“A decent spot” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Arkansas
“A decent spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2007

We stayed at Sunset Cove for New Years' Eve. Our unit, #10, overlooked the bay; the view was very nice, especially for a last-minute reservation on NYE that was under $200. Our unit was very spacious, with a full kitchen and good-sized living room. It wasn't as clean as I would have liked (a few hairs in the bathroom, really old/dusty comforter), but my husband didn't seem to mind.

As other reviewers have noted, if you're looking for a Mariott experience, this isn't it. It's an old, quaint, keys-style place. One of the murals in our room was dated 1984, to give some idea of age. Some things appeared to be updated -- bathroom, living room furniture; other things were well-worn -- comforter, mattress. This would be a nice safe spot to bring your children, especially if you're in one of the units closer to the water. There are canoes you can use, a small dock and some neat hammocks. There's also a neat looking restaurant/bar about a quarter of a mile down the beach (not associated with Sunset Cove).

We wouldn't mind going back to Sunset Cove, but I'll bring my 409 with me next time :)

Stayed December 2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Does it really matter?
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2006

I have stayed at this property several times in the past. It is kind of off-beat and if you're looking for a Holliday Inn/Marriott type experience, this isn't the place for you. It's kind of quaint and quirky, a little run down but there is a great dock for sitting or fishing and a very very small beach. They have canoes and kayaks available for guest use but no bicycles or paddle boats any more since the last hurricane. There really are lots of large concrete animals scattered around the property as well as grills for the guests' use. The main complaints I have about this property are that there isn't any housekeeping service unless you ask (and sometimes not even then, though the friendly front desk staff will give you fresh towel and extra toilet paper on request) and the bathrooms in many of the rooms are truly inadequate. The toilets clog if you look at them funny and the shower stalls are not large enough for an average sized adult to bend over to wash his/her feet. The ones without a window also tend to smell a little of sewage (possibly from the everpresent plungers by the toilet). On the whole, it's a nice place to relax. Quiet hours start at 10pm and it's pretty quiet after that. If you're on vacation to order room service and have a maid leave a mint on your pillow every night, there are lots of other places for you. If you want a nice quiet place with friendly people and a great view of the bay where you can relax or contemplate your life, you just might like it here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathrooms/lack of table space in room
  • Stayed November 2006
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank sickofnetaccounts
Houston, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2006

The best things I can say about the property are that our unit was clean, and the front desk staff was nice. It's the kind of place I'd expect to pay $65/night for at a fishing camp, not over $100 a night. Our room backed up to a travel trailer park. In order to get some of our windows to close, I had to stand outside and push while my husband worked the window mechanisms with a knife because the handle was broken. Faucets and fixtures appear to be on their last legs. It was not a place we had any desire to linger in between outings or activities. In fact, we decided to cut our stay short a day and sacrifice the cost of the hotel because iffy weather kept us confined to the room more than we could take.

Obviously some people really like the place and book repeat visits, however, it did not live up to our expectations based on the other reviews found here. We will look for accomodations elsewhere should we find ourselves in Key Largo again.

• Stayed June 2006
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2006

Hello let em start off with my fiance and I went to the keys and stayed at the Sunset Cove Beach Resort in April. It was cute when we pulled in. The office was nice and the staff was very helpful in giving us information. The clerk Sara was nice and she showed me to the room. The next morning she was there again doing the breakfast I asked her if she lived there as she was always there. Sunset Cove has a nice staff this is what made our stay cool! Even the house keepers were so nice to us! The night person was very funny So I hope to see them all again in July when I return for the holiday! Sara and Chris keep up the good job trust me people enjoy the friendly staff!

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2006

We reserved Den 2 for three nights. The three den rooms near the street appear to be converted from a building that was never intended to become motel rooms. My husband thought it might have been a restaurant; I think it might have been a gas station.

Upon seeing our room, I knew there was no way I was going to stay even one night. The condition of the room was deplorable and the fact that I could unlock and open the door from our side and walk right into the next room (which was occupied) was disturbing. We haggled for a partial refund and stayed in another nearby motel. There is no way I would recommend the "den" rooms.

I should add that we are both pretty adventurous travellers and that this room was not just unclean or lacking amenities. It was downright sketchy. It was the kind of place that anybody with any street smarts would know was bad news right away and would know to get away from.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2006

hello and let me start off with my vacation stay was awesome. sara the front desk clerk she was very polite and was always there for all my needs. shout out to sara! the beach is nice and quiet. I made reservations for next year with sara already as the rooms are always booked!

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2006

Returned a few weeks ago from a trip to Sunset Cove. We found it to be a very cozy family run resort with a lovely private beach - beachside hanging papsan chairs were the perfect spot for a nightly cocktail hour!
The rooms are clean, basic and some are in need of updating. We were only in our room to sleep and grab a quick lunch. We had a kitchen with stove, fridge and microwave so eating out didn't always have to be the only option.
There are several lovely places to sit and talk on the grounds. One sitting area has a waterfall and lots of comfy chairs to sit in. There is a basic breakfast offered every morning - coffee, juice and fruit. There is a drugstore and several restaurants within walking distance.
If you are looking for affordability in a laid-back, relaxing atmosphere....it is here! We already booked our week for next spring!

• Stayed March 2006