We stayed at Azul del Mar for the first three nights of our trip down the Keys. I wish we had spent the entire time there, as it was by far the nicest, most relaxing part of our trip.
Our flight was delayed due to storms, so we were late arriving in Key Largo. Even though the reception office had closed, our room was ready and waiting - cool and inviting after a long day of travel. There was even a map with hand-written suggestions for where we might enjoy a late supper.
The next morning, Dominic took us out a few miles off shore in his boat. Dropped us off in a canoe with a map and instructions. We had a very nice secluded paddle (didn't see anyone for more than 2 hours) before arriving at our pickup point for the ride back to land. We wanted to grill some fresh fish, so Dominic recommended a great local seafood market. Best shrimp I've ever tasted by far. If you go, skip the restaurants, pick up some fresh local shrimp, and toss them on the barbecue.
The property is only about a half hour drive from the entrance to Everglades National Park, so based on advice from Dominic we spent the better part of our second day on a driving tour. That evening, another private boat cruise with Captian Dominic. Saw the best sunset ever. I can't believe no other guests signed up for either boat tour while we were there. Definitely worth the price, and then some.
Before we left for Key West, our next destination, Dominic gave us advice on where to stop along the drive and what to do/see in Key West. Also warned us about some road construction in Key West on the main entrance road. This was a life-saver - the route shown on Google Maps was a real mess but based on Dominic's suggestion we took a different route and were just fine.
The rooms are quiet, spacious, and comfortable, but the best part of Azul del Mar is the owner and his staff. Their willingness to share some of their extensive local knowledge really made the trip. I will definitely book a room here next time I'm in the area, and highly recommend it to all my friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Azul del Mar is an exquisitely renovated boutique hotel nestled in a tropical garden on Florida Bay, Key Largo. The five stylish suites boast marble floors, dark wood furniture, mustard leather sofas, granite counter tops and ice blue bathroom tile. Feather down comforters and the best all cotton linens add a romantic quality to this secluded getaway. Ideal for sailing, diving, fishing, kayaking or simple relaxtion, Azul is Key Largo's best kept secret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Azul del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Del Mar Hotel Key Largo
- Azul Del Mar Key Largo, Florida