“Keep looking...”

Ranked #7 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Bath, Maine
“Keep looking...”
Reviewed 22 November 2007

Really horrible. Misrepresented. cramped, dirty, vague hint of hot water. Could have some charm, but poorly run. For 133.00/ per night for a tiny room, you'd think that they would at least make the bed....and make sure that the AC worked. And please don't get me started on the "Continental Breakfast" or "complimentary use of canoes and kayaks"

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — waking up at 3 am to the sound of the AC unit
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mainer21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
las vegas
Reviewed 16 June 2007

I stayed at Sunset Cove Beach Resort and it was the best the employees were very friendly and and helpful the rooms are very comfy and clean and its a its a great place to come stay with the whole family

• Liked — very clean and relaxing place to go to
  • Disliked — nothing i loved everything about it
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank kentqueen1
west virginia
Reviewed 28 March 2007

We booked here after seeing the cost of lodging in Key Largo - I'm not saying you have to pay a lot for a good night's rest - but after staying here - I don't think it hurts.

1. My spouse and I live with Inflammatory Bowel disease, which means having a working toilet is IMPORTANT. Our toilet would not flush - this was a constant problem.

2. Within 15 minutes of getting there, we found a dead squirell - less than 10 feet from our door. Out in the open! This could have been a fluke, but it left a bad impression.

3. A lizard - in our bed! It was on a magazine on our nightstand - then ended up on our bed. I realize there are lizards in the sunshine state - and this happens. But I don't want them in or near my bed.

4. Finally, my feet broke out into a rash the next morning when I woke up. Bed bugs????

Overall, it was alright but there were some problems. When we called about the toilet a maintenance person was there promptly. We also enjoyed a nice sunset view by the bay. However, the bad points out weighed the good. :(

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank ibdinwv
Maine
Reviewed 7 March 2007

My family stayed at Sunset Cove in February. Unit 10 is one of the largest, with the most space and the best view. We enjoyed gazing out over the bay from our balcony. The room was spacious, very clean, and had all the amenities we needed. The grounds were a little run down, but my 2 year old daughter fell in love with the animal statues! All in all, we had a great stay. If you are looking for glamour, go elsewhere. But if you need a place to kick back and relax in Key Largo, this is the place.

• Liked — large room
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank darasmail
Naples Florida
Reviewed 28 January 2007

We arrived in Key Largo with no reservations. This was when we found Sunset cove. They're prices were reasonable compared to all the others. The receptionist in the front office was very helpful she gave us a good rates and showed us all types of rooms my fiance and I stayed in the sand dollar room this was a cozy room but for two people what more do we need. 1 queen bed. We paid 110.00. We had the free use of the kayacs, and canoes and they even had coffee in the mornings. We were only supposed to stay for one night and we ended up staying 3 nights! Its places like Sunset Cove that make a trip more enjoyable. We will definently be back next year some time.

3 Thank keyzrebel
Missouri
Reviewed 25 January 2007

We waited too long to book a stay anywhere, so we stayed at the Sunset Cove Beach Resort. The name of the place was kind of misleading. It wasn't a "beach resort". It was on the ocean, but it was bayside, so there weren't any waves crashing in like I expected. There's mostly gravel at the "beach" with hardly any sand. I liked that guests had their own little cottages to stay in, like a mini house. Our room was $367 for a 3 night stay. The rooms could of been cleaner, but they were ok. The bathroom was very small and to get in the shower you had to shut the door because the shower was behind the door. My boyfriend and I are young, so it was an ok place for people on a budget, but it could of been better. All of the guests were nice and so were all of the workers, except one lady that worked in the front office. She was kinda rude but other than that everyone was ok.

2 Thank BenniesBabe
Arkansas
Reviewed 2 January 2007

We stayed at Sunset Cove for New Years' Eve. Our unit, #10, overlooked the bay; the view was very nice, especially for a last-minute reservation on NYE that was under $200. Our unit was very spacious, with a full kitchen and good-sized living room. It wasn't as clean as I would have liked (a few hairs in the bathroom, really old/dusty comforter), but my husband didn't seem to mind.

As other reviewers have noted, if you're looking for a Mariott experience, this isn't it. It's an old, quaint, keys-style place. One of the murals in our room was dated 1984, to give some idea of age. Some things appeared to be updated -- bathroom, living room furniture; other things were well-worn -- comforter, mattress. This would be a nice safe spot to bring your children, especially if you're in one of the units closer to the water. There are canoes you can use, a small dock and some neat hammocks. There's also a neat looking restaurant/bar about a quarter of a mile down the beach (not associated with Sunset Cove).

We wouldn't mind going back to Sunset Cove, but I'll bring my 409 with me next time :)