“Good but not for the price”
Review of Popp's Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Popp's Motel
Ranked #13 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Florida
“Good but not for the price”
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We did not expect anything "fancy", so in that regard, this place lived up to our expectations. It was fairly clean, although housekeeping forgot us the first day we were there, despite the fact that the motel was sparsely populated. The unit was in decent repair and reasonably well supplied, although it appeared not to have been updated since the 1980's. The owner/manager was somewhat helpful, although not friendly in the way you usually find in little places like these.
The best things about this place were the small beach and a covered area to sit out and look at the Gulf; decent location; and Harriet's, a great breakfast/lunch place located a 60 second walk from our door. However, I feel it was overpriced for what you got--$25 to $30 less per night would make it a very good deal.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank soccermomFlorida

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Mix a Margarita, plant your feet in the beautiful Gulf of Mexico waters, and forget your life back in the world for a while. Sound like one of the owners humping this place? Not a chance. We are from Orlando and have been vacationing in Key Largo for 5 years. We have tried million dollar rental homes and dives alike. Here you will find neither. This place is comfortable, clean, and laid back. This is what you would imagine Key Largo to look and feel like 50 years ago. And when you visit, you will see what I mean. The owner is always on site and believes in maintaining the exactness of old Key Largo. The staff are all next door neighbors who come over for a beer. You can keep your hotels, resorts and others who make you feel like the almighty dollar rules the sunshine state vacation agenda. If you are always on a schedule when on vacation, you may not need the relaxation this place demands of the soul. If, however, you go on vacation, and come to the Florida Key's to really recharge and find out what the Key's life imparts, we highly recommend this place.
Wayne & Lizard, Orlando, Florida

• Liked — Everyone is laid back and there is never a fuss !!!!
  • Disliked — Reachable by cell phone.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank CasinoMule
Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Great Old Florida Feel.
I loved the fact that there were only 9 units. Immediately when we walked in I felt I was thrown back to 1950's Old Florida.
This is a very quaint quiet place. Not much to do during the day, but then we went to the Keys to Lay back and do nothing.
It was 4th of July weekend and the fireworks next door was better than anything I have seen before. At night it was quiet and serene. The sky was so clear that we saw shooting stars! The room was very clean and each one has a full kitchen. We cooked out on the grill (each unit has one) and they supplied the charcoal and lighter fulid. Friendly Family owned business. I understand from talking to the owner they are 3rd generation owned. A true original Florida GEM!

• Liked — Your in the Keys - what is there NOT to like
  • Disliked — Wish there was a pool on property.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kackey01
Waitsfield VT
Reviewed 30 June 2008

After researching TripAdvisor reviews for midpriced motels in Key Largo, I chose Popp's, which showed up as the #7 most-liked lodging property in KL. Earlier visitors had noted that it was an older property, clean and comfortable, with competitive rates and friendly owners. I made the reservations myself by phone.

I spent a full week at Popp's in Room #8, a quiet room closest to the water and farthest from US 1. The room had a queen bed, rattan dresser, & easy chair. There was a kitchenette with stove, fridge, microwave, blender, toaster, but no dishwasher. The bathroom was small but adequate, with a showerstall and small sink. The window unit A/C chilled the room, but was noisy.

PROS: Luke Popp, the fourth generation Popp to run the motel, was friendly and helpful when present, which was rarely. In fact, I was the only guest in the motel for the whole week except the last day, which was both nice and a little weird. (Farther north, the Pelican, about the same price range, was full all week. It did have nicer docks, water access, canoes and kayaks, etc., which may have accounted for the difference). The room was spacious and adequate for my need, which was really a place to crash between wreck dives. I made full use of the kitchen, which allowed me to eat what and when I pleased and not get hosed by high restaurant prices. The motel is 5 miles south of Key Largo proper, which made for a very quiet, peaceful environment. The area between motel and bay water was full of lounges, tables, etc., which made perfect drying racks for my gear.

CONS: There was no break on room rates despite the fact that I booked for a full week, and I thought $121 a night was a bit high for aging motel accommodations that far from town.

There was no daily room service, so sand and dirt accmulated, as did dirty dishes. The towel supply was adequate for a week, but the sheets could've used changing once or twice.

The "sandy beach" is actually crushed coral, and to get into the bay water you have to drop over a seawall or walk down an old boat ramp.
Would I stay here again? Maybe. More likely, though, if I came down with a group again, I'd look into renting a multi- bedroom condo for a week.

• Liked — omfortable room with kitchen
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
6 Thank Sarge32
michigan
Reviewed 20 May 2008

Great place to stay. Quiet and Peaceful. A real laid back atmosphere. The staff was great and the rooms are nice. It's located right on the ocean with reasonable rates.

• Liked — Cleanliness, view, staff, location
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank kimba731
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed 4 April 2008

My husband and I just got back from a week-long trip to Key Largo and stayed at Popp's. The property was perfect! It was a short drive from the dive operation I was using and the boat ramp was perfect for my husband's catamaran. All in all, it was a really convenient hotel. The room was great - neat, roomy, clean. The beach area was neat, peaceful, and inviting. There were plenty of chairs and hammocks to use. The water behind the hotel is a great place for wading, swimming, snorkeling, etc. We really enjoyed our stay.

Another plus: A really great breakfast restaurant, Harriette's, is a very short stroll from the hotel. The biscuits are huge and so tasty!

• Liked — The convenience and price
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank love2dive65
New England
Reviewed 14 March 2008

Popp's is old fashioned and charming, with a beach that comes as close to private as you can get on Key Largo for this price! This isn't a luxury hotel, but it is great for families; all the rooms have kitchens, and the Popps and their assistant manager try hard to help with anything that's needed. Don't miss the sunsets from mid-March through late September!

• Liked — the feeling that we were in the 1950s
  • Disliked — no high-speed internet access, no pets
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family