“Nice location, walls thin”

Marina Del Mar Resort And Marina
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed 2 April 2013

This hotel sits right on the marina waterfront. It was beautiful to walk along the docks and see all the huge and beautiful ships. Also, it was very convenient for water adventures. It had a large pool with lots of chairs available. It's a little hard to find, but in a nice location in Key Largo. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful.

The room was decent sized. There was also a bathtub, which we did not have in any other room in the Florida Keys. It was nicely decorated. However, the bed was very hard. It would greatly benefit from a pillow top or foam cover. Worse than that was the thinness of the walls. We had a hard time falling to sleep, as we could hear all the talking and crying from the small children next door. Also, in the middle of the night I was woken abruptly due to loud, horrible noises of two cats fighting on the docks - and we were on the fourth floor! We expected a little more for the price.

Room Tip: There are elevators but they are very, very slow. If stairs are an issue, I would recommend requesti...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Good location for divers. Service OK. No coffee out when breakfast is not on. Nothing out until exactly 7AM, this was not convenient. Room was marginal, not very clean, very small, no porch, shower barely working. I would try another next time, it wasn't even the least expensie!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Louise K
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Stayed here in January with our dog as it is a pet friendly hotel. Was going diving so location is great as right on the water near dive shop. The pool is huge and inviting. The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed it - going back in April. For Key Largo - it is a good value and in a great location. the local park was close so we could walk the dog there as well.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2013

The Marina Del Mar hotel is the original hotel for this site so it is a bit dated. However the location, the room sizes and the ammenities like full kitchen made all the difference in the world for our trip. Beautiful view of the marina and close proximity to many activities including world class diving. If you are a diver you will love this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have small children, consider the Studio Suite with full kitchen. A huge help :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DiverDown13
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Upon entering bathroom, found a dead roach in middle of the floor.

Upon taking out the murphy bed for my son to sleep on I noticed the filth behind the bed. . Dog hair, dust, dirt and rodent droppings lurked under there. The bed was also broken and my son had to spend the night sleeping on an incline. It was a bit cold for Florida that evening and there were no extra blankets so I called the front desk and requested some. They came about 40 minutes later so we had to stay awake to wait for the blankets.

There is a bar just down the parking lot. It was nice to hear the music from about 7:00 to 9:30 however, as the night progressed, patrons of the bar wandered into our parking lot . This continued to go on until about 1:15 a.m. when I finally got out of bed and went downstairs to ask these people to leave or be quiet. That went well! A bunch of drunk girls and boys (college students) who think they own the world. I'm sure this happens alot with the bar right there so, I wondered, why don't they have a security guard there to ensure that their guests have a good night's sleep and to keep people from wandering from the bar onto the property? For the price you pay for the room, you would think they could afford a security guard from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. to control this problem.

The next morning while laying in bed I noticed my husband's feet were really really black on the bottom. He had recently purchased some new flip flops and I thought maybe that was the culprit. He went to the bathroom and cleaned the bottom of his feet. (see picture of towel). When he came out of the bathroom, he saw the bottom of my socks and said he did not think it was the flip flops but, it was the carpet in the bedroom. I wore my socks the evening prior around the room because, as I said, it was a bit chilly that evening. My socks were absolutely gross!! (see pictures). Obviously, the carpet in the bedroom has never been cleaned. When I used a wet wash cloth and rubbed it on the carpet, it turned black. I'm thinking the carpet needs to be replaced or, at least cleaned.

I decided to take a shower as I did not take one the evening before. Everything in the shower went fine until I got out. It appeared that the tub had been replaced recently and when I got out of the shower there was water all over the floor and upon close inspection I noted it was seeping out from the tub area by the wall where the plumbing was. I had to use most of our towels to clean up the water. Thank God the cleaning cart was parked right outside our sliding glass doors (blocking our view of the water) cause I was able to take more towels so my husband and son would have towels to dry off with after their shower and clean up more water.

When I opened the sliding glass doors to get the towels from the cleaning cart, the door was stuck and I looked up to see if there was some other lock for the door, which there was. Upon doing this, I noticed that the frame for the verticle blinds probably have never been dusted/cleaned. There was a good 1/2 inch or more of dust/dirt/grime all along the frame.

Several of our loovers on the windows of the unit did not work and were closed shut so we could not let in the Florida sunshine during the day. The "kitchen" is a sink and fridge and microwave. If you plan on cooking something, it better be microwaveable. The TV's are old as well. The towels had several stick-tights on them (those pesky little green stickers in Florida). You would think that once the towels are laundered and being folded, housekeeping would pull them off. The bed linens had stick-tights as well as human hair. When I pulled the covers back that first evening, there were several hairs and stick-tights lurking. The sheets appeared clean but, when they made the bed they did not even brush off the hairs or pull the stick-tights off that lingered there.

I just think for what we paid for the room, it should have been better. This place is in need of Hotel Impossible to come in and give them some advice.

Room Tip: Get a room far away from the bar that is at the end of the property.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Suzbaroo
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Se stayed the frist night of our trip to the keys. The room we got was not very nice. Old and not very well maintained. The price is reasonable, however spending another 50 bucks or so is well worth the money. The hotel is located at a channel. No access to beaches. The sorrounding re is not very nice. A noisy bar was located close to our room. We recommend to travel further south. Bahia Honda has a very nice beach.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frodroen
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed one night. The place is next to a channel. Convenient for boat trips etc. No access to beaches. The room was old and not very nice. The sorroundings are not very charming. There are plenty better places further south. Our advice is to travel on to the keys further south.

• Stayed: March 2013