“Relaxation, charm....best kept secret.”
Review of Ocean Reef Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Ocean Reef Club
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
South Florida, Florida
“Relaxation, charm....best kept secret.”
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My wife and I recently returned from a three night stay at the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo, FL. I found the service to be fantastic by nearly all of the employees, the room picture-perfect with a view of the ocean from our bed and balcony and the food service to be accomodating and usually very good.

I read some of the reviews which protrayed the staff to be judgemental and not friendly. My wife and I did not find this to be the case. I suppose if you enter the dress code restricted restaurants with cut-off jeans and tank-tops while chatting on your cell phone, you may get some attitude but even this may be a stretch. Perhaps some of the regular club members are more easily recognized by the staff as compared to newer guests which may cause a mistaken illusion of lesser service (as noted by other reviewers). There are many restaurants on the island which accomodate all sorts of tastes, dress requirements and price points. You must take a few hours or few days to explore the island on a golf cart!! The shopping located at the Fishing Village was not excessively pricey and even had some great sales during the off-season while we were there. It was a welcomed experience to walk around this resort and not hear cell phones in the restaurants and smell cigarette smoke at the pool. Even the small children were well behaved (along with their parents)!!!

My wife described this place as a cruise without the ship. You use your 'key-card' as a form of payment at the restaurants and even the stores (or you can use other forms of payment). If you have dietary restrictions or have to eat every couple of hours, you may wish to plan your day a bit or keep some food in your room, as some of the restaurants close before others open, leaving a gap of an hour or so......However, room service is always an option. Apparently, the restaurant hours are more expanded during 'season vs. off-season.' Room service took 35-40 minutes but was very good and arrived exactly when they said it would. We ate over ten meals and all but one were very good = 90%. The weekend breakfast buffet is an absolute must!

I strongly recommend you get a room with a view of the ocean. The Dolphin is one example of a building with a view but there are others. I also recommend that you rent a golf cart and explore the island. Like any destination, you get what you give. If you are friendly (or just kind), remember your 'pleases and thank-you's', you will be treated like a fellow member of this unique club. If you don't, perhaps you will have an experience like some of the others on Trip Advisor who were less pleased. The cost of food, rentals and excursions were on par with other resorts of this quality. We felt the quality and service of most items warranted the price.

My wife and I look forward to returning to the ORC again for a few days of relaxing by the multiple pools and enjoying a unique experience where old style charm, manners and sophistication are alive and well.

Enjoy your vacation!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Vacaydoc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Weeki Wachee, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2010

It's beautiful. It's exclusive. It's expensive. If that's what you are looking fir, then this might be the place!
The staff Is friendly and helpful and the grounds are exquisite. Beautiful pools, including a saltwater beach, this is a family friendly resort!
We had a great time here for a conference and hope we will be able to return one day.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank rickyred
chicago
Reviewed 23 June 2010

i've been a member since I was born, I'm the 3rd generation at the club. It is a wonderful place for family and friends, but not a touristy one. It will cater to tourists, despite what other reviews say, but only if you are willing to splurge. If you get the cheapest hotel and eat at the cheapest places, you are setting yourself up for a bad trip. Ocean reef is very expensive, so if you're going to go, go all out. Aside from that, there is a rather pretencious dress code. Do NOT wear hats, denim, t-shirts, to any resturant unless it's the rawbar (my favorite). And if you are looking for a party, no matter what age, you've come to the right place, but this place only parties with class. I'm talking designer clothes, rediculous jewelry, and only the best in drinks. Come to ocean reef and live like royalty!

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
6 Thank bjcrew24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Not what I expected. Food was exceptionally mediocre; staff was inconsistent - some were very attentive, most were "looking the other way" all the time.
The sand fleas were out of control, I left with about a half dozen bites on each limb. When I complained they thanked me for staying!! What's that all about?!
I just don't get it

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
10 Thank OldBull95
New York
Reviewed 6 January 2010

I stayed at The Ocean Reef Club for the Nascar finals in November. I traveled with my husband, son and 41/2 year old grandson. We found this resort to be a wonderful experience. I read all of the reviews before we went down and was worried about some of the comments. I did not experience any negative reactions from anyone at the resort. On the contrary, everyone was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the grounds are extremely well kept. The rooms are really spacious and very comfortable----absolutely loved the large tub and tv in the bathroom!! The pools are really nice and you just can't get enough of the magnificent views of the ocean!
Breakfast was included with our group and was a very nice buffet. We were never at the hotel for lunch and at night we chose to eat in Key Largo rather than at the hotel. We decided to rent a car at the resort for about $40 per day (Enterprise) and we ate at some of our favorite restaurants - Hobo's (very casual) and The Fish House (best seafood restaurant in Key Largo).
I would say that the rooms are somewhat pricey, but they are a great splurge. You will feel very spoiled by the surroundings.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank KarenRest
Ventura, ca
Reviewed 13 December 2009

My husband and I went to Ocean Reef club for 5 days! The rooms were absolutely amazing, the king size bed was so comfortable, huge bathroom, refrigerator with water, soda beer, and hard alchol and juice. The maids cleaned the room everyday, and turned down the beds at night!( NIce touch) There are alot of rich owners walking around, or driving golf carts ( I highly reccommend) The grocery store was nice, great shopping, you feel like your in your own private little community. We snorkled and rented kayaks froim the resort, so fun to kayak through the mangroves and through the yaght yards!!! The food was so good too, especially at the Burgee Bar!!! We loveed the high class of it all ( you have to wear collared shirts and no jeans, it made it feel so nice and not trashy!) Any questions, feel free to contact me!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kventura
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 22 November 2009

At first the dress code policy for dining and overabundance of gold carts cruising around the property was a big turnoff to me. After buzzing around (in our own golf cart) for a day and discovering Bucaneer Island - we couldn't have booked a more family friendly vacation. We are actually in a rental condo and the two bedroom layout is perfect for us and our small children. Absolutely loving our time here!

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family