“Wonderful Surprise”

Ranked #4 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Raleigh, NC
“Wonderful Surprise”
Reviewed 7 February 2009

A close friend recommended Azul Del Mar as the perfect place for us to spend a mini vacation. I have to say it was everything we were told it would be and more... The rooms were incredible. Fresh and clean and full of all the top of the line amenities, we immediately felt at home. Unlike a crowded hotel, we felt like we had our own island villa-complete with a beautiful ocean view, warm breezes and our own private entrance to and from our room. It was a perfect setting to read, relax and recapture some sanity. The restaurants recommended by the wonderful hotel staff were great-for any budget. For dinner, the kitchen in the room provided us with the perfect place to prepare drinks and a gourmet snack so we could sit by the ocean and enjoy an unforgettable view. It was a great place to spend time with friends, but I know it will be a perfect place to bring my husband. Azul Del Mar is definitely a place to share...

• Liked — Cleanliness, amenities, view and privacy
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
Manchester
Reviewed 5 February 2009

We stayed for 4 nights in the Aquamarina deluxe ocean view room. Our stay was excellent.

The room is spacious. The bed is huge and very comfortable. The dvd library has a good selection of new films. The staff are helpful but not intrusive. The recommended restaurants were spot on!

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would recommend it to anyone wanting a peace of heaven with privacy.

We also stayed at Azul Key West (see our separate review). The balance of both Azul properties was perfect as they are different but provide the same high standard of quality and service.

Thanks for the free Lindt xmas chocolate bauble & poem on the bed.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
st lcharles, mo
Reviewed 31 January 2009

If you are loking for a beautiful, quiet place to stay, this is the place. Azul is easy to locate, extremely well maintained and has a gorgeous view of the ocean. The property is small, only a few units, has a private pier, picnic tables and grill, lounge chairs, shady areas and a hammock. There are a few kayaks available for rental.
The unit itself was impeccably clean with a kitchenette, seating area and separate bedroom.
When I checked in late in the day, I boldly asked for an upgrade to an ocean view unit whcih had not been rented and the manager graciously granted my wish! So my unit had an additional seating area with a sliding glass door which opened to the sights and sounds of the ocean! There was also a library of DVD's available for use.
Peace and quiet all within easy access to the other amenities Key Largo has to off.

• Disliked — The quiet, smallness and ocean access.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
North Branch, MN
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Here is a note I sent to Azul Del Mar upon our return:
Hello!
We are back in frosty Minnesota, but warmed by our time with you in Key
Largo. Our stay was wonderful. If it is not obvious, your staff is excellent!
I needed to check on a required book for a college class, and was allowed
access to the computer. Anything we needed... directions, suggestions,
reservations... were all handled with all-to-rare genuine customer sevice.
Tad and I will recommend Azul to everyone we know headed in that direction.
Sincerely, Gail Gates

• Liked — Private beach, great staff and service.
  • Disliked — Only one room had a bathtub. (But I got it! :))
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 10 January 2009

If you are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, this is the place. Excellent staff and service. Exactly what we were looking for as a quiet, secluded, romantic time away from the kids. Wonderful accomodations. We stayed in the Royale suite that overlooks the bay -GORGEOUS!! No pool or tiki bar, but we brought in our own drinks.
We went fishing with Captain Mike - arranged by the staff - and had the best fishing of our lives. He was very informative about the Keys and its wildlife.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
oliver scholz
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I had been traveling in the Florida Keys for almost a week when I booked my last night at the Azul del Mar. I booked it mainly on price, given that the Azul only charged $90 for one night.
When we got there late at night, the management had left the key to the room at the front desk. When we got to the room, we were blown away:
1. It was nicer than any place we had stayed at in the Keys.
2. The management had left a complimentary bottle of Korbel champagne in the fridge for us, since it was new years eve. They even left two 2009 champagne glasses on the table.
3. The room was super clean, the bed was comfortable, and the decor was very beautiful. Modern, new, and very tasteful.
We had a great night at the place, watched the fireworks from their pier, and left early in the morning.
Next time I go to the keys, I'm going to spend all my time at the Azul del Mar.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank oscholz
AzulKeyLargo, Owner/Manager at Azul del Mar, responded to this review, 5 January 2009
This was a New Year's gift. The price for this suite is $239 for New Year's Eve. Due to a last minute cancellation, we drastically reduced our rate for the one night to fill up for the festivities. We feel it is important to clarify that this rate is not available under normal circumstances.

Karol Marsden
Yorkshire UK
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Gosh, I need to think about this carefully so not to give the wrong picture or impression.
Did I enjoy my stay at Azul...YES.
Were my expectations met...............hmmm.......NO.

I suggest this is a problem with the internet & all these forums, you get a picture, a vision & can be disappointed when the reality doesnt meet up with your expectations. I was expecting something wonderful with Azul & it just didnt quite deliver. I am not say it was bad or anything, just saying it wasn't quite what I expected.

Azul is a good location, a small, quiet property just off the main highway. It is a superb location for an easy drive back to Miami airport. The grounds are very pleasant, well maintained & invite you to relax. It is possible to walk to nearby "eateries", which are not far away [ a third of a mile ], but you do walk on the hard shoulder which can be a little frought with it being a busy road. We managed it safely on both nights, no problems.

the views from the gardens, pier etc are wonderful & the sunsets are tremendous. lots of places out doors to relax in. Great.

Our room, Orchidea. well, first impression was a little disappointing...but Im not sure why, I guess it must that expectations 'stuff' again. Nice seating area, plenty of space, not quite the sea view I was expecting.....it was a little "side ways on".

Well thought out kitchen area with everything you require. plenty of coffee & milk, which was great. A big "own use" fridge, wonderful, I hate having to shuffle the mini bar 'stuff' & panic that I am going to be charged for something Ive moved.

Nice big bed with wonderfully white sheets. Just a shame there wasnt a bedside table at each side of the bed, so I ended up sleeping with my book.

The biggest downside for me was the bathroom. Fabulous big shower & a great range of toiletries, I just love the Rosemary shampoo. The rest of the bathroom was uncomfortably small. The hand basin stood on its own with very little space to organise your "tranclements"...I dont use make up & all that stuff so I really dont know how some folks would cope with the lack of space. Additionally, there was only room for one towel inside the bathroom..so you had to remeber to take a towel into the bathroom or step into the bedroom to get one. So wet towels were 'stacked' in the bedroom after use at night as they couldnt be hung to dry. And the bathroom fan was so loud!

So I guess it was the bathroom that let it down. I expect so much more for the price, & not a bathromm where I have to "make do" !

Would I stay again, not sure. I think overall it was a tad over-priced for what it is. It is good, but not great.

• Liked — Location, quiteness
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple