“Amazing location!”
Review of The Pelican

The Pelican
Ranked #5 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Amazing location and extremely reasonable rates- I'm giving 4 stars, for these two reasons. If I was just rating the room, I'd go lower- but who cares, when you have access to free kayaks/canoes and that beautiful view? We met some great people, who were having their wedding there- it seems to be popular location for weddings and I can see why, with that beautiful backdrop.
The breakfast was included and it was typical hotel/motel continental- I'd go up the street, if you're actually hungry.
If you're looking for luxury amenities, don't bother coming here. But, if you are looking for a great location that's extremely affordable and relaxing- check out the Pelican.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kerrydchicago_IL
keywesters, General Manager at The Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

The Pelican staff works hard to make every guest experience a positive one!! Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to meet the wedding party!! We are able to offer the large Chickee area free of charge for events and weddings are the most popular. Please come back and see us soon again!!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is our second time at The Pelican, the first was for a friend's wedding in March. It's our new favorite spot to stay in Key Largo and right next door to our previous fave spot. We travel with another couple and (ideally) we like to get a cottage with a kitchen so that we can grill out on the patio and then have all the fixins going on inside. We were unable to get a room with a kitchen, this time, so instead I brought some pans I could use on the grill, we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner made on that grill for most of the weekend. Lobster season has just started so we stopped by the Fish House for some freshly-caught-right-there-in-Key-Largo lobster and Mahi and ate like kings for HALF of what it would've cost to eat that meal in a restaurant.
There are docks on the bay with some lounge chairs and a ladder to get in the water, we spent most of Sunday either floating around on blow up rafts or peering at the sea life through the cheapest masks we could find at CVS.
The rooms are as clean as they are going to get in a place in Key Largo that's on the water, but the floors are all tile so no need to worry about what's in the carpet. The towels and sheets are all clean and bleached and the cleaning crew drive around in their golf carts most of the day, if you need anything all you have to do is ask. Each room (without a full kitchen) has a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot and have quick access to a grill and seating area out front of each door. The beds could be more comfortable, that's for sure, but have another Corona before bed and you'll never notice.
We like to consider it "glamping", bring all the stuff you would need on a camping trip, charcoal, utensils, paper towels, plastic table cloth, etc and set yourself up in a nice room with cold a/c, sit out in your little porch area with the citronella burning and enjoy the plumeria and royal poinciana blossoms that fall at your feet.
We already have our next trip booked for March!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Krys P
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Hotels/motels are just a place for us to sleep when we go on vacations so we do not ask for much- just a clean place to sleep and shower. The decor was from the 70's and the beds were hard but for the price, I wasn't going to fuss.
The older manager/owner was very nice, very helpful- the younger guy- not so much, he was busy talking on his cell phone...not even getting off to sign us in.
We kayaked (free)- they have 1 regular kayak, 1 tandem kayak, and a canoe that are free to use. There were nice out door areas to sit and chat or watch TV, a washer and dryer for a $1 a load. Most of the time it was pretty quiet-
Free breakfast in the morning- cereals, milk, pasteries in packages and oranges- coffee too.

Room Tip: The Murphy Kitchen consists of a sink/stove top/mini fridge-freezer combo- yes, combo all in one uni...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank saa179
keywesters, General Manager at The Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

We appreciate the constructive feedback and will incorporate it into our training program. The Florida Bay offers many wonderful water activities and its great you took advantage of it. On weekends, we also offer waffles on our continental breakfast to encourage guests to linger and relax. Come back again soon!!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed here about 6 years ago in the biggest room that they had here at the pelican. The large rooms near the dock are beautiful. Now as for my trip recently, I knew what I was getting myself into and decided to stay anyway. The room was very small( not that we stayed in the room the whole time). The rooms were not unclean I just wish that they were a little cheaper for the room that you get. 90 a night is a little pricey for that small of a room. Other than that I have nothing bad to say about The Pelican, It is a cozy place nesteled into a nice spot off the main road and very close to everything. I love the docks at sunset. Its a magical picture sitting there as the sun sets. The staff were super nice. I had to cancel 2 out of my 3 nights and should have recieved a fee but was never charged anything. Very friendly and wouldnt mind going back if I had enough to get a larger room.

Room Tip: Try and get a larger room if possible
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed here 4 nights for my niece's wedding, The place is filthy, run down, and the continental breakfast a joke - communal jars of jelly, peanut butter, and a stick of butter left in the wrapper. The coffee machine was "broken" the entire stay. Worst of all is that the people who work there gather with 15 other family members and cram into a waterfront room. At night they are drunken and loud and blare their music at full blast. No idyllic sunset there. On the 4th night I complained at the office and was told that they were playing happy music and having fun and nothing would be done about it. I said that all guests have the right to enjoy the area by the water but still nothing. Look at the dates of the pictures where it looks clean and pretty - they are from many years ago. Rooms and common areas are filthy. The father of the bride was out cleaning the tables in the tiki area before his daughter's wedding. Worst place I have ever stayed - not worth paying a cent. No use in complaining at check out - it was the same young man as the night before and he never asked about our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank elizabeth n

We are very disappointed that this guest's expectations were not met. Other wedding reviewers have posted very positive reviews on our site. We did not have a reservation request for the large chickee area which is why the area was not prepped for an event. This reviewer also posted a negative review of Cafe Largo which is one of the nicer restaurants in the area within walking distance.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Pelican with two friends back in March for a dive in Key Largo. We found The Pelican while searching for a place to stay the night before our dive with Key Largo Dive Center. We stayed in the Marlin Room (there were four of us) which consisted of two full-size beds, pull out couch, flat-screen tv, dining room table, kitchen (with small fridge/freezer and kitchen sink) and bathroom. This was a perfect place to crash after a long drive from Central Florida. The beds were small and not the most comfortable, but this is basically what we expect when we are crashing in the Keys. The site is absolutely beautiful, located right on the water with parking next to each cottage. We would absolutely stay here again especially for future dive trips in Key Largo!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Our staff works hard to create a positive guest experience and we are glad your expectations were met. The Marlin is a very popular suite with divers given its nautical theme and the offshore reefs and wrecks are spectacular to dive and snorkel. Please come back and visit us soon again!!

Reviewed 11 July 2013

What a lovely surprise! Conveniently located near the start of the Keys (which means a shorter drive from Miami International or, in my case, a 5 minute walk from the Greyhound station), The Pelican nonetheless offers the sought-after seclusion and charm Key Largo promises.

Tucked away from the road, the private dockside allows guests to relax on lounging chairs, a hammock or at a shaded table. While the 'beach' is very small (I'm not even sure it qualifies...) this is a common feature in Key Largo, and I found that there was more than enough space to unwind while also being able to swim. Kayaks are also provided for guests' use.

The rooms and facilities are basic, but offer everything you need and are spotlessly clean. I stayed in the Pisces room, which is small but comfortable. It also came with a microwave, bar fridge, television (with a wide selection of channels), wifi and super efficient aircon!

The staff are friendly and helpful, ready to assist with any query. The continental breakfast (a selection of three cereals, toast and pre-packaged pastries) was a welcome bonus.

As I did not have a rental car (which makes life a little difficult in the Keys!) I was happy to discover a CVS pharmacy, Starbucks, Subway, Burger King and several dive operators within easy walking distance. For a more authentic experience, Snooks, The Bayside Grill & Mrs Mack's Kitchen are also at close range.

While by no means the lap of luxury, The Pelican is perfect for anyone looking for good value for money and a low-key, relaxing stay in Key Largo. I'd definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2013