“So So”
Review of Ocean Reef Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Ocean Reef Club
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed 29 November 2008

We stayed for the NASCAR final weekend, and found the property to be very well maintained with lots of shops and beautiful views. The hotel rooms have been going through renovations and the results in terms of looks and style are very good. I do not believe all the rooms are completed so you better asked for the NEW rooms. That said, the new rooms still need some work. The contruction looked rushed. My shower plumbing was reversed. Hot was cold cold was hot. A friend got an old one which was no where near the quality for the room rate.

Most of the food and beverage staff are from different countries and in many cases is was clear to see English was a second language. The biggest thing was gratuity is pool! This in my mind explained what I would classify as a "going through the motion" service experience. No incentive for individuals to do more!

For the money I would try another property.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
6  Thank hpgs35

Reviewed 12 August 2008

If you are interested in a "Boot Camp" this place is for you. They have rules for everything and a staff that is eager to jump down your throat to enforce it.

No A/C, mill dew smell in most places and a staff that would rather you stay home because you are not an elite Ocean Reef member.

The condo's are run down and the paint is peeling.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
14  Thank FredFlorida
Reviewed 28 April 2008

My family began going to ORC when it was a little fishing village. As Dorothy once said "toto, we aren't in Kansas anymore". Going back to Ocean Reef was a bit sad after all these years!

Something happened in the 80's. The sweet little fishing village change dramatically and became something I am not interested in bringing my children to. There used to be a dive shop, ice cream shop and a few CASUAL restaurants-Burgee Bar, Buccaneer Island, the Islander etc. It now looks like Beverly Hills or Greenwich. That is fine, if that is what you want. I just wanted to remember ORC as a laid back, flip flop beachy place. If you too are looking for that, go elsewhere. IF it is glamour and expense, this is the place for you!

• Stayed: January 2003, travelled with family
13  Thank sjpmom
Reviewed 26 April 2008

Just got back from a weekend at Ocean Reef and think the place is absolutely fantastic. We stayed a someone's private home, so I cannot comment on the hotel rooms, but just being there I have a hard time believing that anything there is not top notch. The pool/lagoon area was one of the best I've been to, a zero entry pool, two slash areas make tis place great for young kids. The staff and everyone we meet were great. Defintely plan on going back here.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We didn't stay in the hotel but in a condo. Definitely a bit worn but easily overlooked with our two kids in tow - worth it to have a kitchen and two bedrooms. Unless you're at either end of the spectrum: young kids or older, I wouldn't go here. Not a singles place, not romantic but AMAZING for families. Kids club, kids activities at the phenomenal Buccaneer Island, mini golf, golf carts, ice cream shop in the fishing village....it is a kids paradise. For adults a range of activities including golf, tennis, yoga, pilates and of course, boating. That is really why people come here for the boating. This is not a traditional hotel. It is truly a clubby atmosphere and caters to families or groups. And for those it's perfect....singles or young couples won't love it. Food is typical club food -- just ok, but it's not why people come here.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank bimmie
Reviewed 22 January 2008

We visited Ocean Reef again in January for the MLK long holiday weekend. We had a great lunch at the Raw Bar, dinner at Carrysfort Sun night (my daughter's 24 birthday and she loved the millionaire eggs and the pasta) and when it rained on Monday we ate great tuna tacos at the Islander. The food and service were super in each case (all of our watiers were from Argentina, spoke English very well and were unfailing cheerful and energetic). Other activity of note: went reef fishing on Saturday afternoon and caught several grouper and a 20 pound mackerel , which the Islander cooked up for us Saturday night in several different ways. The bells rang at the church on Sunday at 9 Am, and the service was noice, and people friendly to strangers. My wife said the omlette she got at the Sunday brunch in the Ocean Room was the best she has ever had, and I loved the waffles. My daughter and her boyfriend took off in a golf cart and had snacks at the Burgee Bar on Sunday while watching the footbll playoffs, and visited the History exhibit at the Cultural Center. I had a great round of golf and the course was wide open, no rush and always an opportunity to hit a second "needed practice shot" after a 3 month hiatus from the links. Would we go back ? ... the family can't wait and I booked a longer trip in March today.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank allerton
Reviewed 8 December 2007

This place is the pits- The room we stayed in for two hours was in Pompano building nasty moldy interior and dirty- We then went to Michelle's for dinner- I have been in nicer banquet halls- This place smelled of Mold- we walked out and checked out after that- The pool is small and full of kids- the bar is kinda rowdy crowd- The food at palm court was mediocre and the service is non existent-

Would never become a member here or stay here ever again!

Stayed: December 2007