“Where's the bugs?”

Ranked #14 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
St. Augustine, Florida
“Where's the bugs?”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Although we had stayed at Ed and Ellans before, after reading the reviews I thought things might have changed and it was no longer "the place to stay." Here's what we found. A very clean, bug free, stress free place where we could unwind and be comfortable. When you consider the cost of other places we could have stayed, The value far out weights cost. Ed is a very funny man who's sence of humor is only exceeded by his height. Ellan is a GEM. We stayed at both Big Pine Key and Key Largo during our vacation and were very pleased with the value. Anything you could want just ask and they will try to "do" for you. Each day we were greated by smiles and service. So if you are looking for old world charm, a great value for the price, friendly owners, cleanlyness and comfort this is the place for you to stay. Thank you so much for a great vacation, we will be back..... Paula & Ken

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bettyp00
flkeystravel, Owner at Ed & Ellen's Lodgings, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thanks again Paula & Ken. We look forward to seeing you next time.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 5 January 2012

There is a certain charm to this place. A relaxed and easy place to stay. The room was clean enough for us, the beds comfortable, the owners super helpful and friendly. The price was right, the location good, and the stay was pleasant. Not the newest, fanciest, or loaded with amenities, but we were left alone to enjoy our vacation and made to feel like we were staying at a friend's house who was out of town, but still sent a housekeeper to come and bring towels and make the beds. I would recommend this place, but remember that there is a Marriott down the road if you want a hotel experience, which this is not. I saw no problems with bugs or cleanliness, it just isn't brand new or fancy. Served our purposes and exceeded our expectations. And Evelyn's restaurant across the street was great!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ChaucerLady
flkeystravel, Manager at Ed & Ellen's Lodgings, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thank you for staying with us we appreciate your comments. Your review is exactly what we try to provide for our guests. Please come back and see us next time you are in the Keys.
Manhattan, ny
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My husband and I were planning to spend the new year in the exotic Bahia Honda park.

We found this Ed &ellen's online and I booked it in middle December. After paid with credit card via Internet, I called this lodging, just to make sure. Ed I believe, who picked up the call, confirmed me that he can see my name on the reservation.

Funny enough, Ten days' later I received an email notifying the reservation just been cancelled for no reason. I would rather take it for a joke! I called Ed again who's murmured impatiently in the phone, saying he would check why he cancelled it and call me back. He might just had some beer as I could fully understand his English. Anyway, he never called me.

He cancelled our reservation So close to our arrival day, almost all the hotels in the lower keys have been fully booked.

Integrity is the foremost when conduct business, correct?

Room Tip: Anyway, the big pine key is a fantastic place, you can even see living corals by swimming in Bahia h...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucy Q
We are sorry you had a bad experience booking online. Unfortunately the site you made your reservation with was not fully setup and should not have been accepting reservations. This created a problem for us as well because we were fully booked and needed to honor our reservations. We had no knowledge of your reservation, did not accept any online payment, had no part in cancelling your reservation and never even spoke with you on the phone.

If you had made your reservation with Ed or Ellen you would have had a room.

Travellers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I stayed at E&E based on the recommendation of a friend who lives in Key Largo. I read the reviews on TA and was concerned about the things said. As it turned out, my stay was very good. Many of the review comments appeared to be from stays at their other facility further down the Keys.

First E&E is nothing more than a clean room, good beds, small kitchen with frig, microwave & stove, TV, A/C plus a clean bathroom with a decent shower. If you're looking for hotel amenities, this isn't the place. There appeared to be three similar rooms in the building I was in, labeled North, Middle & South. I stayed in the North room which had two double beds. There may be other rooms, but I did not see them. There was a BBQ grill and a picnic table outside, but it was too hot to consider using them.

Ellen came by daily and made up the bed, freshened the towels, etc.

The only negative was that the A/C unit was a bit noisy, but I'm a sound sleeper and it did not bother me. Plus it drowned out any noise from the highway in front of the facility.

There was no sign of bug infestation or excessive amounts of dirt in the room. This is Florida and there were a couple small bugs near the door, but nothing to become alarmed about. I checked carefully for bed bugs, as I do at every hotel, but there was no sign of any.

For the price, this was a great deal. I was on a scuba trip and all I was looking for was a place to sleep and shower. E&E filled that to a "T". I would return to their Key Largo facility without question.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a BEST room. They all appeared similar.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank divengolf
Chicagoland, IL
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My husband and I spent two nights at Ed & Ellen's in Key Largo. We didn't have reservations and this was available. Our only other option was to pay $250 a night elsewhere. It was centrally located (about a mile from John Pennekamp State Park where we snorkled) and had a small kitchenette. It was very basic. Since our expections were not for the Ritz, it was OK. For $79/night we felt lucky we didn't have to drive to Miami to find another place or sleep in the car.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trample
Ashton,IL
Reviewed 24 February 2011

FEB.2011 Stayed for the 4th time at Ed and Ellen's.
As always, the duplex was clean...A convenient location for visiting the Keys. The price is unbeatable!! A perfect place to stay for 2-7 people. Quiet side street. Just perfect. We ate our meals at Big Pine Restaurant. The food is excellent, portions generous, and prices quite affordable. Staff very pleasant, service excellent...Thank you all!!!

2 Thank Birdiepie
Cardiff
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I thought that, apart from the furnishings being a bit out of date, the place was fine for the Keys. I didn't see any dirt or coackroaches and the cooking facilities were perfectly adequate. Ed was friendly & helpful.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends