“Right on the water...”

Sunset Cove Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Where do I begin...we travelled to Key Largo after four days in Key West. We stayed at a nice Inn in Key West, so I guess that when we got to the Sunset Cove Resort it was the completely opposite experience! The resort is definitely unique. It's colorful - as are many buildings in the keys. There are dinosaurs, bears, zebras, gnomes, you name it all over the property (fake of course). They also have some (live) birds. Things around the property were falling apart or outdated though. There were a only a couple of lights lit up on the pier at night (most missing, burned out or broken). Lots of the couches/chair covers underneath the tiki huts were wet, dirty or old. One of the kayaks (out of 2) had a massive LEAK and one of the canoes (out of 2) had a broken seat. The staff was friendly. We originally booked one of their campers to stay in, but when we check it out it was OLD OLD OLD. The stove didn't work, the couch fabric was OLD, floors old, table old, everything was drab and dark. So we switched to a different camper, a newer one from probably the mid 90s (still old). It was fairly clean, it took me a bit to take my sandals off though. The price we paid ($135 a night) was NOT WORTH IT to stay in a camper from the 90's. We should have stayed in one of the cabins - those looked much nicer. I would recommend to NOT STAY IN A CAMPER at this place. The view of the water and sunsets were GREAT! I got some awesome photos of sunsets. You could sit at the end of the pier at night and see lots of stars. We did not swim off their beach, although we did see people swimming. The water is clear, lots of sea grass to explore if you have snorkel equip. NO POOL at the resort. Very QUIET and relaxing place. Low key. I had mixed feelings about this place - but I think it's because we came straight from Key West where we stayed at a nicer hotel. My top three things to do while staying at Sunset Cove --- 1) Drive 30 miles south on Highway 1 to Anne's Beach. Great swimming and spots to picnic. 2) Take a boat out to John Pennekamp - the reef and fish are amazing. 3) Go to a bar called Sharkey's (it's on the canal, across from the Holiday Inn). They have live music at night and awesome fish tacos.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ebremser

Reviewed 30 June 2008

My wife and I stayed at Sunset Cove 15 years ago and had a very good time. Back then you could feed the manatees which swam under the pier and even get in the water and swim with and touch them. When planning our return to the Keys this year we asked Sunset Cove about the manatees and were told they still come by so we made our reservation based on that; needless to say, we didn't see a single manatee the four days we were there.

We reserved unit #9 for four nights, the bottom room of a 2-story unit. Because there were four of us, we needed the queen and single in the bedroom for the three girls, and I would take the pullout in the living room - no other units with a full kitchen could accommodate the four of us.

Rough Start - One month prior, we changed our plans and asked to arrive one day earlier and was told they would "hold it for us so no one else would reserve that extra day" which I took to mean we had it. Fast forward to our arrival day... am told after driving 12 hours from South Carolina our room was not available, that we had not reserved it, that someone had called that day and were given our room? I had called two weeks prior and mentioned we never received any type of confirmation phone call or e-mail and were told that was because the reservations were kept in her head and if there were any questions to simply call her (Sarah). The explanation we were given was there was a "hold" on the room and since we never called back to confirm it, they gave the room away. We were offered another room, but with the stipulation that we had to be out by 10:00 the next morning so the cleaning crew could prepare it for its next guest. I mentioned we planned taking a day trip to Key West earlky the next morning and wouldn't be back until later in the day but that didn't seem to phase them. Thank goodness Quad Kelly was on the job (Quad referring to not a triple caffeine, but a quad...) because she had the insight to go ahead and give us our unit #9 and she said she would apologize to the incoming party of two about double-booking "their" room, and she would put them in another room that had only a queen bed. Quad Kelly, thank you for your quick thinking.

Good Middle - you could get fresh towels and wash cloths anytime you returned your dirty ones, the rooms had all been updated since we were last there and overall were very comfortable. Keep in mind this is The Keys, and Sunset Cove is family owned and run by people like you and me - they are simple folk trying to earn a living. Overall, very relaxing, although the hanging/swinging chairs were no longer under the cabanas. Our two 14-year olds lived in the hammocks across from the office and the only restaurant we visited was Mrs. Macs (50 yards to the right as you exit Sunset Cove). They have hands down, the best key lime pie, and their meat loaf special is to die for - this is the real deal if you are looking for a Key West "diner."

Lousy Finish - One recommendation for the family owned and operated proprietors: You should occasionally stay at your own hotel to experience what your guests are doing. One family of about 10 took over the beach front cabanas two mornings in a row - sequestering all but two of your chairs and putting them under the cabana and laying their towels, floats and coolers on them all day then would wander off for hours at a time and nobody else could use the chairs or cabana (a comment to the office had no affect). Secondly, if you rent the lower #9 unit be advised that you will hear EVERYTHING going on in unit #10 above you - all three women and four children running around, loudly scraping chairs and tables across the floor, kids jumping off beds, and you banging on your ceiling with a broomstick at 12:30 AM having no affect; then hearing the four men from the same unit coming home from an all day fishing at 2:00AM emptying their coolers, leaning their fishing poles against your car (and by the looks of them you wouldn't dare say anything to them for fear of your life and no one in the front office after 11:00 PM), drinking beer and carousing in front of your unit, above your unit and out on the fishing pier until you collapse due to exhaustion at 4:30 in the morning. Thank goodness we checked out that next morning, and I didn't care that our doors happened to slam loudly several times while we packed up our vehicle.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank EastCoastTripper
Reviewed 24 June 2008

We arrived at Key Largo with no place to stay, and after checking some not so good or expensive places we found Sunset Cove. A room right on the beach, quiet, good restaurants near by, and a very friendly and full of info check-in person: Quad Kelly. All in all quite simple but clean and exactly what we needed for our 2-days diving trip.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ruiloureiro
Reviewed 6 May 2008

My husband and I used to live in South Florida and the only thing we liked about living there was our proximity to the Keys. We stayed at the Sunset Cove 3-4 times and enjoyed each and every time. It is definitely not a luxury resort, in fact, I'd probably put it one step above camping, but the views of the sunset and the relaxed feeling we both had when we stayed there are unmatched. The plaster dinosaurs and animals that decorate the property are hilarious and led my husband and I to call Sunset Cove, "the dinosaur place." If you are high maintenance and a negative person, definitely stay at the Marriott a few miles down the road. If, however, you have a sense of humor and just want to relax by the water with some tunes and drinks, this may be the place for you. I would definitely recommend staying in the "beach cottage." We stayed there our last visit and it was head and shoulders above the other rooms. It had a full kitchen, renovated bathroom, queen size bed and a futon. The restaurant next door, The Bayside Grill, is also very good. Even though we have since moved to Minnesota, we will definitely be back there one day.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ncgirlinmn
Reviewed 22 November 2007

Really horrible. Misrepresented. cramped, dirty, vague hint of hot water. Could have some charm, but poorly run. For 133.00/ per night for a tiny room, you'd think that they would at least make the bed....and make sure that the AC worked. And please don't get me started on the "Continental Breakfast" or "complimentary use of canoes and kayaks"

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank mainer21
Reviewed 16 June 2007

I stayed at Sunset Cove Beach Resort and it was the best the employees were very friendly and and helpful the rooms are very comfy and clean and its a its a great place to come stay with the whole family

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kentqueen1
Reviewed 28 March 2007

We booked here after seeing the cost of lodging in Key Largo - I'm not saying you have to pay a lot for a good night's rest - but after staying here - I don't think it hurts.

1. My spouse and I live with Inflammatory Bowel disease, which means having a working toilet is IMPORTANT. Our toilet would not flush - this was a constant problem.

2. Within 15 minutes of getting there, we found a dead squirell - less than 10 feet from our door. Out in the open! This could have been a fluke, but it left a bad impression.

3. A lizard - in our bed! It was on a magazine on our nightstand - then ended up on our bed. I realize there are lizards in the sunshine state - and this happens. But I don't want them in or near my bed.

4. Finally, my feet broke out into a rash the next morning when I woke up. Bed bugs????

Overall, it was alright but there were some problems. When we called about the toilet a maintenance person was there promptly. We also enjoyed a nice sunset view by the bay. However, the bad points out weighed the good. :(

Stayed: March 2007