“Nice short stopover - friendly and a great price!”

Seafarer Resort and Beach
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

When looking at hotels in the keys I was stuck by how expensive even more basic hotels can be. My partner and I spent one night at the Seafarer at the end of October 2013 and had the experience we were expecting. This is definitely a modest, budget hotel but DO expect clean sheets, clean towels, clean rooms, and friendly staff.

As we were only staying one night we booked a regular room up closer to the main road. If we were to stay multiple days it would be have been best to book a room closer to the water - they appeared to be bigger, a little more private, and overall more attractive.

The private beach area is great to relax in a hammock, drink a beer in the evening, enjoy breakfast in the morning. There are lots of lounge chairs, adirondack chairs, a pavilion, a few hammocks, and a little pier to walk on.

For breakfast they put out the basics: orange juice, coffee, store-bought muffins. Nothing fancy, just something to put in your stomach before hitting the road.

Right across the street within walking distance there are a few places to eat (local seafood, Denny's, a gas station to buy some drinks/beer/whatever).

Overall: pleasant experience for about $80 total.

Room Tip: If staying for more than one night book one of the larger rooms - they are closer to the water and h...
1  Thank DerekC958

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Beautiful location, very relaxing.. just what we had hoped for. Clean, simple room on waterfront lot with dock, hammocks, kayaks, everything you need for an enjoyable stay. Owner could not have been nicer. Will not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GCook
Reviewed 27 October 2013

When we planned a trip to Key Largo from our home at Boca Raton, Florida, we wanted not only a change of scenery (both places have palm trees and warm weather), but something more "authentic" to the area. Within 5 minutes, my Trip Advisor search turned up Seafarer. This was easy, after I eliminated all the major hotel chains from my search, along with those with low review ratings.

All of the positive accolades about this property in reviews here are spot-on. It is old Florida, a 1952 "motel" on the beach, with many positive aspects, and at a good price. For now! ;) There's only 17 rooms / cottages.

The owner, Henry, purchased Seafarer about 7 months ago, and embarked on a renovation campaign immediately, and it is on-going, and producing great results. I can't wait to see it in a year's time, and I will! Frankly, no worries about visiting Seafarer as she exists. Henry has made great progress.

If you're expecting the Fontainebleau in Miami, or a generic "Hilton", do us a favor and stay away. I've stayed at such hotels, and much better, and this is not what we wanted. Nonetheless, Seafarer gets 5 stars from me, based on who and what they are!

Previous, positive reviews will give you a good idea of what to expect. Seafarer is friendly, comfy, laid back and low-key. Definitely "low frills", but with great value and service.

1. Henry, the owner, is a talented, intelligent, cordial, gracious, and hands-on-owner. He also has a good background in this business that suits him well to owning Seafarer. Heck, he answered the phone when I called to make the reservation! My best photo is of Henry standing on the roof of a building pruning a palm tree- talk about hands-on! He'll do what is necessary to make your stay pleasant.

2. It is a lovely property. As it exists I have no complaints, but Henry is making it better. Watch and see, he'll do it. Obviously, I spoke to him about some of his plans.

3. The staff is WONDERFUL! How could I not mention Scott, who does just about everything. He can check you in, do a repair, (he actually re-painted all the buildings!) get you set up with a Kayak, and that's just one of many hats he wears. He's Henry's man of the moment, and is very cordial, and will go out of his way to help, as will all the staff. Jennifer checked us in when we arrived, and she walked us to our room, "Bonefish", and gave us the lay of the land. Lovely woman. How many times do you get personally shown to your room at most hotels?

4. No bar, no restaurant, but great, complimentary, coffee, orange juice and muffins in the morning outside the office. Their web site explains all, along with a complete plan of the facility and photos and descriptions of all the rooms / cottages.

5. Free Wifi!! It works well too! I saw at least two transmitters in the complex, and I had strong signal strength everywhere.

Our room, "Bonefish", was newly refurbished, as have been other rooms, and featured durable, vinyl hardwood floors throughout, comfy beds and pillows, nice sheets, a 32"+ flat screen TV (with a boat-load of cable channels), French doors leading to the huge deck, and a separate bathroom and shower room. The latter with a "rain shower". I never hesitated walking with bare feet on the floor.

I could go on and on, but I LOVE this place, and certainly hope to return. It ranks among, well, its in a class all its own for Key Largo! Good for you, Henry and crew. My best wishes to you all!

Room Tip: Bonefish, while not the largest, features a huge deck outside, with tiki lanterns, no other room fea...
3  Thank loubetti
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We chose the Seafarer based on TA reviews and it perfectly fit the bill. We liked the low-key, friendly yet unobtrusive atmosphere. This was a great little weekend getaway for us. We loved having kayaks right there on one of the few Keys beaches. It was very down to earth, with a sweet tropical vibe. The facilities were clean and better than basic, but not luxury. The location was nice and the owners were helpful. We will definitely stay here again, and hope it retains its mellow character without becoming overpriced. We enjoyed some great hammock time, looking up at the palm trees and blue skies, gently rocking in the gentle breeze.

Room Tip: Closer to the beach would probably be quieter than closer to the Overseas Hwy. We like our room, The...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank elizabeach
Reviewed 16 October 2013

By reading others' reviews, I knew this was going to be a basic room. It was clean, the staff was very friendly and accommodating, and the view is always beautiful in Key Largo. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to see all available rooms before making a choice. They can be quite different in size and acco...
4  Thank lindapsych
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I first visited Seafarer in June 2013 for 2 nights and enjoyed it on my way to Key West. I stayed again September 9th through 12th for 4 nights and my rating again is 5. In fairness, it is a difficult place to rate depending on your expectations, style, and probably room choice. It is a vintage motel from the 50's or 60's with some villas/cabins extending back to a bayside beach. Their website has a good diagram of the compound. Both times I took Villa 4 since the beach house and another likely room or two were booked, so I can't say much about the rooms up closer to the road. Wifi worked in room. Morning coffee was provided with muffins near the office. All of the staff were friendly without being intrusive. Henry followed up after my visit with an email thanking me for returning. A nice touch.

My review from June tells more about the room, so this time I'll give more emphasis about the property. The exception is the staff has started painting the room and after I left, new doors and counter tops were going in, so it will probably be even better now. The grounds really make the place for me. There are lots of trees (gumbo-limbo, coconut palms, etc) and tropical plants that have been there for a long time. They make it a very lush setting and something only an older complex will have. Also, there are only about 14 rooms and the property is a large rectangle shape. This gives plenty of space to spread out, either in the sitting areas designated for each room or the many choices by the bay. There's a hammock as well and picnic table out on the dock. You can mingle with other guests or not since there are so many places to sit and relax.

There are 4 kayaks free for use-2 singles and 2 doubles. I took one out and the bay was beautiful and calm. A great amenity. Also available at a charge are SUP/stand up paddle boards. There are charcoal grills as well. It's tempting to spend the day right there at the little beach watching pelicans, ibis, baby barracudas, crabs, lizards, iguanas, and squirrels. A manatee also showed up one night. The sunsets are beautiful as well. A good place for nature lovers or to enjoy a cold beverage and socialize.

I think the Seafarer is an excellent choice based on price, location, view, friendly staff, and the chance to enjoy a bit of nature you won't get in a bigger newer place. It's retro but being restored and fits the casual tropical style of the Keys. I like smaller, slightly quirky, older places that have a feel of where you are. Staying in a place like this...you know you're in the Keys.

Room Tip: Villas 3,4 have tiki huts and long water view. Bonefish has a deck.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank donOrlando
HenrySeafarer, Owner at Seafarer Resort and Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for the detailed review.

We appreciate your support.

Henry and the Seafarer family.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stopped here for 2 nights on the basis of the TA and FB reviews for the resort and whilst I wouldn't say any are wildly exaggerated, this is essentially an old style motel with a beach front so don't expect anything resembling luxury or even that modern and you won't be disappointed
So to be fair we had opted for the cheapest room available which happened to be nearest to the road and there is no double glazing (Room 12 I think) The air con unit was unbelievably noisy, compounded by the fridge, we had fortunately kept the ear plugs from the flight otherwise sleep would have been impossible. There were vertical blinds, no curtains, so the light flooded in at around 6 so we didn't sleep well either night. The room was very clean as was the bathroom although the shower head dribbled rather than sprayed but it was adequate. We didn't see Henry at all but the main event of the resort is the beach and the laid back atmosphere. Sun beds and a hammock facilitate great sunset views, drink as many beers as you want (it's encouraged) have a bbq on the beach, stay up all night and watch the stars, anything goes so you can't leave without feeling relaxed and forgiving the antiquities in the room :-)

Room Tip: I would imagine the bigger suites closer to the beach to be more modern as the place is being gradua...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Our commitment is to provide guests a clean and comfortable stay regardless of the price paid.

We acted on your feedback and added a second set of blinds to the windows and replaced the shower head. The ac is a newer individual unit typical for this part of Florida.

We keep many spares on property and usually can resolve almost any issue immediately. If we can't, we will change your room.

We're glad you enjoyed the property and promise that given the opportunity we will ensure a restful night on your next stay!

Thank you again for your comments.

Henry and the Seafarer family.