“Not a resort!”

Ranked #9 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Commack, New York
“Not a resort!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

As a group of 28 adults we all shared similar gripes about Gilbert's...beds had heavy plastic sloppily hanging between the mattress and box spring, tiny stall showers had missing and broken tiles, furniture in many rooms was actually falling apart, nothing seemed clean. Breakfast took so long to be served after the orders were taken, many among us had to leave without eating. A great band played terrific music all afternoon. Enough beer and food was served for the proprietor to earn sufficient money to improve the hotel. We would not return.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EllenJA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Homestead, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

You gotta love their ginormous Tiki ..
We sat on the water, and it was lovely. The music is always too loud, and it results in guests shouting to hear one another; tone it down!!!
I had their chicken Caesar salad which was mediocre. Portion was very small...like where was the Romaine??

Jenny, our server gets 5 stars. The restaurant/bar was grossly understaffed and it was a busy Friday. Jenny was great, and did a fine job.

Prices are high considering the small portions and tasteless food. We would rather pay more for good food and quiet dining. Ladies restroom was very messy.

• Stayed February 2014
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Nice big Tiki bar. That's it. If you want to drink and listen to music it is great. The food was not good. The BBQ sandwich was so salty and spicy that my husband and I could not finish it without getting indigestion. They charged my friend an extra .57 cents for a little thing of BBQ sauce. He was not happy about that. Would not go back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

Bern, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Nice TIKI-Bar, good food. Great location directly at the channel with free entertainment of a group of dolphins in the evening - right in front of the patio. This resort is a hidden treasure covered by obviously mis-management as otherwise they would have renovated it and made it to a nice resort worth the money.

The rooms were filthy, the matresses covered with PLASTIC sheets (which could no be removed). Firstly we thought it's to protect the matresses but after reading the other reviews, it's more likely to be an alternative to change the old dirty ones into new ones. Sleeping on it was very uncomfortable, especially as the plastic was covered only by a seetrough sheet!

Patios were not cleaned and full with garbage, table outside was falling apart just from looking at it.
A/C loud but barely working. Parking spaces must be shared with bar guests, first come first served.

We would not pay more than 50$ per night for this standard, but due to the cancellation policy we had no other choice than to stay....

Hope they will realize the impact on their business of reviews like on Tripadvisor and get the resort made up soon!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank pfuschi
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We had stayed on a boat at Gilbert's Resort and Marina about 8 years ago, and had asked to look at a room. The rooms were a bit shabby, but seemed to be acceptable. Fast forward to now. We thought we'd take a three night trip to Gilbert's and bring our small boat to use in the keys (there is a boat ramp at the resort) for the weekend. The night before we were to leave, I happened to do a quick check on Tripadvisor and discovered some really hideous reviews. The cancellation policy for Gilbert's is 72 hours before check-in and I was upset with myself for not checking the reviews sooner. I always do check out hotels on Tripadvisor before booking, or at least before the cancellation period expires. I didn't this time, not realizing how long it had been since we'd been there and that a lot can happen in 10 years. I figured that we were going anyways at this point, and maybe our room wouldn't be so bad.

When we arrived, December 26th 2013, they apologized for having only one key for our room (a family room, we were two teens and two adults), and it was a regular key (why couldn't they go to the hardware store and make at least a second copy of the key for guests, cost would only be $1). We went to our room (308) and noticed that there were stains on the ceiling from leaks, the tiles on the counter were broken off on the face, the fridge worked but you could not use one of the shelves because it was too big for the door to close with it in use and the microwave had rust on the outside bottom. The bathroom was clean, but only three bath towels and three washcloths. Not a single hand towel. I went to get a fourth set of towels and some hand towels, and was told that they do not have hand towels. Instead the lady at the desk (not friendly, on the verge of rude) gave me an extra bath towel and washcloth. The beds seemed to be about 6" higher at the head then at the foot, so essentially it was similar to sleeping in a "flat bed" on an airplane that tilts down. One of the bedspreads had tears in it (it was dated and dirty, typical for a dumpy hotel), the sheets were so thin you could literally see through them, and there were not any blankets. We couldn't get the a/c to cool, and had tried the a/c unit itself and the remote that went with the a/c so we called for help. The desk finally said they'd send someone up. A man from the marina office came over and tried to work the remote (they said the remote was the only way to adjust the a/c) and after he couldn't get it to work, took off the back of the remote and discovered that there were not batteries in it. Once he replaced the batteries it worked. At bedtime we discovered that the stain on the ceiling was from and active leak, as one of the pillows and the mattress under it were both wet. We put our older son on the futon (typical inexpensive vinyl one from Target or Walmart, but the nicest piece of furniture in the room) and got some "blankets" from the desk. They gave us four throw blankets that left questions in my mind about how recently they had been washed. I discovered that the box spring on mine and my husbands bed was a good 8-10" narrower than the mattress on top of it. I weigh 105# and I felt the springs in my back. The next day I could not stand up straight, as my back was so sore. I am still feeling the residual of back pain from that bed,after several days of using a heating pad and Advil, and I haven't had back issues before. We checked out right after we had breakfast that morning. They initially tried to charge us a $25 fee for checking out early, but when my husband asked them to waive the fee because of the wet bed and room condition they did.

I just wish that they would get some new box springs and mattresses, fix their roof and get some new linens. The floors in the room were tiled, not filthy and the appliances worked. Although I wonder why they have a sign in the office at check-in that there is a $200 cleaning fee if you cook in your room (why do they have a microwave and fridge if you can't cook in there?!?!). They do not allow smoking in the rooms either (thank God!), and will charge the $200 cleaning fee if you smoke in the room too. Smoking seems a reasonable reason to charge a cleaning fee.

The tiki bar had been re-built, and was very nicely done. We had a drink and an appetizer at the bar before bed. The "Drink of the Day" was a $5 Margarita. The bar tender made a very weak drink, and I was glad that I hadn't ordered it. Stick with the beer. The crab cakes were fine. I was disappointed that the bar tender went over to pet someone's dog ( it is a pet-friendly place), and then came back to the bar and continued to make drinks without bothering to wash or sanitize her hands in any way. The band at the bar was really great, they played a wide variety of rock, and played it all very well. The band and tiki bar itself were really great.

Room Tip: Don't make a reservation here, check out the room and beds carefully before accepting a room to...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank luron
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in nicer barns before.....and the barn was cleaner. The Room was remodeled......in the early 70s. When the 80s hairband started playing at 180 decibels 100 feet from our room we packed up the kids and got the hell out of there!
Enjoy!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank karl b
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

I chose Gilberts because it was affordable (150 dollars) a night. It was very dirty. The floor near the shower was disgusting. The door to the bathroom was dirt caked. The room was hot until you turned on the VERY LOUD air conditioner. The floor was sticky and sandy at the same time. The beds were small and way too soft. It looked to me like someone had gone to a chain store and purchased multi-pieced bedding and curtains to mask the really nastiness of this place. We called the main office to get information about the wireless connection. The call was not answered. We called the main office to get extra pillows, nobody answered. My husband walked up to see if they had any extra pillows and the answer was no. Same for towels for the pool. NO TOWELS for the pool. Oh joy for joys, we did ask for more towels for the room and we did get them but until our identity was confirmed lest we take these towels for oh something like CLEAN PILLOWS!! My husband woke my son and I up at 630 so we could just leave as soon as possible. It was nasty.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family