“Quaint cottage with pretty sunsets”
Review of Bay Harbor Lodge

Bay Harbor Lodge
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Quaint cottage with pretty sunsets”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I spent a couple nights in mid-December. I selected the "honeymoon" cottage which has a king bed and is right next to the office. When we arrived they were doing work on our room and we were upgraded to a cottage a little closer to the water for one night. They apologized and gave us a complimentary bottle of wine. My husband was a little annoyed, but I'm pretty laid back. It was a little frustrating to have to move out and into the honeymoon cottage after the first night, but they were nice enough to move our things for us. We really enjoyed sitting outside in the evenings and watching the sunsets, even saw a few fish and a pelican. You can sign out paddles and use their kayaks to paddle out around the lagoon, it was pretty peaceful.

Overall I was pretty pleased, it was disappointing that they had not finished work on our cottage by the time we arrived, but the staff was all very nice and tried to make amends.

Room Tip: Room 5 (honeymoon suite) for a big bed and a good layout. Room 4 had a better view, but felt much sm...
Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I spoke to Alice at this hotel on the 27th March from the UK and reserved a room for the 28th (our first night in the US) over the phone (less than 24hrs before arriving). In the course of the conversation she stated that should we need to cancel, then we had up until 3pm the next day to do so. I remember distinctly because I explained that it wouldn't be relevant as we would be in the air at 3pm and relayed the conversation to my wife. Should they record calls then this could be verified. Having booked over the phone I had nothing else to go on with regards to the 'cancellation policy' other than the explanation given over the phone.

Neither did I receive a booking confirmation (unlike an adjacent resort with whom I booked another two nights) for the Saturday night as Bay Harbour had no availability but I was informed that they did have a room for the Sunday night which I did NOT book. As it turned out, the adjacent resort had a 2 night minimum and we would only ever have stayed in Key Largo for a maximum of 3 nights).

As it turned out, when we arrived at the airport the following morning we were told that our flight was severely delayed into the UK and that this would mean that we would miss our connection to FLL, so we would not be arriving in Florida until Saturday (we stayed the night in NY). I IMMEDIATELY wrote to Alice explaining this and requesting that the booking be cancelled.

Not only did they charge for the Friday night anyway (not so much as a partial refund offer or 'if we can sell the room to someone else....' but, to add insult to injury, they charged a second night too. This might be how some behave in Florida but charging for rooms neither occupied nor booked certainly does not comply with my interpretation of customer service! I demanded a full refund of BOTH charges to my card and received a flat out refusal in response.

With the utmost bad grace, they refunded one of the nights booked (the adjacent hotel, in stark contrast, to whom I wrote at the same time, had no issue whatsoever with changing their booking as we had to stay in New York for nearly 24hrs).

Having been in the hospitality industry on and off for over 10 years myself I was utterly appalled not just by their behavior but also by the utterly unrepentant attitude not only from the staff but from the owner too (to whom I wrote personally expecting something conciliatory at the very least). I cannot comment on the resort, as we never arrived but their handling of my booking smacks of desperation and, at the very least, other travelers should book with great caution.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank GlobeTrottingBrit_10
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It was our first time in the Keys and we were completely charmed by our experience at Bay Harbor Lodge. When we booked they were already pretty full, and they thoughtfully helped us get set up with #11 and #12 for our first night and #6 for an additional 3 nights. That worked out perfectly. The grounds are gorgeous -- the waterfront with palm trees, plenty of lounge chairs, kayaks for free use; the nice saltwater pool; the meandering paths through lush vegetation including pineapple plants and other tropicals. Loved having fresh scones and coffee each morning on the beach. Fantastic sunsets each evening. The rooms were exactly as shown on the website. One oddity about #6 is that the bathroom is accessible only by going into the bedroom, which is inconvenient for any more than a couple staying there. But it's manageable. The cottage has a beautiful view of the grounds and waterfront, the outdoor table provides for lovely dining, and the beds (including the pullout sofa) are comfortable. Everything here is clean and well cared for. It's easy to see that every staff member cares about their guests, their property, the service they provide, and the Keys. While in the Keys, be sure to go on a dive or snorkel trip to the coral reef.

Room Tip: There are pictures of each room online and also the staff will be very helpful in selecting the room...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MNoutdoors
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

When we booked this room, we told the owner we were looking for a room for one night on our way to Key West. She said after being here, we would not want to leave. She was so right!!
Landscaping was lush and so well manicured. Dock was heavenly. Even though we did not have time to try them, we saw lots of adult water toys to enjoy.
Staff was very friendly. Home made scones were delicious.
Room was spotless. Bed comfortable.
You can tell the owner is invested in her property and loves doing what she does. It is evident throughout the entire establishment.
Already planning on returning!!!
Thank you, Peggy, and staff!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CosmoLady
Appleton, United States
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I usually get "cabin fever" after a couple nights at a hotel, but we stayed 4 nights and I wish we could have stayed longer. I liked that I didn't feel confined to a room when we were at the hotel - there are chairs & loungers by the water (great for watching the beautiful sunsets) plus complimentary kayaks for the guests' use. They also have grills and tables by most of the rooms so we bought steaks and grilled out a couple of times (we had a room with a kitchenette).
The owner puts out coffee and fresh baked scones every morning & staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We are definitely going back for a longer stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea S
Bath, England
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Loved this place. Stayed in room 5 and it was great, clean, and great views from the terrace. All the staff were really helpful and friendly. Ballyhoos across the road was great but don't go to island restaurant it was very bland.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 27 March 2014

this was the best stay we've had in the US - we've even extended our stay, going out to another hotel for one night just to come back. we had two rooms, the small one (12) and then a bigger one with oceanview, which was wonderful (room 26). the scones in the morning are delicious, rooms very nice and clean and you can see manatees and dolphins by going out with the kayaks (included). great diving places and a good restaurant are also close. the people here - not only the nice guests - also the people working here are great. we will definately come here again! thanks to the team, we miss you!

• Stayed March 2014