“Laid Back!”

Sunset Cove Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Miami Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2006

Hello let em start off with my fiance and I went to the keys and stayed at the Sunset Cove Beach Resort in April. It was cute when we pulled in. The office was nice and the staff was very helpful in giving us information. The clerk Sara was nice and she showed me to the room. The next morning she was there again doing the breakfast I asked her if she lived there as she was always there. Sunset Cove has a nice staff this is what made our stay cool! Even the house keepers were so nice to us! The night person was very funny So I hope to see them all again in July when I return for the holiday! Sara and Chris keep up the good job trust me people enjoy the friendly staff!

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 24 April 2006

We reserved Den 2 for three nights. The three den rooms near the street appear to be converted from a building that was never intended to become motel rooms. My husband thought it might have been a restaurant; I think it might have been a gas station.

Upon seeing our room, I knew there was no way I was going to stay even one night. The condition of the room was deplorable and the fact that I could unlock and open the door from our side and walk right into the next room (which was occupied) was disturbing. We haggled for a partial refund and stayed in another nearby motel. There is no way I would recommend the "den" rooms.

I should add that we are both pretty adventurous travellers and that this room was not just unclean or lacking amenities. It was downright sketchy. It was the kind of place that anybody with any street smarts would know was bad news right away and would know to get away from.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
WEST PALM BEACH
Reviewed 23 March 2006

hello and let me start off with my vacation stay was awesome. sara the front desk clerk she was very polite and was always there for all my needs. shout out to sara! the beach is nice and quiet. I made reservations for next year with sara already as the rooms are always booked!

• Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 March 2006

Returned a few weeks ago from a trip to Sunset Cove. We found it to be a very cozy family run resort with a lovely private beach - beachside hanging papsan chairs were the perfect spot for a nightly cocktail hour!
The rooms are clean, basic and some are in need of updating. We were only in our room to sleep and grab a quick lunch. We had a kitchen with stove, fridge and microwave so eating out didn't always have to be the only option.
There are several lovely places to sit and talk on the grounds. One sitting area has a waterfall and lots of comfy chairs to sit in. There is a basic breakfast offered every morning - coffee, juice and fruit. There is a drugstore and several restaurants within walking distance.
If you are looking for affordability in a laid-back, relaxing atmosphere....it is here! We already booked our week for next spring!

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 February 2006

We stayed at the Sunset Cove Feb 5th & 6th driving directly from MIA on the 5th. We got in pretty late 10:30 PM but they were still there to welcome us in. We dropped our stuff in our room and went looking for food. The first place suggested was closed and thinking we were headed back for fast food we came across a great Italian restaurant. While they closed at 11:00 and it was now 10:45 they let us order a full dinner without any problem. The next night we found the Bayside Grill (same owners) and it was also really good.

The setting for the Sunset Cove was great.. lots of beach and places to hang out, funny animal sculptures and colored lights all over the place. With a larger room or kitchenette this would be a great place if traveling with kids.

Our room (Bayview) was very small in size and pretty spartan. Bed wasn’t new, TV was in an odd place and the bathroom was really small. This is not the place for someone used to staying at a Best Western or other hotel chains. While we’re pretty flexible I’m glad we weren’t there for more then 2 nights. But, if you’re a budget traveler and spending your days diving or snorkeling this would be a great place.

The night before we got there other guest told us a couple of Manatees came right up to the dock and a Great Heron seem to adopt my wife as a friend. This is the kind of place you want to go in a remodel just a bit and make a GREAT place.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank ambuman
Reviewed 11 January 2006

We stayed at the Sunset Cove during Christmas week. Our room was very outdated and obviously needed some major upgrades. My boyfriend and I didn't spend that much time in the room (and didn't plan to) so it was a perfect place to crash.

The best part of our stay was that we were within walking distance of Snooks Bayside Restaurant (our favorite!) We also enjoyed the private beach area and had fun using the canoes that the resort provided.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank Key_West_Blue
Sebring Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2005

We stayed at Sunset Cove Beach Resort (Sunset Cove Motel) this month and it was the laid back "Keys" vacation that I needed. As soon as you enter the property your stress level goes away.... Everyone on staff was friendly and accomodating. (We had plenty of towels...) It is landscaped with tropical plants, birds, a tiki hut area with a waterfall, plenty of private areas to lay back and read a book. There are giant animal sculptures around the property (from some ecclectic artist),;bears zebras, and even a giant dinosoar... The beach is great (there is very little "beach" in the keys.) There are shaded hanging basket swings as well as padded lounge chairs for sunning. They have a paddle boat, canoes, and kayaks, some fishing poles and tackle for fishing on the pier, and some snorkle gear, that are included with your stay, sweet! They have a little breakfast station set up at the office in the am for coffee, juice and some fruit...The room had a microwave, fridge and stuff for cooking (have BBQ pits too) but there are many great restaurants within walking distance or a quick ride away. We cooked out one night after sunset and went to the restaurant next door the next night. Snorkling around the piers I saw lots of snapper, blue crab, and even a big ray...One evening we went for a swim at around 5pm and a pair of dolphin swam by us..an unexpected swim with the dolphins!!! At sunset time a guy named Dave puts on a" feed the birds show", feeding pelicans and egrets on the pier next door...This resort is just the place if you want to chill out with nature... We would highly reccommend this motel....Budget and Beauty!

• Stayed: June 2005