“Average quality stay if not a bit pricey”
Review of Amoray Dive Resort

Amoray Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Medina, OH USA
“Average quality stay if not a bit pricey”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I spent 4-nights at the Amoray Dive Resort in April of 2014. This is a no-frills, basic Florida Keys lodging experience. I can't say the property was a "value", even with a 10% discount off standard rates as part of a group package. The staff was friendly and efficient. The rooms, (at least in the South building), are somewhat dated and the furnishings have definitely seen better years. I felt the mattress was comfortable and the bed linens were clean and in good condition. The bathroom floor tile was showing years of use and while I felt it was probably as clean as it could be under the circumstances, it could definitely use replacing. The grounds have the potential to be very pretty, but the property could use a full-time gardener to bring out the full tropical oasis feeling. There were small pieces of trash lying around in various places throughout the grounds, especially by the pool. I liked the chemical-free pool, but the pool furniture, while functional, was definitely well worn. This was just a very average property. The rooms close to the main road are going to be noisy due to the never ending traffic on Route 1. I wanted to leave my windows open, but with no screens to keep out insects and lizards, and the constant traffic noise, this simply wasn't an option. If traffic noise bothers you, be sure to request a room as far from the road as possible. One nice feature of the upstairs rooms in the South building is that they have vaulted ceilings that make the room feel much bigger than it is. The only added "amenity" is a large pot of coffee that is placed down by the dock area each morning. No continental breakfast is offered. If I were going to return to Key Largo, I would definitely explore other lodging options and perhaps look for a property with more updated facilities/rooms before returning to Amoray. If you set your expectations on "average", then you will not be disappointed with this property.

Room Tip: I would not recommend the pool-side rooms, (unless you don't mind your windows being 2' from...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great little place with affordable prices for the key largo area. .. nice and quiet. The sunset view is priceless. . Front Office staff was c very friendly. . The only negative side is that the walls are thin so if you have people next door you can hear them

• Stayed April 2014
cowboy321, Guest Relations Manager at Amoray Dive Resort, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
We are pleased to hear you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us here at Amoray Dive Resort. The sunsets in the Keys are some of the best in the world and we are glad you got to experience it. Thank you for taking the time to review us!
Gotha, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our group stayed from 4/16-4/19/2014. There were 15 of us.

I had room W2a near the water. The room is small but I was alone so it was perfect. The biggest plus: it was VERY quiet. Cons; none. Housekeeping kept the room fresh and always gave me additional towels....not sure why but it was a bonus. They are like ninjas, you never see them and your room is magically transformed from a wreck (I made) to a neat and tidy room that smelled great!

The dive boat (their large pontoon) is the best in The Keys. We were in 3-5's for the Speigel Grove dive with occasional 8's and it never pounded or launched you off the deck. Easy on and easy off. GREAT shower on stern and lots of mask rinsing stations.

The staff is attentive to anything you need and the Boat Captain and crew were gems. Capt'n Mike, Travis and Opus. Miraka was also on board as she is an Amoray newbie riding along to learn the ropes.

The resort Is a little pricey, but it is very consistent year after year and they are very strict as far as the condition of the resort, so you know that you'll have a nice stay.

Safety was my concern as I wanted to keep my gear out all night....it was NOT a concern as the resort is very safe.

I left 3 one dollar bills and $1.60 in change on my dresser as a test to see if the staff was honest as I carried expensive camera gear and needed to be assured that it was safe. Not one penny was touched. Housekeeping staff is all Cuban and they come from a strict moral background....a huge plus for me.

I'd rather pay the few bucks extra to stay here and have my valuables safe, than to stay at a cheapo hotel where today's housekeeping was someone else's yesterday.

If I owned the resort what would I add? Probably a breakfast or donut/fruit bar and I'd have fresh fruit on board the boats for apres' dive (pineapple/strawberries/watermelon). I'd also like to see an area on the pontoon boat to assemble your camera.

Room Tip: Loved the waterfront rooms.....VERY nice, private and quiet, but the whole resort is quiet. The wate...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
We are so glad to hear you had a positive experience here at Amoray Dive Resort. We love having our groups down here and it is awesome to hear you had a great dive on the Spiegel Grove, one of the most popular deep wreck dives in the world! We pride ourselves in keeping our resort safe for our staff and our guests. Key Largo is a great, safe and happy place to be! We hope you come back and stay/dive with us again.
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We chose Amoray because it was not too far out in the keys, but still on the water. Our room didn't face the road, but it felt as if it did. Not a walking area either; the property is cut off from everything by the busy road. You could hear the highway day and night. The bathroom was tired, and the dishes weren't really clean. We didn't expect a kitchen but if one's there you want it to be clean. Beds were not great and you could hear everything going on next door. I understand why it is popular with divers, you can leave right from their dock, but honestly, you need a car in the keys anyway. I would rather have stayed somewhere nicer, quieter and driven to the beach or marina.

Room Tip: You want to be in one of the buildings facing or very near the water. The highway is very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are conveniently located less than a quarter mile from 5 restaurants/bars that are easy to walk to on the bike/walking path. Our waterfront rooms and rooms half way down the property are the most quiet rooms on our property. Give us a call for your next vacation and we can be sure to reserve a waterfront room for you and maybe even get you in the water to dive and take advantage of the convenience of diving on our resort!
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Words that come to mind when I recall our stay at Amoray!
My 18 year old daughter and I wanted to try scuba diving. Admittedly, since it was our first time, I have nothing to compare it to but I was very impressed with the care and professionalism we experienced on the "Discover Scuba" course. All the dive equipment and the dive boat seamed first rate by this newbie. We felt completely safe at all times in the pool class in the morning and during the two open ocean dives in the afternoon. Diving along with a dozen+ experienced divers in the afternoon was really cool and added to our confidence.
The resort grounds are beautiful. The owners obviously take a lot of pride in their establishment. Room was a good value. Our bathroom was probably almost due for updating and could use an exhaust fan. If the windows would have had screens it would have been a nice night to leave the windows open. Bring your breakfast or there is a Waffle House just down the road. But just getting picky here. Your here for the diving, not hanging around in the room.
Really looking forward to coming back again! Would like to see a "stay n dive" package for the Discover Scuba course. I highly recommend being able to stay at the Resort the night before and the night after the Diving class. 3 or 4 nights altogether would even be better.

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the beach are quieter. Rooms upstairs have vaulted ceilings and ceiling fans
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
cowboy321, Guest Relations Manager at Amoray Dive Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
We are so glad to hear about your positive experience diving and staying here with us at Amoray. Thank you for bringing your these few items to our attention, we will have maintenance look in to your suggestions. Since you enjoyed your diving experience so much you and your daughter should consider becoming open water certified here during your next stay!
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is exactly what you would imagine the Florida Keys to be like. Amazing view and all around a great time. I would suggest they update the rooms but other than that, this place is a great little escape!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I spent 4 very comfortable nights at Amy's. The rooms were very clean; the location was convenient, and the staff was most accommodating. They helped us find great places to eat, walk and things to do to substitute for our wind-blown dive trips. Although we didn't get to dive during our stay, I hope to visit again and dive with them. As someone else said, the wi-fi was off and on, but mostly on; but the views from the beach made up for anything else that wasn't perfect. We had a really good time in Key Largo!

Room Tip: The walls are quite thin. End rooms are very spacious, and have 2 queen beds. The rooms closest to t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here at Amy's Amoray Dive Resort! Unfortunately, Mother Nature did not cooperate this time, but we sure hope you come back to see us again to make sure you get to dive with us on the Amoray Diver!