“Sewage leak in room” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Spain
“Sewage leak in room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Very nice quaint and cozy place, also priced fairly.

Two issues came up during our stay. First night, leak from refrigerator caused all clothes to get wet, but staff very nice and washed clothes. Only problem they had bleach in washer from regular linen washing, which resulted in ruining clothes, loss of $200 dollars. Second night, sewage leak in room, previous guest flushed fishing line. This soaked luggage, clothes on bed, thank goodness. Staff moved us to nicer room.

Big hint to all, don't leave anything on floor, including shoes.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
keywesters, Owner at The Pelican, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
We take all of our guest issues seriously and wanted to provide some additional info. Unfortunately the wastewater systems in the keys are very sensitive and often times are impacted by prior guest actions. The good news is that the property waste water system was upgraded in October 2012 to include a new mandated connection to the City waste water system with a new state of the art system. We also made a number of landscaping improvements while that project was underway. We hope you come back soon and try us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

I was traveling by myself on a shoestring, searched for the cheapest accommodation I could find in Key Largo without having to worry about rodents and insects, and I am very glad I found the Pelican. I had a slight doubt given some negative reviews, so I asked the owner to see the room first. Don't get me wrong, the room I got was 1 double bed and very small, but it gets me to the price range I want. The bed was clean and white sheets are white. The bathroom was clean with towels neatly folded. There were no molds in the tiles either. Overall I was very satisfied with the stay and will definitely do it again.

The hotel is on the west side and has a boat ramp. It lets you borrow kayaks if you want. I didn't use those facilities but feel like it's worth mentioning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank George L
keywesters, General Manager at The Pelican, responded to this review, 16 December 2012
All of us at The Pelican appreicate your input!! We work very hard to provide a great product at an affordable price and succeeded in your case!! Hopefully you were able to enjoy a sunset or two while visiting the keys. The Florida Bay is an amazing place. Please come back and try us again - we appreciate your business!!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I spent one night (july 12) with my daughter in the Helonicia. Room was small which was fine. Most important, it was clean. Management was friendly and accommodating. The free canoe was a joy. We did canoe for 2 hours on our search for manatees. Enjoyed the visit and would definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
We appreciate your business and more importantly your great feedback. The Heliconia is definitely a small room and surprisingly frequently occupied! The Pelican staff works hard to maintain an affordable place in a tropical setting. Summer is a perfect time to visit with the beautiful water temps and longer days. Please come back and try us again!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

This place used to be called the Hungry Pelican. I don't know why they changed their name. My son and his significant lady friend stayed here in July 2012. They stayed in the smallest room there is on this property. They ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!!! The free kayaks and canoes are an extra bonus. The continental breakfast was quite good. We were able to walk to Bayside Grille for our family dinner. Everything here is neat, clean, orderly and the price is right!!! My son and his lovely lady cannot wait to return here real soon. The man and lady who run the front desk are very cordial. LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

Room Tip: They are all excellent!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I were here on our honeymoon. We to stayed in the Dolphin Room. The cottage is beachfront (SMALL beachfront) but has a nice view (we think). Since we were trying to save a bit of money we planned on cooking some of our meals. The kitchen is very small and a bit delapitated but we are easy going and planned to make it work to suit our needs. What we weren't planning for was a very large celebration that over took the entire beachfront property which unfortunately was directly in front of our room! The chairs, hammock and path to walk on was completely covered with people. Our screened porch view was of buttocks instead of sunsets.
We went directly to the manager who was kind (at the moment). She told us the beachfront room was beachfront to ALL guests staying at the Pelican. I asked if it was normally this crowded (we went during OFF season) and she told us it was an unusual situation with the large group gathering. At first she tried to move us to another room but she only had a room available for one night and we would have to move back to the Dolphin room for the duration of our stay and unfortunately the large party wasn't going to be leaving by then. She then said she understood our situation and reitterated again that it was an unusual event taking place so she told us she would refund ALL of our money including the deposit, but when I went to check out she ONLY refunded me the amount I had paid that morning when we arrived!! She stated that this was policy (which it is) HOWEVER do NOT state that you will refund ALL MONEY then suddenly change your mind an hour later!! Sorry this is BAD BUSINESS.
Make sure you ASK before booking whether there will be a large party gathering because the beachfront cannot hold more then 12 people comfortably.

*****As an added tip the pictures you see online of the Dolphin and Beach Daze cottages show pics of the beach. What you see is THE ENTIRE BEACH for the entire resort.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I had stayed at The Pelican before in 2010 and just loved it. The grounds and location are just idyllic. The staff is friendly and the price is right! The rooms are clean and each is a little different. We stayed in Gecko this time and it was fine for the two of us. We dive a lot while in Key Largo and this room met our needs just fine. We liked The Pelican so much during our first visit that we decided to get married there. The wedding was perfect and we even had a gorgeous sunset. We had the ceremony on the beach by Beach Daze and Dolphin and the reception was held in the Chiki. Everything was just perfect! We used Caribbean Catering http://islamoradaweddings.com/ and had a great experience with them! We got our flowers from Floral Fantasy Weddings http://www.floralfantasyweddings.com/ and they were GORGEOUS! We kept seeing them all over The Pelican after the wedding was over and our guests had gone home. We stayed for 9 nights all together and were sad to leave. We will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: I'd choose one of the bay front rooms next time, budget permitting. Marlin was also nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

This was my second stay at the Pelican.
Staff is friendly. Room is clean. There was a bug on he floor when I arrived, but we're in Florida, so that's to be expected.
The Gator room was small but had all that I needed for the 3 nights I was staying. The Blanket on the bed was the old style, and it seemed clean but I took my own blanket just in case it hadn't been washed in between guests.
My room was close to the street but the in the window A/C made it impossible to hear the traffic.
Overall, I would stay here again. It's cheap and convenient and friendly and clean,

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo