“Best burgers in Key Largo”
Review of Category Three Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Category Three Bar & Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Category 3 Bar&Grill is located in Key Largo at 99246 Overseas Highway. Award winning burgers, soups, wings and frozen mugs of beer. Casual atmosphere and family friendly. Open Wednesday thru Monday 11am-10pm We are the alternative restaurant choice in the upper keys.. When you are tired of seafood, come see us and get your burger on! We also offer carry-out and catering services. Great beer and wine selection and fresh homemade desserts.. Come see for yourself!! (Inside Seating ONLY)
Reviewed 11 May 2014

After reading the recommendations on Tripadvisor, my wife and I gave this a try. Easily one of the best meals we had in Key Largo. The burgers were large and very flavorful. I had the burger stuffed with pulled pork. Delicious!! Clearly a place frequented by both locals and tourists. Very efficient and friendly staff.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

found this clean but slightly dive like bar, and it turned out to be one of the best meals of the trip ! great burgers, many stuffed with different things, good beer selection, a little slow service but worth waiting for as dish are prepared from scratch!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Been looking forward to visiting Category 3 since planning our trip to the 'keys 6 months ago. Bill and his family made us most welcome and the burgers were exceptional. I had a tasty handmade burger stuffed with mushrooms and with mushroom and cheese topping - so good. My partner ordered the Black & Blue burger which he says was cooked to perfection. Root beer which just kept coming and a friendly chat with Bill and his kids about the hurricanes they have experienced. It was a really interesting and enjoyable experience and the food was awesome. The key lime pie is highly recommended for those who prefer a more tangy tasty version - definitely the best I have had so far this holiday. We will certainly be visiting again before we leave to try another of the burgers on the menu and to hear more stories!
Definitely worth a visit for lunch or evening meal.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

A little gem. Simply the best burgers we've had in America. We went for a pulled pork burger and a jalapeño bacon burger and they were deliciously cooked to perfection. Good range of beers on tap to complement a great meal.

Lovely place, great food, friendly service. Go there now.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We have been to Cat 3 a few times, but the last two times have convinced us that the quality of food has dropped drastically.

We had the chicken philly and chicken quesadilla. The chicken was dry and stringy - and some pieces were burnt to a black ball of crispiness. The fries were overcooked. Who knows...maybe the oil was old. Portions were really small compared to price -- you get more bang for your buck at Sharkeys for the same meals.

Service was beyond slow too. We live here and understand "island time" - but 45 minutes was a little extreme (especially when you're disappointed by what you get)...and our waiter didn't know what to say or do when we politely said that our meals were sort of terrible.

I hate writing a negative review for a place that I fully enjoy the atmosphere of. But it is what it is. Maybe it's the sort of place where you should only order burgers.

All in all place.

2  Thank Shellsinthekeys
bill B, Manager at Category Three Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sincerely sorry you had such a negative experience at Cat 3. As you can see from the vast majority of the other reviews, this type of bad experience is not the norm. Your waiter was actually the owner's son. He has only been back working at the restaurant about a week and obviously needs some coaching on proper protocol when a customer is unhappy. I assure you this will be done. As for your food... most people know that Category 3 is a family run business. A family who is new to the Keys and most certainly is not in the business of serving bad food. This is why we have a policy that if you feel after one to two bites your food is not satisfactory, we will either make you a new one or you simply won't be charged at all. This is with the understanding that you did not eat all of it and then decide to complain. Because we are relatively new, we take complaints as a good thing.. something for us to learn from and grow from. We would never force you to pay for overcooked chicken or anything else for that matter. However, if you choose to eat it all.. there is not a lot that can be done!
After reading your review, I am pretty certain you won't be visiting us again, but I really hope you do and will allow us to make it right.
And, finally.. I think most people would agree with me that Sharkey's is not even in the same category as us when it comes to restaurants. Category 3 is a family friendly establishment that serves ONLY fresh, homemade food and is exceptionally clean and well taken care of. We take huge strides to ensure our staff is working beyond their potential and that our place continues to succeed.
Again, we appreciate your honesty and wish it could have been dealt with properly at the time of your visit. Best wishes to you. Thank you.