“OK place to stay”

Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have stayed here many times, although haven't been there in 1-1/2 years. The place really needs a complete renovation. The rooms are good enough, especially given that we dive like lunatics (4 dives each day) so a clean room and bed to lay my head is all I am really looking for at the end of a long day of diving. I have stayed in the apartments which are also OK. The kitchen appliances need to be replaced and restocked with at least 4-6 place settings (dishes, cups, flatware, etc), sharp knives for cooking, pots & pans, etc. I don't think I have been there yet in the last 4 years when the boat hasn't broken down at some point. Sometimes the boat is beyond crowded, which makes setting up and breaking down dive gear a bit of a challenge. Unlike most of the other dive operators in the Keys, the dive staff DOES NOT get in the water with you. There is no guide so you are left on your own once you hit the water. A little unnerving. We are going back in mid-December with a group on a dive trip. Probably our last time. The office staff was friendly, the dive boat staff was great although there is a lot of turn-around. I looked at the staff pictures and do not see anyone that was there the last time we were.

1  Thank JamesCindyG

Reviewed 16 August 2013

After my bad experience and having to leave Gilberts Resort, we found this cute little Resort a couple miles ahead. Stayed for 2 nights, the rooms where great! Super clean, and great room service. Left the house keeping lady a 10 $ tip for the great work she did! The pool was also very clean, not much of a beach to be honest but that didnt matter. They had a wonderful sun deck with chairs and a gorgeous view. Didnt try out the diving but definitely will take it into consideration the next time I come back. Will return forsure.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were in Key Largo for Reef Fest, and Amoray Resort was one of the sponsors. We did two dives and would have done more if the weather cooperated. Service was excellent, particularly the front desk staff. The dive staff was personable and efficient and the dives were fine. The boat was a cattle boat, but the large number of divers wasn't an issue in the water. I'd certainly dive with them again,but would probably charter their small boat.

The front office was very fair about our charges. I was truly impressed because many dive resorts try to wring every dollar they can out of you even it you are unable to use something reserved ahead of time.

We had room12H which was great - small kitchenette in alcove and a large screened porch shared with 11H. We had a lovely light breakfast on our porch every morning - just picked up food at the nearby supermarket. Room 11H was by the pool, so probably got some pool noise. The pool was spotless. There were a few tiny ants but they were not a problem at all. The resort is well maintained, though it is older and quaint in a local way. if you expect a Marriott there is one down the street! . We will definitely stay there again if we are back on Key Largo.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Amy's has been a base for us on several trips, and while the facility is older, and a bit worn in a unique to the Keys fashion - we like both the focus on diving, and the way they interact and support the diving and local community. Amy's was the way we discovered REEF.org, and the Coral Restoration Foundation.

But a recent experience highlighted another aspect of their service. Our AC was not working well upon arrival. Now in most older Keys properties, you are simply out of luck - there will be some lip service to your problem and nothing is likely to actually change. But one visit to the front office resulted in a maintenance guy at the room 5 minutes later. We are not aware of all he did - but the AC worked great a few hours later.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Quaint, non-commercial resort with friendly staff who mapped out the best places to eat and drink in the area. Great weekend getaway. The only negative were the small ants in the bathroom.

1  Thank Kristin S