“Hidden Gem revisited”
Review of Bay Cove Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Bay Cove Motel
Ranked #10 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
USA
“Hidden Gem revisited”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is my 4th stay, and I've been pleased every time. Simple, basic, low cost, and very serene.
This time we were in Unit2, and in the past I've read lower rated reviews to this room due to highway noise. But over the busy 4th of July weekend, we had no issues. Windows were closed and AC running was all the white noise we needed.
Another great stay, we'll be back again I'm sure.

Room Tip: No pool but dock to the bay for swimming, kayacking, snorkeling, etc.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We spent a weekend at the Bay Cove Motel in June. It was modest, clean, and very comfortable.
The beds were very soft, the kitchen was stocked for cooking, and there were grills outside for guests. The motel is on the bay. Our room had a bit of a view from the kitchen window. Wall air-conditioner that cooled well and created a good "white noise" for sleeping. The whole place had an old time Florida feel to it. It was relaxing sitting in the deck chairs on their beach at sunset.

The current manager, Dana, met us at the office and checked in on us to make sure everything was satisfactory. Reasonably priced and next door to Mrs. Mac's restaurant. I plan to stay there again. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rebecca N
florida
Reviewed 30 June 2013

If you're looking for a full service hotel or resort with room-service + pool etc. - there's a Marriott just up the road which will certainly set you back a bob or two. If you're looking for an inexpensive, CLEAN, well located, welcoming place to bed down at night after a day out on the water, where you can take your boat (20 foot or smaller) and can launch it for no charge AND keep it docked for no charge - a place that is clean, well appointed, right next door to Mrs. Mac's (best breakfast place around with the greatest big glass of freshly squeezed sweet and delicious orange juice for only $5), a place where the management do their best for you, are kind and helpful - then THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO.

Shower pressure was really good, water was hot - absolutely no complaints there. Yes, we had booked last minute and yes I had asked for the least expensive room in the motel which turned out to be room number 1 with a queen bed, right next to the office and very close to the road - so there was traffic noise and the garbage truck doing a pick up at about 4 or 5 am on Saturday morning - but it was only $75 and a thousand times better value than any other place in that area - so I'm really not fussed about that at all. I'd take that any time over a $200/night charge plus boat dock/launch charges elsewhere!

The queen bed was comfy - the a/c was freezingly cold, which is what you want in summer in Florida - the microwave, fridge and toaster looked brand new - what a pleasure. When we first opened the fridge though, a waft of mouldy/musty/dead/ughy/rotten air came out - obviously the previous guest had turned off the fridge and left the door closed - so when I mentioned this to the owner (I think it was the owner) - she came over immediately to smell the odor, and went off quickly to get a cleaner and came back and promptly wiped it out inside, so that any lingering odor was gone - she could not have been nicer or more quick to take action. We were so appreciative. It wasn't a function of an old or broken fridge, but the on/off switch inside the fridge had been turned to off by the previous guest, which had obviously resulted in stale musty air accumulating inside. The minute it was wiped out, it smelled just perfect!!!!

Just the owner's willingness and helpfulness really warmed us to the place even more. Dana, the man who had checked us in, was also super helpful and friendly and really made us welcome. I have to say we did struggle with the tightness of the place, trying to turn the truck around with the trailer so we could reverse the boat into the water - but next time we go, we'll turn around at the top of the property and reverse all the way down - just the location of the wonderful big trees makes it difficult if you try to turn your vehicle around halfway down the property. The ramp is located on the side, next to the wall, so you must be sure to launch your boat slowly (reverse your trailer in slowly) but the ramp is nice and shallow so you don't have to worry about your vehicle going in steeply and wetting the exhaust or getting stuck.

We unfortunately had to leave on Saturday night although we were booked until Sunday as something had come up, and it was only when we checked out that I found out that you can also use their kayaks (no charge) - how great is that! I don't know if we'd use them, we pretty much love to leave early on the boat and come back late afternoon but at least it's an option. For us, going out to the reefs is what it's all about, although the swimming area right off the property was fantastic - superb clear water - just wonderful to dive right in after a long drive.

There is no pool (who needs it though, being able to get into the bay right there) and sadly no shower to rinse salt water off (that would be my only gripe - I know fresh water is costly but it would make a HUGE difference, just to be able to rinse off after spending a day snorkeling).

For the price, you absolutely cannot beat Bay Cove Motel - next time though we'll probably request a room further down the property away from the road, but even if we get the same room again, it will still be great. Can't wait to go back!!

Oh - I forgot to mention free wifi!!! Extra towels available upon request. We had stayed here three years ago - and I guess either we had forgotten or they had changed their policy on this, but there was no soap or shampoo provided in the rooms at all. We had to go out and buy them, but at least we'll know for next time to bring them with us. There was a coffee maker in the room too - no coffee - so bring your own. Not complaining - just wish I'd known ahead of time as I'd have brought coffee and soap/shampoo with us. know for next time though! For the price, can't really expect it.

For anyone interested, we went out to Molasses Reef - it was AMAZING!!! Really worth a visit. We also went to Pickles Reef (average) and Conch Reef (very good) - we didn't stay long at Conch as the waves had picked up to about 4 - 6 feet, but I could see some great coral formations and lots of marine life - so I would go back there again. Molasses definitely was the highlight of the trip for us - great viz - surrounded by jacks swimming so close to my camera that the entire screen was taken up by jack! They just seemed to enjoy playing chicken - who out of the group of jacks could get closest to us! It was just a treat. Saw a huge ray too, loads of fish - it was fabulous. Just sorry the sea was so rough.

Anyway - Bay Cove Motel is in Key Largo, very close to gas station, Bank of America, Walgreens and CVS, and right next door to Mrs. Macs (best orange juice in south Florida, breakfast/lunch/dinner closed Sundays and worth a visit) - just a fabulous location. Love it, thank you for a wonderful stay Bay Cove - we will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chewedpup
Hollywood, Florida, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2013

my husband and i had work in key largo and we stayed for a month in bay cove motel we met the owner who is a great person we also met some of the people staying there who were also great.i also loved it because its on the water. i also saw some really cool things like a dolphin and a manatee. and the squirels were handfed and adorable. the room was great the beds were comfortable the owner was very accomodating as well were the staff i just had an incredible time and cant wait to go see my new friends and stay at the bay cove motel

Room Tip: all i can say is go get a room at bay cove motel you'll love it there
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Amy B
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 2 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the motel on April 23, 24 and 25, 2013. I called first to asked some questions about our room. Should have know I was in trouble when I asked if I was on the 1st or 2nd floor and the gal said there was no second floor. But, when she looked up our room number told me we were on the 2nd floor. Also asked if there was a hair dryer and she said yes, if there was one it was hiding under the bed as I could not find it. You have no telephone in your room so if you have any problems you have to find the gal on the golf cart as you cannot call the front desk. The room was huge and it was not the Ritz, but the price was right and we could see the water from the kitchen window. As for the cleaning staff. I think all they do is make the bed. Could not find the golf cart so had to go to the store to buy toliet paper. I would bring a roll with me next trip to be on the save side. They also have a sign that says if you do not wash your dishes they charge you an extre $45.00 a day. Had to go buy a roll of paper towels to do that. The final thing is they say if you want your bathroom towels replaced to leave them on the bathroom floor. When you do that they just put them back on the towel rack and do not even bother to fold them. As I said the price is right and they are close to everything but it is a little like camping out so be prepared. I would still go again.

Room Tip: Corner suites. With a full kitchen
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 22 April 2013

A few years ago my husband an I stayed here on a weekend vacation with our best friends. It isn't the newest or the freshest place I've ever stayed but it is just perfect for what it is. Each little bungalow has an outdoor seating area with a table and grill and each room has a fridge, coffee maker and microwave. We now go down at least once a year to stay here, we can bring groceries and cookout, hang out down by the water on the dock or on the shore. The large house on the water has 2BR/3BA, living room with pullout couch and a full kitchen and don't forget the hammock under the flowering tree out front. We rented the house as a foursome on our last trip and it was perfect. We cooked out each night down by the water and sat under the tiki to eat, when it got dark we brought out the board games and sat under the stars playing Jenga and drinking beer. During the day we would spend hours floating on rafts off the end of the dock or taking out the complimentary kayaks to explore the surrounding mangroves. Don't expect fancy but expect to get a real "Keys" experience without driving too far from the mainland. I'm already dreaming of our next trip...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Krys P
debbutcher
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We usually go all the way to Key West. This time we decided to stay in Key Largo. Bay Cove was a very nice place to stay. It has that typical Keys feel, which is what we like. The room was very clean and the owners/employees were very nice and helpful. We enjoyed seeing the sights by day and watching sunsets at night from the dock. It is quiet and just has a very homey feel. We would definitely stay here again. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple