Azul del Mar
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$252
US$235
US$267
  • Pool
US$227
US$213
US$156
MB at Key Largo(Key Largo)
US$238
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
US$197
US$188
Seafarer Resort and Beach(Key Largo)(Great Value!)
US$201
All reviewsroyale suiteboutique hotelaveda productskey westprivate piermarble floorshuge bathroomsmall hotelsunset cruiseliving roombird sanctuarycaribbean clubour honeymoonkitchen areaeco tourgas grillwatch the sunset
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I took a 4 day vacation just to hang around the keys and become familiar with the area. We flew into Miami and rented a car and drove about an hour and a half to Key Largo, the northern part of the Keys. We stayed at the Azul Del Mar, which had good reviews on Trip Advisor and paid with united air miles. We were given the Caribe, which I think is the "bottom" of the five or six rooms they have. I say this because we didn't have a view of the sea, but we liked our little bungalow, just fifty steps from the little dock on the bayside. The room contained a roomy fridge, a microwave, a TINY coffee pot, a couch, a small glass table. The house is an historical site and has been converted to a small hotel. It is very private, quiet and in a relatively good location. Kaylyn at the front desk couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. She gave us custom made maps of the keys with special locations noted for us. She recommended a couple of good restaurants in the area, and they were all good, except the Hideout, which was mediocre, but a local favorite. There were several other couples staying near us, and although we saw them and their cars, we rarely ran into them. We were going to have a sunset cruise from the dock, but the weather didn't cooperate. All in all, I would give this place a very good -- excellent would have included a table inside to eat on (there was one on our patio), a better mattress (I had to flip it after the first night, and it was much better), and something to cook on.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms that look out to the sea. I was told that prices go down after June 1 until September. June would be a great time to go...not too hot.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I enjoyed the hotel overall. I did not like how the room felt humid inside the room. The shower was small and needed an unpdate. No tv in the room I stayed in (we liked to watch tv if we can't sleep but still want to lay down). GREATLY ENJOYED the private boat tour that took us out to the reef to snorkel! That was the best part of the hotel! We saw a giant ray, jelly fish, plenty of fish and more! I liked the area the hotel was in too, close to restuarants and stores.

(This is what I did not appreciate but it may be a one time thing with me):
When we first checked in (my fiance and I), the guy made it clear that he thought I was going to be young, obnoxious and a "partier". (I am in my mid twenties and my fiance is late-thirthies.) He asked for my ID and kept telling us they like it quiet there and it's not a kid friendly place. I understand if he has had problems in the past, but he should not make a big deal to future guests. I do not drink and party, nor do I dress like I do so I don't know why the guy made it such a big deal. We were barely in the hotel for most of our stay anyways.

Other than that a nice hotel and enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: The second floor room (with a beach view) I stayed in had a small shower and felt very humid inside.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Nice property, easily accessible but at the same time secluded and private. We were greeted at the reception, and given good advice about activities and dining in the area. Check in time is 4pm, which is quite late.

The room (Caribe) was big and comfortable. The bed was very good. Kitchen and coffee machine are handy. Bathrooms and some of the furnishing were not quite top notch, nothing to seriously complain about, but could be improved since the hotel is not cheap. The room was very clean. Beach towels are provided.

The little beach at the front is a nice spot, with comfortable easy chairs and umbrellas. Swimming in the warm water of the everglades' side of the islands is relaxing. Do not expect crystal clear water and white sand, however.

The hotel is an ideal base for exploring Key Largo, however Key West and the nicest beaches of the Keys (Bahia Honda) are quite far. Key Largo offers great snorkeling and outdoors activities, as well as many seafood restaurants. Breakfast is not offered at the hotel, but awesome breakfast places are just a few minutes drive away.

Room Tip: I did not miss the seaview from the Caribe Suite
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

All you ever dreamed of in your best paradise day-dream, complete with private white sandy beach, swaying palm trees, swinging hammocks and dramatic sunsets. You are made to feel welcome from the moment you arrive and throughout your entire stay. Nothing is too much trouble. We took boat trips from their own key for snorkeling and kayak adventures which were fantastic. The room was clean and luxurious with coffee and tea provided as well as a fridge and microwave. I would recommend this beautiful, relaxing and well run place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A G
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed in the Royale suite with my wife for a few nights in March 2014 which left nothing to be desired. If there is room for improvement I would add a toaster to the kitchen utensils and a tea towel.
One last comment: there are 2 or 3 small steps from the appartment to the lawn, beautifully painted in blue but easy to oversee. My wife tripped in the dark, fell and bruised herself. A white warning strip would help avoid this.

Other than that: this place is ideal for trips to KeyWest, the Everglades, Miami Beach etc.

Room Tip: The Royale has the best ocean views and access.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple