“Staying in Paradise”
Review of Azul del Mar

Azul del Mar
Ranked #4 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2009

From the moment we pulled into the grounds we knew this was going to be a fabulous vacation. And we were not disappointed.

Our experience began with check-in were we met a lovely, bubbly and very upbeat women named Kelly. After speaking with her for 5 minutes it was as if we had known each other our entire lives. Check-in was needless to say, painless.

Once we had finished up the usual paperwork, she escorted us to our room which was fabulous, more than I could have expected. We were facing the water and had everything we needed inside our own spacious spot in paradise. The rooms were decorated with beautiful colors that exuded warmth and relaxation. The kitchenette had a refrigerator, microwave, sink, all the plates, silverware, glasses, etc. you could need and they even had a dishwasher!

The view from our room which over looked the bay was even more beautiful than we had imagined. Outside our room was a patio with table and chairs in case al fresco dining was in our plans. Just beyond the patio was a cute thatched roof sitting area complete with comfortable wicker furniture and a stereo system with your own controls which contained a vast array of music. It was a perfect place to sit with a cocktail and enjoy the sunset.

I cannot say enough good things about the Azul and the staff. One could not consider this place a hotel, but a small piece of paradise with everything you could want or need for a relaxing vacation at your fingertips. And if by chance you wanted something different, the staff was ready, willing and able to assist you with anything from dining suggestions to scuba diving trips.

We are counting down the days until we can return for another fabulous and relaxing getaway, it cannot come quickly enough.

Thank you to the Azul del Mar for a vacation that will be tough to beat.

P. McCoy

Reviewed 5 July 2009

I am the Operations Manager at a large company in Miami where I have run my department in the 95% in customer service for over two years. We pride ourselves on great customer service and building relationships. One bad experience takes 10 good experiences to make it right as I am sure you know.
My wife and I called Azul Del Mar and made arrangements for the two of us and our two daughters to stay at this Hotel for the July 4th weekend. The reservation person explained to us they didn't take children. We explained that our daughters were 17 and 18 years old. The reservation clerk then indicated that was ok and said they had a room that overlooked the water and it had a king size mattress for us and a full size for my two daughters. They quoted us $199 for the first night and $219 for the next two nights. We made the reservation and paid 50% down.
We arrived on time and finished paying our bill in full, exactly as it was explained. We got into the room, unpacked and heard a knock on the door. A gentleman, who I presumed was the owner, entered our room and started to indicate that there was a mistake in our payment. He indicated there would need to be an additional charge for my two daughters. This was not explained on the phone or at check in. I explained we had not been told this OR charged this when we arrived. When they saw our daughters, they decided to ask for 100 dollars per night more for them to stay. They indicated that the additional two guests would "stress the room" and that the room wasn't designed for 4 guests. (However, this was a 2-bedroom suite with a living room area, kitchen and large bathroom.) This was all " news" to us. We challenged this and he said "I guess it's your word against ours" He said finally after much debating that he would split the difference and asked for an additional $50.00 per night for what we had already paid for in advance and arranged in advance. He said we could pay this or leave. I live in Miami and my brother is a large developer in Tavernier. I know the beauty of the keys, the people, and the way of life. We feel Azul is a money hungry, unethical hotel where families are discouraged from visiting. This reflects poorly on the keys and your famous hospitality. Any future business from me or my friends and family will not be at any Azul properties, and I will share this experience with TripAdvisor and my leadership circle so none of us make this mistake in the future. Our company has 13, 500 employees in the Homestead and south Florida area, and just like good news travels fast, I'm sure my staff and peers will want to know to stay away from Azul del Mar.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
16  Thank Cheferstan
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Where to start? I can not say enough about this resort! My wife and I had an absolutely wonderfull time here.
We have but one complaint, we did not stay longer than the 3 days that we did.
I would recomend this hotel to any one who wants peace and quiet, a staff that was not only extraordinarily friendly and helpfull but was also delightfull to actually sit and visit with.
We will be back, maybe not as soon as we want, but we will be back!!!!

Reviewed 9 June 2009

I have always wondered what it would be like to live in one of those waterfront properties that you see as you travel through the Keys, being able to sit on the dock with a glass of chilled wine watching the sun set at the end of a perfect day, well this is it.
Perfect rooms, although ours (Aquamarina) was more like an apartment, with three distinct living areas.
Wonderfull views right out into the Bay, and really peaceful, there is plenty of space in the property for everyone to have there own privacy.
Our only regret is that we did not stay longer, we will definately stay here again.

Reviewed 11 April 2009

We spent 4 nights at Azul Key Largo and enjoyed it very much. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The kayaks provided made for a nice relaxing activity. The sunset views from the property were wonderful, we enjoyed them all four nights with cold wine and beer. On the last night just after sunset we saw 2 porpoises swimming past. The view from the sitting area in the celeste suite was beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J_Urban
Reviewed 11 April 2009

Whenever possible, I prefer to stay at smaller hotels. On paper, it seems fabulous but in reality, it's just ok. I stayed in the garden room, which is very spacious and comfortable. On the plus side, the decor is contemporary and clean. The small kitchenette is very well equipped (even had a dishwasher!); they have Direct TV, free WiFi, marble floor throughout, and large bathroom. The property is right on the water, and has kayaks for their guests to you. On the negative side, a couple of things spoiled the stay. There is no shower in the jacuzzi tube but they provided you will a shower head attachment that just wouldn't stay on the faucet. There is minimal sound proofing - I could hear conversations from people passing by, as well as noise from the unit above. There is no bar on the property, so you just have to prepare a head of time. I would still recommend it, just be aware of what you'll be in store for.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
AzulKeyLargo, Owner at Azul del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2009

Azul del Mar, our Art Deco Villa, was originally built as a family home. During conversion some compromise was necessary and it was decided that a corner double, bubble-jet jacuzzi bathtub would offer couples a relaxing alternative to the standard bathtub/shower found in most hotels. For washing hair we simply added a hand shower that slides over the single Roman spout. It's not complicated, and perhaps even too simple for today's sophisticated traveler. If it pops off you just turn down the water pressure a little.

Currently we are looking at alternate solutions but in the meantime it's worth noting that this Tropical Garden Suite is our most affordable accommodation. With an upgrade to one of our Deluxe Seaview Suites you will be treated to endless views across Florida Bay and Everglades' National Park, spectacular sunsets, sailboats passing by, sea rays, dolphin, manatees - and a stand up shower!

Dominic Marsden. Owner.

Reviewed 7 April 2009

I just got back from 2 days at the Azul del Mar in Key Largo. Wonderful location/property, great amenities and friendly staff make this hotel a true delight. Quite simply, if you are going to Key Largo this is the place to stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple