“Not too bad for a stop over”

Marina Del Mar Resort And Marina
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
Adelaide, Australia
“Not too bad for a stop over”
Reviewed 5 August 2010

The photos are pretty goo for this place but in reality its more like 3 or 4 apartment blocks put together. Access the rooms from outside and parking is limited. I had two queen size beds and an outdated bathroom. Could be upgraded but not too bad for price and location.

Unfortunately I was at the other end of the motel. I was closer the next door motels bar, a bar that had a live band! Pretty loud till about 2330!

The best bit was the bar on water. Overall, would be good to stay at for a nights stay as there isn't much to do during the day at Key Largo anyway that would make u want to stay 2 nights. Not saying it was beautiful, just limited what to do.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We Actually stayed here the year before this lists, but I wanted to leave a review as I had a friend who stayed and said it was still bad.

Since I am a school teacher our mini-honeymoon had to be someplace relatively close b/c we were only going for 3 days. We were taking our real one over xmas in disney. I booked this resort thru a package with AAA. I had never been to the Keys before, and was excited to go.

We had a late arrival from a delayed flight on sat. When I went to check in the lobby was closed. We had to "page" the night manager and waited almost a half hour for someone to arrive. IT was very difficult to find the actual hotel because there are 3 in the same location.

We found the room we were in to be odd. It was a pulldown bed with a junky mattress in a room with kitchenette and couches. Not romantic at ALL!! It seemed more like an efficiency at the Jersey Shore. The place was a bit dirty and our doors wouldn't lock. The next morn I had us changed to a different room. It was the same layout and conditions. The room was very worn looking. The only thing cool was the outside view looking at the Marina

We never stayed at the hotel much or ate there. We ate in Key largo the next day after a snorkeling adventure. That was really cool and the boat was right there in the hotel marina.

On Sunday we drove to Key West and spent the day there..

Overall I would say this place is a dump. I would never go back here for a romantic getaway. Maybe just a place to flop.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LuvinMy369Hero

Travellers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

Pensacola
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Traveling with my husband and mother in law for a wedding. Once you can actually find the check in (there are 3 hotels on the property) it went smoothly. Reservations were correct.
We got a studio because we needed extra space due to a third person. This turned out to be a great idea, Full kitchen, dinette, love seat, 2 murphy beds and a 2 sink bathroom with privacy door to the toilet and shower.
The view was nice. We were on the fourth floor facing the marina. The room had sliding glass doors onto a small balcony.
The breakfast is your basic continental...no fruit though.
The pool is large and the hot tub is small.
Overall it was pretty good.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 3 days. It was pretty good. some minor things that weren't the best, but nothing to keep me from returning. For one they say "complimentary wired and wireless service", they just dont tell you, that you have to go to the lobby and outside seating to get it. And our room was too far away to get the service. Not nearly enough parking for the amount of rooms! The rooms were clean but some things were a little dated, like the whirpool bathtub in our bathroom looked like it came from the 1950's. the sliding wood blind doors to get to public (not private) balcony would not close compleatly. they still left a "crack" of view into our room for if anyone walking past our door could see in. Plus side is, the room was very spacious, like a large effeciency. They were bright and plesant and we had a good view. The resaurants nearby had really good food and John Pennykampe State Park was just down the road. It was quiet and relaxing. i would recommend for the price and location. And if you have never been on a glass bottom boat, I highly recommend the 2 hour cruise on the Key largo Princess. That was probably the best fun I had during our stay!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Upstate New York
Reviewed 3 June 2010

My stay at the Marina Del Mar was the highlight of my trip. We stayed May 16-19, 21010; I love Key Largo and this hotel. I had also spent a night in Key West and did not enjoy myself. Key West is a tourist trap unlike Key Largo. Key Largo is laid back, relaxing and full of water sports. We went snorkeling, fishing and sightseeing and weren’t crammed on the boats like sardines.
We initially reserved a room for 3 nights on a special of $83 a night. The room had a window which overlooked the marina, but the room next door had use of the balcony, plus it was 2x the size of a regular room and for $20 more a night we switched rooms. This new room had a large eat in kitchen, a large living room with 2 Murphy beds and the balcony. You could take your balcony doors and slide them both to the side and open up the whole room to the outdoors. The décor and paint were a little lacking, but the room was well kept and clean. We did not have any problems with noise although we were able to enjoy listening to the bands play from our balcony. The bathroom was huge, 2 double sinks with a long counter and the toilette and shower were located off of that with a separate door. I am always looking for extra towels in the bathroom as I always need one for my hair and one for me and one for the hubby, this place gave us 4!! Our building was next to the building with the office and the wireless internet worked fine even though the receptionist said we could only access it outside the office. There was a TV maybe a 27”, we didn’t have time to watch it.
After our long day, it was nice to hang on the balcony, have our dinner, enjoy a few cocktails and watch the marina. It was so relaxing. The landscaping was very nice also, nicely kept. The continental breakfast was good too, for not being restaurant food. They had coffee, juice, waffles, French toast, bread, cereal, and PB & J. It’s self serve and you can bring the food up to your room or sit outside under the awning which has fans to keep it fairly cool. There’s also a big pool but I didn’t have a chance to use it as I spent most of my time in the ocean.
We went fishing with Sailors Choice for $40 for 4 hrs and Josh was a wonderful and helpful mate. We went snorkeling with the Reef Roamer whom also owns the Quicksilver and the staff was very knowledgeable and I got some great underwater pictures of reefs. I didn’t get to go scuba as I had very bad sunburn on my shoulders and back, next time.
We ate at Coconuts which is right on the marina, we both thought the food was good, the coconut shrimp was awesome. Also ate at Sharky’s, one taco salad and wings was too much for us, we had left overs. The music wasn’t bad at all.
For $109 a nite, I don’t expect a palace, but this place was worth it. I don’t understand all the complaints. The place is older but I feel that it has been kept clean and maintained. Try spending that in Key West. Not happening.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carolinacat67
Rock Island, Illinois
Reviewed 23 May 2010

My wife, son, and I stayed there for a week. I had reserved a room but due to flight and weather issues did not arrive until one day later. I had called the night before and advised them of the travel problems. To make a long story short, even though they re-booked the room I had, they gave me a suite for the same price. Huge room, comfortable beds, close to Ocean Divers dive operation. Check out Sharkeys for dinner. Good food, reasonably price. Coconuts was a bit pricey.

Check out Hobo's on US 1 just two miles from hotel. GREAT food, good prices. A Local's place for good reason.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank MP1100
New Port Richey, FL
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We chose to stay at the Del Mar because we had a small dog and were not told of the the $25.00 pet charge until we left. We did tell them we had a small dog when we booked the room. The place is not very clean, but it was a lot quieter than our previous 3 night stay in Key West. It is pretty well located, however, but i would not go back. Nor would i recommend it.

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple