“Tired Rooms”
Review of The Pelican

The Pelican
Ranked #5 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed in June, and despite the room discount that I was given the value for money was poor. The first night I was in one of the road side rooms. The AC was loud, but the noise from the two lane highway was even louder! A little money to put in insulated windows, modern AC and this room would be OK.

The next day I was moved to an even smaller room a little closer to the beach. There was no where to hang clothes, the room was just as tired as the previous one, and I was over run by ants.

The refrigerator was very loud, so in order to get to sleep I had to turn it off at night.

'Breakfast' consisted of a help yourself galley of pre packaged processed sugary food, and machine coffee, or bread and a selection of jam and peanut butter.

Staff interaction was limited, although one member of staff did have a bunch of his family members over to fry fish on the beach, which would have been a great opportunity to interact with guests, unfortunately the guests were relegated to the other side of the beach and treated as an inconvenience.

This property has so much potential, but the owners do not seem to be interested in encouraging long stay guests, or investing in improvements, or even tidying the place up. What a shame.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Josselin_Chapalay
keywesters, Owner at The Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

We are disappointed that the needs of these guests were not met. But the owners are very interested in advancing this property and are working hard with the staff to meet the needs of our guests.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We have been coming to this spot for years (over 15). Everytime we come, we usually rent the place out. We hosted my sisters babyshower in the chickee hut they have on property 6 years ago. We know the management has recently switched over, and the place really is well maintained, not including the rooms. They are all very old, with old linens. The ac in our room was "on its last leg" as we were told by the manager on duty the first day we checked in. He promised he'd put a new one in on Saturday; never happened. Our room was HOT the entire weekend! The rooms also aren't serviced on a daily basis...no clean towels, bed linens or even your floors cleaned. We had a very rude incident with the manager the 2nd and 3rd day of our visit. To sum this up, we won't be back! We spend alot of money while we're there, renting the entire place, and aren;t treated with any regard! Wish the old management would return!!

Room Tip: The rooms down by the water are much more upgraded, but still no flat screen tvs. Just bigger really...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank kriswalk

We are disappointed that the needs of these guests were not met and at the same time perplexed. The general management of this property has not changed since it was acquired in 1995. It is our practice to routinely replace the linens, particularly the bedspreads, which was just recently done. Our in room directory indicates that we strive to be a green friendly property but will refresh rooms on a daily basis if requested. We also provide guest comment cards which can be mailed directly to the owners for feedback and follow-up which was not utilized in this instance. But at the end of the day, we failed to measure up to expectations. We can and will do better.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Very nice quaint and cozy place, also priced fairly.

Two issues came up during our stay. First night, leak from refrigerator caused all clothes to get wet, but staff very nice and washed clothes. Only problem they had bleach in washer from regular linen washing, which resulted in ruining clothes, loss of $200 dollars. Second night, sewage leak in room, previous guest flushed fishing line. This soaked luggage, clothes on bed, thank goodness. Staff moved us to nicer room.

Big hint to all, don't leave anything on floor, including shoes.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
keywesters, Owner at The Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

We take all of our guest issues seriously and wanted to provide some additional info. Unfortunately the wastewater systems in the keys are very sensitive and often times are impacted by prior guest actions. The good news is that the property waste water system was upgraded in October 2012 to include a new mandated connection to the City waste water system with a new state of the art system. We also made a number of landscaping improvements while that project was underway. We hope you come back soon and try us again!

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I was traveling by myself on a shoestring, searched for the cheapest accommodation I could find in Key Largo without having to worry about rodents and insects, and I am very glad I found the Pelican. I had a slight doubt given some negative reviews, so I asked the owner to see the room first. Don't get me wrong, the room I got was 1 double bed and very small, but it gets me to the price range I want. The bed was clean and white sheets are white. The bathroom was clean with towels neatly folded. There were no molds in the tiles either. Overall I was very satisfied with the stay and will definitely do it again.

The hotel is on the west side and has a boat ramp. It lets you borrow kayaks if you want. I didn't use those facilities but feel like it's worth mentioning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank George L
keywesters, General Manager at The Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2012

All of us at The Pelican appreicate your input!! We work very hard to provide a great product at an affordable price and succeeded in your case!! Hopefully you were able to enjoy a sunset or two while visiting the keys. The Florida Bay is an amazing place. Please come back and try us again - we appreciate your business!!

Reviewed 3 August 2012

I spent one night (july 12) with my daughter in the Helonicia. Room was small which was fine. Most important, it was clean. Management was friendly and accommodating. The free canoe was a joy. We did canoe for 2 hours on our search for manatees. Enjoyed the visit and would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

We appreciate your business and more importantly your great feedback. The Heliconia is definitely a small room and surprisingly frequently occupied! The Pelican staff works hard to maintain an affordable place in a tropical setting. Summer is a perfect time to visit with the beautiful water temps and longer days. Please come back and try us again!!

Reviewed 26 July 2012

This place used to be called the Hungry Pelican. I don't know why they changed their name. My son and his significant lady friend stayed here in July 2012. They stayed in the smallest room there is on this property. They ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!!! The free kayaks and canoes are an extra bonus. The continental breakfast was quite good. We were able to walk to Bayside Grille for our family dinner. Everything here is neat, clean, orderly and the price is right!!! My son and his lovely lady cannot wait to return here real soon. The man and lady who run the front desk are very cordial. LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

Room Tip: They are all excellent!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I were here on our honeymoon. We to stayed in the Dolphin Room. The cottage is beachfront (SMALL beachfront) but has a nice view (we think). Since we were trying to save a bit of money we planned on cooking some of our meals. The kitchen is very small and a bit delapitated but we are easy going and planned to make it work to suit our needs. What we weren't planning for was a very large celebration that over took the entire beachfront property which unfortunately was directly in front of our room! The chairs, hammock and path to walk on was completely covered with people. Our screened porch view was of buttocks instead of sunsets.
We went directly to the manager who was kind (at the moment). She told us the beachfront room was beachfront to ALL guests staying at the Pelican. I asked if it was normally this crowded (we went during OFF season) and she told us it was an unusual situation with the large group gathering. At first she tried to move us to another room but she only had a room available for one night and we would have to move back to the Dolphin room for the duration of our stay and unfortunately the large party wasn't going to be leaving by then. She then said she understood our situation and reitterated again that it was an unusual event taking place so she told us she would refund ALL of our money including the deposit, but when I went to check out she ONLY refunded me the amount I had paid that morning when we arrived!! She stated that this was policy (which it is) HOWEVER do NOT state that you will refund ALL MONEY then suddenly change your mind an hour later!! Sorry this is BAD BUSINESS.
Make sure you ASK before booking whether there will be a large party gathering because the beachfront cannot hold more then 12 people comfortably.

*****As an added tip the pictures you see online of the Dolphin and Beach Daze cottages show pics of the beach. What you see is THE ENTIRE BEACH for the entire resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple