“Comfortable Stay”

Ranked #6 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Maine
“Comfortable Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2007

My family stayed at Sunset Cove in February. Unit 10 is one of the largest, with the most space and the best view. We enjoyed gazing out over the bay from our balcony. The room was spacious, very clean, and had all the amenities we needed. The grounds were a little run down, but my 2 year old daughter fell in love with the animal statues! All in all, we had a great stay. If you are looking for glamour, go elsewhere. But if you need a place to kick back and relax in Key Largo, this is the place.

• Liked — large room
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank darasmail

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Naples Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2007

We arrived in Key Largo with no reservations. This was when we found Sunset cove. They're prices were reasonable compared to all the others. The receptionist in the front office was very helpful she gave us a good rates and showed us all types of rooms my fiance and I stayed in the sand dollar room this was a cozy room but for two people what more do we need. 1 queen bed. We paid 110.00. We had the free use of the kayacs, and canoes and they even had coffee in the mornings. We were only supposed to stay for one night and we ended up staying 3 nights! Its places like Sunset Cove that make a trip more enjoyable. We will definently be back next year some time.

3 Thank keyzrebel
Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2007

We waited too long to book a stay anywhere, so we stayed at the Sunset Cove Beach Resort. The name of the place was kind of misleading. It wasn't a "beach resort". It was on the ocean, but it was bayside, so there weren't any waves crashing in like I expected. There's mostly gravel at the "beach" with hardly any sand. I liked that guests had their own little cottages to stay in, like a mini house. Our room was $367 for a 3 night stay. The rooms could of been cleaner, but they were ok. The bathroom was very small and to get in the shower you had to shut the door because the shower was behind the door. My boyfriend and I are young, so it was an ok place for people on a budget, but it could of been better. All of the guests were nice and so were all of the workers, except one lady that worked in the front office. She was kinda rude but other than that everyone was ok.

2 Thank BenniesBabe
Fremont, California, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2007

Horrible! Horrible! Horrible!

I have stayed at many hotels, motels, resorts, guesthouses, lodges, and more, but this "resort" really beats me. Here is what went wrong with our two day stay there during Dec 2006:

-- We stayed in Suite #7, and the rates were high for December. We took the suite only because there wasn't much available elsewhere ... but we now know why Sunset Cove is not booked.

-- The suite was filthy, literally. There was sand all over the floor, the flooring was made of bathroom tiles and they were chipped in many places. My spouse also hurt her foot when walking around the suite.

-- The bathroom was worse than a public restroom. The toilet bowl was loose at its foundation and a little tilt gave out fumes of the sewage tank down below.

-- The bed was creaking, lacked any support, the linen was smelly, dirty and had not been cleaned.

-- There is no housekeeping! If you stay for 3-4 days, YOU need to keep the place clean. They do not!

-- If you need more towels, you have to EXCHANGE your current towels at the front desk for fresh ones. Sort of like a jail ! The towels are also flaky and leave a lot of lint in your clothes / hair.

-- There is NO beach . Period. Don't expect to have a large swimming area with good waves. The water is shallow, dirty with sea weed and does not get cleaned. The "basket" type seats installed next to the water front and dirty & smelly. The recliners and full of sand and God know how many people have been sitting in them without them ever getting cleaned.

Reviews on Hotels tend to be subjective ... but the Sunset Cove really deserves a bad review. I have 20+ pictures to prove my point, and I will upload them here. Heck, I even might start a website that exposes this "resort".

• Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank discoganya
Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2007

We stayed at Sunset Cove for New Years' Eve. Our unit, #10, overlooked the bay; the view was very nice, especially for a last-minute reservation on NYE that was under $200. Our unit was very spacious, with a full kitchen and good-sized living room. It wasn't as clean as I would have liked (a few hairs in the bathroom, really old/dusty comforter), but my husband didn't seem to mind.

As other reviewers have noted, if you're looking for a Mariott experience, this isn't it. It's an old, quaint, keys-style place. One of the murals in our room was dated 1984, to give some idea of age. Some things appeared to be updated -- bathroom, living room furniture; other things were well-worn -- comforter, mattress. This would be a nice safe spot to bring your children, especially if you're in one of the units closer to the water. There are canoes you can use, a small dock and some neat hammocks. There's also a neat looking restaurant/bar about a quarter of a mile down the beach (not associated with Sunset Cove).

We wouldn't mind going back to Sunset Cove, but I'll bring my 409 with me next time :)

Does it really matter?
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2006

I have stayed at this property several times in the past. It is kind of off-beat and if you're looking for a Holliday Inn/Marriott type experience, this isn't the place for you. It's kind of quaint and quirky, a little run down but there is a great dock for sitting or fishing and a very very small beach. They have canoes and kayaks available for guest use but no bicycles or paddle boats any more since the last hurricane. There really are lots of large concrete animals scattered around the property as well as grills for the guests' use. The main complaints I have about this property are that there isn't any housekeeping service unless you ask (and sometimes not even then, though the friendly front desk staff will give you fresh towel and extra toilet paper on request) and the bathrooms in many of the rooms are truly inadequate. The toilets clog if you look at them funny and the shower stalls are not large enough for an average sized adult to bend over to wash his/her feet. The ones without a window also tend to smell a little of sewage (possibly from the everpresent plungers by the toilet). On the whole, it's a nice place to relax. Quiet hours start at 10pm and it's pretty quiet after that. If you're on vacation to order room service and have a maid leave a mint on your pillow every night, there are lots of other places for you. If you want a nice quiet place with friendly people and a great view of the bay where you can relax or contemplate your life, you just might like it here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathrooms/lack of table space in room
  • Stayed November 2006
1 Thank sickofnetaccounts
Houston, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2006

The best things I can say about the property are that our unit was clean, and the front desk staff was nice. It's the kind of place I'd expect to pay $65/night for at a fishing camp, not over $100 a night. Our room backed up to a travel trailer park. In order to get some of our windows to close, I had to stand outside and push while my husband worked the window mechanisms with a knife because the handle was broken. Faucets and fixtures appear to be on their last legs. It was not a place we had any desire to linger in between outings or activities. In fact, we decided to cut our stay short a day and sacrifice the cost of the hotel because iffy weather kept us confined to the room more than we could take.

Obviously some people really like the place and book repeat visits, however, it did not live up to our expectations based on the other reviews found here. We will look for accomodations elsewhere should we find ourselves in Key Largo again.

• Stayed June 2006