“Buyer Beware”

Ed & Ellen's Lodgings
Ranked #14 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I fell from a poorly maintained deck at Ed's apartment on Narcissus Ave. in Big Pine on April 4, 2014, losing my hearing aid and cell phone. The deck had openings that allowed my chair's leg to slip through and dump me into the channel. I expected Ed to offer some compensation for my upcoming expenses, but he demanded full payment for the four nights. Luckily I wasn't injured (my old lifeguard training), but Ed showed a perfect lack of regard for my well being. I would have given this place a higher rating but for the indifference of the owner.

Room Tip: I would avoid Ed and Ellen's, especially with children.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robert5743

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I came down to Key Largo with a group of friends to have a nice weekend in the Keys to kayak and grill. This place was, by far, the worst part of our vacation. More than the terrible up keep(ants, dirty sheets) and outdated "amenities"(or lack there of), the owners were downright rude. Well aware of the slight upcharge for additional people, we were harassed and monitored whenever we were there(tried to avoid) and I was threatened once we were checking out(on time and room cleared) about "charging" my card. Completely unprofessional. I would not recommend this stay for ANYONE, regardless of budget. At this place the phrase rings true, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 4 March 2014

First of all, the place is hard to find off the Overseas Highway. But, once you find it, you'll want to hurry into the main office, which is littered with piles of rolled-up architectural drawings, old pillows and sheets, dated appliances, lots of old crap, and an old desk where guests "register" and check in. There, you'll meet "Ed", who'll give you the strong impression that he's been downing the vodka all day long (You might be lucky enough to smell it on his breath like we did).

Once inside the room, the first thing that you'll notice is the dank, dark look of the room. Turn on the fan switch, and you'll be graced with the viciously wobbling and rattling of both fans (Yes! Two fans!). The lights on the fans were held together with decaying duct tape (and, a prayer). Needless to say, we did not use the fans. And, when we told by "Ellen" about the noisy, wobbly fans, her reply was, "Well, no one uses the fans when they stay here". I guess "Ellen" personally stays with each guest in their rooms to see whether they use the fans or not...

The faucet in the bathroom leaked. There was a waste basket under the sink to keep the water from dripping on the floor. "Ellen" stated that she didn't have the time to fix the faucet. It was easier for her to empty the basket prior to each guest's arrival. How unique!

The beds were old and disgusting. So was the carpeting. The ceiling fans were never dusted, as well as other areas in the room. The maintenance person (I'm guessing that would be "Ed") loved using caulk to fix the water and draft issues in the room. I would estimate that one tube of caulk alone was used to seal the air around the loud-running, inefficient air conditioning unit mounted in the wall.

Oh, and by the way: there were a lot of ants crawling around in our room. "Ellen" denied their existence as well...

It would be a better value for you if you spent the money and dumped it all into a casino slot machine than to spend it at this establishment.

Room Tip: Rooms located elsewhere are a better value
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lance M
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We were in the Keys for a long weekend and didn't want to drive down to Key West so after looking at the reviews decided to try Ed and Ellens. The room was clean and comfortable. The location was ideal and bith Ed and Ellen were friendly and helpful. We will be back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked this place mainly for its budget price. It is essentially a basement suite, it has a very noisy air conditioner (that we elected not to use - sweated it out instead), a television located next to the ceiling, no chairs to sit in (I don't count stools), and beds very poorly made. All in all, not very comfortable. I also found the manager fond of making inappropriate remarks at the client's expense - and that is not something I choose to pay for. A little respect and courtesy would have been nice. On the up side, it is a good location to John Pennekamp Park.

Room Tip: Consider paying a little more...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pedro999
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is an old. budget motel. Not near beach. Clean. Old linens, towels sheets etc.
Small bathroom with an ultra water saver shower head...
Road noise and very noisy air conditioner. Nice owner. Good location at the
start of the keys.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I debated how far from Key West to say, since I am not fond of bridges nor do I like paying outrageous prices for a room. Ed and Ellen's on Big Pine Key was the perfect solution. They have 2 identical duplexes on the same street. We stayed in the one furthest away from the road and it was quiet and relaxing.

We arrived on Thanksgiving day to find the Big Pine Key duplex situated in the Key Deer Preserve. The outside structure was typical of a stilt home and the interior was spacious, clean and comfortable. The views from the front and back deck are amazing, it was wonderful sitting on the back deck watching the sunrise and then watching the sunset from the front deck. We even had visitors one morning, Key Deer in the front yard, that was cool.

This is a very functional 2 bedroom unit with a full kitchen, televisions in the living room and both bedrooms, ceiling fans and great water pressure (a big surprise). I was a bit concerned about that since the duplex is not in town. Everything was provided: dinnerware, cookware, full fridge, stove w/ oven, microwave, toaster and coffee pot. Plenty of linens and comfy beds made this a great stay. The unit has A/C but we didn't need it since there was a wonderful breeze, we just kept the windows open.

When we come to the keys again, we WILL be staying at Ed and Ellen's Lodging on Big Pine Key.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple