“Great Outdoor Site”
Review of The Pelican

The Pelican
Ranked #5 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Three friends and I spent 2 nights at the Pelican. The staff was very friendly and attuned to the needs of visitors. We stayed in the adjoining rooms, Pineapple and Bird of Paradise. The furnishings were old and eclectic in style and bathrooms were lacking in space and had drainage issues. One bathroom shower had nowhere to put soap, shampoo, etc. Having said that, the setting is beautiful and relaxing. We enjoyed sitting in the Tiki huts for conversation and admiring the bay and birds. Since we spent little time in the rooms, we felt that we were able to enjoy of flavor of the Keys without the invasion of modern hassles.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We only stayed for a night but we loved the location an wished that we could have stayed longer. I would like to go back and stay in a larger room. The room we were in was small but it was inexpensive and met our needs for this trip. The office manager was great and could not have been more helpful!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
keywesters, General Manager at The Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

We appreciate your sincere feedback and your acknowledgment of the special nature of the Florida Keys. Hope to see you soon again!!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Love the location! Rented cute 1 bedroom on the water, for the second time. However was disappointed with the quality and type of continental breakfast, white bread is definitely out of fashion. Kitchen was missing simple items, such as can openers and utensils. Light bulbs were missing and switches didn't work. Attention to small details would make this hotel a 4 star.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jaywah
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed here last year in an 85$ room. This year went for the 65$ room. It was 7x9 with a larger bathroom and a better bed! (Better bed not the best) Had a fridge,microwave ,tv, and air conditioner all nicely tucked into the corner. Also had an outdoor seating that was more private than last years room. It served as our 'living room'. Who needs a big room when you are outside enjoying the beautiful weather of the Florida Keys? The grounds are immaculate, rooms could be a little cleaner, but for 65$ no complaints. Nice doc area where you can use their kayaks or just sit and watch the sunset. I hope to go back again for a third visit!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy T

We appreciate your well rounded comments and are glad you took advantage of our outdoor amenities. The Florida Keys have a tremendous amount to offer and hope you come back soon again!!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Rooms were very clean & staff was so friendly, with a very welcoming smile. Price for room was responsible for the area. Had a lovely continental breakfast. Great view of bay! Only problem was the air fresher in room, way too strong and not necessary! Would absolutely stay again. Thanks Pelican!!!!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed in Beach Daze Cottage with my husband and really liked The Pelican. As others have said, if you're looking for a 4 star, this isn't the place but it was exactly what we were looking for...quiet, relaxing and old Largo charm. Would have given 5 out of 5 BUT I have one HUGE complaint. Extremely uncomfortable bed which sagged in the middle so much that I slept on the sofa 6 out of 7 nights. (Speaking of the sofa, it really needs a good cleaning). While talking to another couple staying there, they had the same complaint about their cottage. Come on, how much would it cost to upgrade all the mattresses. I'm sure they could get a real good deal when buying in quantity. After driving, swimming or walking all day, a comfortable bed is a MUST!! When checking out, I mentioned this at the office but they really didn't seem to listen or care.

Would I return to The Pelican? Yes, but I would definitely call before making another reservation to see if mattresses were replaced.

Room Tip: Beach Daze, Dolphin, Sailaway and Rosette are the only cottages right on the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lyn215
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I spent two of the most relaxing days of my life at The Pelican and have only one complaint. I didn't stay as long as I wanted to but I will remedy that soon by returning. Even though my room was clean and had everything I needed to be comfortable, I was in it only long enough to shower and sleep due to being drawn to the beautiful outdoors where I was able to relax and sit on the dock and watch some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets and nap in the hammock in the back yard. The view was amazing.
The staff was courteous and made me feel more than welcome. No question about where I will be going every chance I get.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shirley J

We are pleased that your expectations were met and your kind words about the staff and property. We look forward to your next stay with us!!!