“Just OK”

Sunset Cove Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2006

We stayed at the Sunset Cove during Christmas week. Our room was very outdated and obviously needed some major upgrades. My boyfriend and I didn't spend that much time in the room (and didn't plan to) so it was a perfect place to crash.

The best part of our stay was that we were within walking distance of Snooks Bayside Restaurant (our favorite!) We also enjoyed the private beach area and had fun using the canoes that the resort provided.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank Key_West_Blue

Sebring Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2005

We stayed at Sunset Cove Beach Resort (Sunset Cove Motel) this month and it was the laid back "Keys" vacation that I needed. As soon as you enter the property your stress level goes away.... Everyone on staff was friendly and accomodating. (We had plenty of towels...) It is landscaped with tropical plants, birds, a tiki hut area with a waterfall, plenty of private areas to lay back and read a book. There are giant animal sculptures around the property (from some ecclectic artist),;bears zebras, and even a giant dinosoar... The beach is great (there is very little "beach" in the keys.) There are shaded hanging basket swings as well as padded lounge chairs for sunning. They have a paddle boat, canoes, and kayaks, some fishing poles and tackle for fishing on the pier, and some snorkle gear, that are included with your stay, sweet! They have a little breakfast station set up at the office in the am for coffee, juice and some fruit...The room had a microwave, fridge and stuff for cooking (have BBQ pits too) but there are many great restaurants within walking distance or a quick ride away. We cooked out one night after sunset and went to the restaurant next door the next night. Snorkling around the piers I saw lots of snapper, blue crab, and even a big ray...One evening we went for a swim at around 5pm and a pair of dolphin swam by us..an unexpected swim with the dolphins!!! At sunset time a guy named Dave puts on a" feed the birds show", feeding pelicans and egrets on the pier next door...This resort is just the place if you want to chill out with nature... We would highly reccommend this motel....Budget and Beauty!

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2005

I was planning to stay there 2nd week of May '05 & had first e-mailed them end of March '05 waited 2 days got no response, I then tried to call no answer so I left a message no one ever called me back. When I tried to call for the second time 2 days later no one ever picked up the line. (I did make sure what time of day it was since there is time difference where I live.) I don't know what was going on there. but don't send any requests for information through their website or hope you get live person to pick up the phone when you call, because you won't get anyone to call or e-mail you back.

Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stuart FL.
Reviewed 21 April 2005

My husband and I return once to twice a year to stay at this hotel. It has a
boat dock for our little boat, romantic bird cage chairs built for two right on
beach, a secluded area for each visitor near their lodgings or a big pavillion
to host large groups when you want to be social. We stay in the front trailer
that is not a condo but has all the charm and accommodations one needs to
just go & relax & do a little fishing. The surrounding area gives you a wide variety of entertainment and dining. We like to go across the street to the
moonlight glass bottom boat tour and frequent the local bars. And guess what! There's a local taxi service called mama's taxi that will take you to all these places for under $5.00- no DUI worries!!!!! Pets are welcome which is an added plus for us. I've read the bad reviews on this place and
my opinion is...if you are looking for someone and leave mints on your pillows every day and fluff your high falooting ego, this is not the place for you,but, if your your looking for a laidback little get away place to stay while you entertain yourself, then come on down! We love this place!

• Stayed: April 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Corona, CA
Reviewed 5 April 2005

Certainly, One of the most unpleasant stays I have ever had in a motel. The one good thing was not a lot of noise at night, so sleep was possible. The mosquitoes were so bad, that we had to either stay in the water submerged or in our room-which was not a pleasant imposed confinement. the problem was that the mosquitoes-or it only took one, got into the room and did a very good vampire routine. 40-50 bites in one area of exposed arm-out of the bedding was all it took for them to feast. The room was dirty and smelled horribly of smoke and? The bathroom/shower/sink area was very strangely arranged so that it was difficult maneuvering around in it-very effortful-esp. to get up in the middle of the night. the breakfast was more of a joke than anything tasty-I did like the caged birds, wild squirrels and hoped for a manatee sighting at the docks-no luck but the hope itself created some pleasant moments.

• Stayed: September 2004
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed 2 February 2005

Although sunset cove had some good points I wouldn't stay there again. Our room #7 on the water was not well equiped. Kitchen had no pot holders, extremely dull knives. TV remote didn't work (although we did get it working when the guy at the desk gave us a sheet to reprogram it). Although the room sleeps four, they only give you two sets of towels and you have to take those to the office to exchange for clean one. Once when my husband went to the office for a towel exchange they were out of clean towels. One of the few drawers for clothes storage was broken. The futon and the bed were both old and uncomfortable. They seem to only clean rooms at you request and when they cleaned our room they left us no washcloths and no kitchen towel, dishcloth...walk back to the office again. There's no door mat to wipe you feet on, so it's difficult to not track sand onto the tile, bed ect. BUT the little beach is nice and very well kept, we did see a manetee from the neighboring hotel's dock and the view is very nice. There is plenty of shade or sun (worn) seating and the hanging basket chairs are fun and people enjoy them. The beach is shallow so it's good for toddler to splash and play in. Although with tile floors, rare towels and a difficult shower (partially blocked by sink), I wouldn't call the rooms very toddler friendly. Because of the location this could be a lovely place, but the lack of propeitor's care ruined it for me.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 November 2004

I wouldn't go back. The room was clean, but no towels you have to go get towels. You can get housekeeping if you stay more than 2 nights, but you must request it. There were ashtrays everywhere, so people smoked everywhere, and that wasn't for me. It had some really cool tiki huts with hanging chairs and a cool sitting area too. The huts were cool. The lady working was terribly rude though, complaining about customers and just not pleasant. Breakfast was not good either, could be worse though, just not for me.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member