We were looking for something small, modern and right on the water and this worked out fine. There are only a few rooms/free standing "buildings" between this resort and it's sister resort, Bar Harbor Lodge. The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated with bright tropical colors. I liked that each room also had it's own little patio set outside. We stayed in the middle of the grounds, no road noise and just a few quick steps to the water. There are plenty of chairs and lounges around, as well as a small pier and a paddleboat and kayaks that are free to use (we saw tons of horseshoe crabs and rays while kayaking). The location is good, just north of Tavernier- you could walk to the big Shell World store and there is a Dairy Queen a few miles south and many stores, restaurants and Pennekamp Park within a few miles north. Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks are both a quick hop in the car down the road. There is also a small pool which was pretty clean and very warm. The only negative comment I have is that the "beach" was a little disappointing. I know the Keys have few real beaches, but we had just come from staying at the Continental Inn in Key Colony Beach Marathon (highly recommend, see my TA review) and didn't realized how spoiled we had been with their beachfront. No fault to the owner of Coconut Bay, the water was just a bit more "natural" than we like. A soon as you step in the water, there is quite a bit of plant life and some jellyfish/anemone-looking things that are everywhere on the bottom and you can see them opening and closing. They don't sting, but between those, an occasional blue crab, and the dense plants, you really don't know what you're putting your foot on with each step. None of the four of us even considered swimming in the water and we only saw one brave couple attempt a quick snorkel out the whole time we were there. Standing at the end of the pier one day, we did see a large ray. This is supposedly a high manatee area, but unfortunately we never saw one during our four day stay. View of sunsets was nice.
Overall, I would recommend this place if you are looking for clean and quiet and not so interested in a nice swimming beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Coconut Bay Resort, a cozy bay front resort situated on 2.5 acres of lush tropical foliage. Whether you are planning a relaxing get-a-way or an action packed vacation, our amenities and location put the Florida Keys at your fingertips. With just 6 rooms, customer service is never a problem. Bay Harbor Lodge is our sister neighboring hotel with 15 additional rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Coconut Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Bay Hotel Key Largo
- Coconut Bay Resort Key Largo, Florida