“Great quiet hideway”
Review of Tarpon Flats Inn

Tarpon Flats Inn
Ranked #9 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Tarpon Flats is a great quiet place for a get away. We have stayed there for the last three years. It is always a relaxing stay. The suites have kitchens and are clean and well maintained. The addition of the bikes is great for ride around the area. We recommend this to anyone that's not looking for the busy "hub-bub" of a resort, but want resort accomodations.

Room Tip: We've always stayed in the same room, but I think all are fine.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KeymarPaco

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Beautiful location. Manager left us the wrong key and as we opened the door were surprised by a person standing in the doorway! Much confusion ensued. This person (housesitter?) tried to call the manager with no success. He finally led us to the correct room. There was no coffee in the room, which the manager blamed on the housekeeper. We were never told that we could get towels from the housekeeping storage area and when we tried to get clean ones in the afternoon, the office was closed. Room was okay; could have been cleaner. We enjoyed the locals across the canal!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Piera L, Manager at Tarpon Flats Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Please judge me by all the wonderful comments you have read prior to this and all the new ones you will read after this .The key is no longer a mystery.The keys were mixed up by the owner in persuit of finding out which suite had a personal painting of his. The guest that you walked in on did reach me.The coffee was in the suite all along,the packages were lying flat not upright next to the tea three of them duley counted by the hurt housekeeper and myself on inspection after you left.The gift basket was never mentioned however it was empty of all the chocolates,cheese,crackers fruit etc.The housekeeping storage room is never locked and the towels are kept their not in the office as i had explained to you when you checked in.I am truley sorry your stay was not up to your expectations and will make sure this is never the case again.
Management.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We called the night before arriving in Key Largo after checking all reviews on trip advisor for places to stay while visiting. I was impressed so I called and booked for 1 night. When we arrived (my husband, myself and 8 yr old daughter) we were welcomed by the manager. The manager was etremely nice, showed us our room, gave us information on the great restaurants, shopping, and activities. The room was clean and had a very homey, cozy feel. They also have a area that I would consider a small beach that overlooks Key Largo Bay where you can sit and take in the scenery and enjoy the sun. has has a pool. The manager was informative. You can go fishing in the Bay, the fishing poles are provided for free and bicycles too.The Inn also hasr a washer and dryer on site for guests in the event you have laundry, at no charge. The rooms are very clean, a large kitchen (in the event you want to cook a meal) completely furnished, a large bed and living room area and a telephone in the room. The manager was full of information...she suggested a place called Mrs. Mac or breakfast and provided ues a small business card with a list of restaurants that gave a 10% discount. The locals are very kind and informative as well. We will definitely be back to Tarpon Flats Inn.
The Beeler Family

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dee B
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The Inn is off the highway and right on the water. It has a tiny pool and many chairs to sit in to relax. It is close to the attractions of Key Largo, primarily snorkeling and scuba. There are kayaks and bicycles and fishing poles to use at no extra charge. It would seem to be very relaxing.

However I had difficulty getting a key. The manager seemed impaired and couldn't find a key. We moved into our room and she said she would bring it to us later, but she left before doing so. I called her and she came back, but was unable to find the key. We walked around the facility -- or rather, I walked and she staggered. I was afraid she would fall into the water and I'd have to rescue her. Her speech was somewhat slurred.

Eventually, her husband came and he found the keys in her car somewhere. I did not see her again until it was time to leave and at that point she kept her back turned to me the whole time, saying she was sick. It was disconcerting.

Even so, she tried to be helpful and provided recommendations for food (Sundowners -- mediocre food at too high prices), and snorkeling (Sun divers -- excellent experience). She tried to be helpful and the place is very beautiful.

I overheard the man who was mowing the lawn saying that she had been acting erratically lately. I also spoke with a store keeper nearby, and when she asked about my experience, I explained what was happening. The store keeper was not surprised, so apparently this behavior is not unusual. The store keeper suggested I post this.

I would not normally mention something like this, but it did detract from my stay and made me worry about whether things would get taken care of. The manager complained about the housekeeper to me -- at one point blaming her for the disappearance of the keys. The housekeeper does not speak English, and it was difficult, therefore, to know how to get extra towels, since I was not sure how the manager would respond to me, and I had a hard time communicating with the housekeeper.

Still, it was worth it. But I guess forewarned is forearmed. The service is not what I would expect, which is really too bad, considering how nice the facility is.

One other thing of note -- there is a day camp for kids across the canal and several times a day boats full of chattering kids leave and return. I believe they go on trips to the reefs. In addition, you can hear the conversations of all the men who moor their boats at the marina and across the canal. This is somewhat charming, but the noise can be annoying, too.

Room Tip: Get a second floor balcony room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
TarponFlatsFL, Manager at Tarpon Flats Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

I have managed Tarpon Flats since mid July 2011 alone.I generally work 7 days a week.On this occasion the gentleman is correct i was quite sick.I had taken a common antibiotic for two days and had a very bad reaction.Anyone who has had a alergic reaction to medication will tell you,You are not at all in your right way.I should have gone home but i was afraid to drive and was waiting for my husband to pick me up.I am too proud of Tarpon Flats to hide in a guest suite,but in retrospect maybe i should have.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Nice location, room was large and clean, no real complaints but nothing special.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stay aboard my boat for three weeks, although this not a full fledged marina but an inn in the middle of Largo sound, the facilities were perfect, a little sand beach with palm trees make you feel in the middle of paradise. There is an Enterprise that will deliver your car. Many restaurant within 5 miles and a Publix. The most charming hostess with make you feel right at home.

Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Michel T
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed at Tarpon Flats twice in late February, one night on our way to Key West and one night on our return trip. We are from Colorado and our time at Tarpon Flats felt like an escape from reality! The rooms are quite large and well appointed and had a full kitchen and ice maker. The location is close to restaurants, etc.

Our favorite part was the little island of beach by the water, complete with hammock and a killer view. This was an especially nice place for those with small furry friends. Lovely!

The manager, Piera, was friendly and helpful. We stayed with another couple and they had a wonderful time too! We would definitely recommend this place to others!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room upstairs because of the balcony and the view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family