What a lovely surprise! Conveniently located near the start of the Keys (which means a shorter drive from Miami International or, in my case, a 5 minute walk from the Greyhound station), The Pelican nonetheless offers the sought-after seclusion and charm Key Largo promises.
Tucked away from the road, the private dockside allows guests to relax on lounging chairs, a hammock or at a shaded table. While the 'beach' is very small (I'm not even sure it qualifies...) this is a common feature in Key Largo, and I found that there was more than enough space to unwind while also being able to swim. Kayaks are also provided for guests' use.
The rooms and facilities are basic, but offer everything you need and are spotlessly clean. I stayed in the Pisces room, which is small but comfortable. It also came with a microwave, bar fridge, television (with a wide selection of channels), wifi and super efficient aircon!
The staff are friendly and helpful, ready to assist with any query. The continental breakfast (a selection of three cereals, toast and pre-packaged pastries) was a welcome bonus.
As I did not have a rental car (which makes life a little difficult in the Keys!) I was happy to discover a CVS pharmacy, Starbucks, Subway, Burger King and several dive operators within easy walking distance. For a more authentic experience, Snooks, The Bayside Grill & Mrs Mack's Kitchen are also at close range.
While by no means the lap of luxury, The Pelican is perfect for anyone looking for good value for money and a low-key, relaxing stay in Key Largo. I'd definitely recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All 32 of The Pelican's clean and quiet cottage rooms offer different options for relaxing and enjoying all that the Florida Keys has to offer. From experiencing the unique, laid-back bayfront atmosphere, to trying your hand at world-class sportfishing, diving and snorkeling , you are sure to find an activity that suits your tastes. And if that sounds too active, head to our small bayfront beach, where you can enjoy glorious sunsets, gentle breezes, a nap in a hammock or watch manatees and dolphins play. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Pelican reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hungry Pelican Hotel Key Largo
- Hungry Pelican Key Largo
- The Pelican Key Largo, Florida