole, more accurate than the positive ones.

First the good points. The reception/check-in experience was excellent. The gardens are very tidy. Our room was also very clean and tidy. And the pool and outdoor hot-tub were great too.

Now the less good points. The room was VERY small for the price we paid. The whole resort makes far too much use of concrete and block paving stones. I would not like to swim from the small man made beach.

The fundamental problem with Kona Kai is that it is simply FAR too expensive for what you get. If I was paying half the price I paid, then I would not be complaining...and I stayed at the cheapest time of year!

Key Largo is not the smartest..or most expensive of the Keys. I just can't see how they can justify their prices.

We left Kona Kai feeling it was quite a nice resort, but that we had definitely been 'ripped-off'.

So...check other hotels on Key Largo...we found another small hotel (which also features on Trip Advisor) which was just as nice as Kona Kai, but half the price. Shop around!

• Liked — The pool and hot-tub
  • Disliked — The pricing
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank Daveyboyuk
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2006

Recently my wife and I, accompanied by her sister and boyfriend spent some time with the folks at Kona Kai. Initially, we were rather apprehensive as we had read the previous remarks from the person who stayed for one night and left (after we had already booked the room and suite). When we arrived, we were delighted to find that this resort and staff were certainly not deserving of the negative feedback provided by the previous guest.

We were impressed by how immaculate the grounds were and how quite and peaceful the location was. There were two other rooms occupied at the time and yet for such a small resort, we hardly ever saw the other guests. Chris and the rest of the staff were extremely accommodating and a pleasure to deal with. thinking back to when we booked the rooms a few weeks before Tracy was nothing but personable and professional.

To address some of the previous guests remarks I say this…”yes” there is no maid service…however this is mentioned in their web site. “Yes” we saw one cockroach which we quickly dispatched never giving it a second thought. Remember, the Kona Kai is on the edge of the Caribbean, with high humidity, nothing can be considered "air tight". “Yes” there is an aerator churning up the water inside the pier area (there is very little current and this is needed to control things such as algae), I applaud the resort for taking this extra step as many other resorts along the coast allow both algae and seaweed to accumulate into significant smelly amounts. Additionally, there are two clear swimming areas, one accessible from a ramp adjacent to the pier, the second from the floating dock.

The beach is beautiful and is raked daily into a corduroy pattern (this is serious attention to detail). We stayed in the Papaya suite and were very pleased. Each morning we ate an uninterrupted private breakfast at the table in courtyard under a tiki hut. Sitting in the courtyard amongst the exotic flowers and lush landscaping and tiny lizards really started the day off right.

At night there are lounge chairs along the pier to allow guests to sit and enjoy the sunsets on the bay. One caution, if there is no breeze after the sunset, the mosquito population of Key Largo will require a small donation.

The pool is perfect. Fresh towels are provided daily as well as an unlimited supply of bottled water (essential if you are vacationing in the Keys in August). The resort even provides towels should you choose to wonder off to one of the area beaches.

Although there is no food service on site, the resort provides guest with a list of places and directions to restaurants in the area (if you choose to not eat at Calypso’s or Morada Bay you are truly foolish).

We have stayed at many different resorts in the Keys. In the past we have been victims of strategically taken photos and well built web sites. I assure you that the Kona Kai is the real deal and is truly a gem in the Keys. We were very sad to leave…although a mandatory evacuation order for Ernesto came out only 72 hours after our departure. If you are looking for a resort that is quite, peaceful and pays serious attention to detail, I would say that this is the place. The advantage to only having 11 rooms and suites is their ability to ensure guests experience as close to a perfect stay as possible.

If asked would we return to the Kona Kia?
Our response would be “Absolutely, when do we leave?”.

• Liked — Attention to deatail
  • Disliked — Kayaks were a little too basic
  • Tips/Secrets — waterfront suites look really nice but not sure about the price increase
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Caug
Owner-KonaKai-Resort, Owner at Kona Kai Resort, Gallery & Botanic Garden, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear Caug:

Thanks for such a detailed and thoughtful review. As hotel owners, when Ronnie and I travel, we too, carefully consider Trip Advisor reviews. Like you write, some reviews can and do make one "apprehensive," even when the positive reviews outweigh the negative reviews 8 to 1. As you note, Kona Kai is for the vacationer looking "for a resort that is quiet, peaceful and pays serious attention to detail." Our staff greatly appreciates your noticing the details they work so hard to get right. Our website is comprised of photos taken by staff and guests, not professionals. Thanks for choosing Kona Kai; we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2006

Be careful, it is NOT what you think! We booked a vacation here, and left after one night. We asked for a refund and they flatly refused. Why would we leave? Why would we ask for a refund?

Well, we called up and asked specifically for a PRIVATE room (the lychee room to be exact – look it up on their website – see how they describe it!). This room was supposed to have a private patio in the back – just what we were looking for. Funny how they never mentioned over the phone (or on the website) that this backyard (and our room for that matter) was butt-up against the tennis court and the parking lot. Private?

“Beautiful Beach”? Funny how they didn’t mention the aerator pumping algae out of a little “alcove” of seaweed and algae thick water. I wouldn’t go in the water ankle deep, let alone take a swim. Funny how this isn’t mentioned on the website either.

No maid service, no room service. A nice sized cockroach greeting us in the kitchen sink when we walked in. The bedrooms’ “two full sized beds” were set up at 90 degrees to each other – so you had to squeeze between the two to get to the bathroom.

We’ve been to a lot of hotels, resorts and spas around the world. These folks paint a very luxurious picture – right down to the $30K works of sculpture for sale in the gallery. Only problem is, is it’s all a façade – with no support. They sell beautiful spa products in the gallery – but in the small cramped bathroom is a cheap bar of soap. No wonder they billed our credit card in full when we checked in.

Stayed July 2006
Seafarer Resort and Beach
Seafarer Resort and Beach
#4 of 19 in Key Largo
Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Kona Kai Resort, Gallery & Botanic Garden? Share your experiences!