“Beautiful setting”

Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Pompano Beach
“Beautiful setting”
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Lovely spot, great service from Jeanne & Elias at the bar. Rooms/.beds are comfortable, more bath towels would have been great, but sure they would have delivered if requested. Enjoyed the pool area, little far from Duval, but cabs were reliable. Would return. Jason on our arrival was very helpful and efficient.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank DurbanPompanoBeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 16 January 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights in January, 2010. I would say there are some good things about this hotel and some not so good. Let’s start with check-in. The office staff are very nice and polite, but both of the young ladies we encountered were not able to resolve a fairly major screwup with our reservation. When we went to checkin, it seems that someone had already checked into our room. Interesting. It seems the reservation was all mixed up, even though I made it directly with the hotel (I didn’t use Expedia, etc.). The desk person was very accommodating, and put us in another room. This worked out pretty well, as we were supposed to be in a 2 room cottage and ended up in a 3 bedroom cottage. Eventually we bumped it up to the manager, who resolved it. Actually, she gave us one night free, which was an unexpected bonus – and we didn’t even ask.

So enough with the administration. They try hard, but there is definitely something missing in that category, or at least in their software!

Now for the rooms. We ended up in a 3 bedroom cottage, which I will say are very impressive. Their kitchens are well equipped (dishes, glasses, silverware, etc.), coffeepot, microwave, stove, huge fridge, dishwasher. The bedrooms are very generously sized and the beds (2 queens and one king) were very comfortable. Bathrooms are large and clean. Couple of things though. Water pressure in the showers – definitely lacking, but gets the job done (eventually!). There are flat screen TV’s in every bedroom and the living room. HOWEVER – they do not have high definition service! Regular TV signal on a flat screen is really no better than on a regular TV. You are not in KW to watch TV, but it is still odd. Also, since we were having reservation problems, we had no housekeeping service the first day, but they did come after that. Remember – housekeeping here is “tidy up” – not full service like a regular hotel. Actually, along those line, the floors in the cottages are mostly ceramic tile. But they definitely need to run a mop over them more often. My socks were filthy in no time!

Room location is important here. We were originally SUPPOSED to be in cottage 58, which as it turns out is more toward the middle/inside of the complex. We ended up in a 3 bedroom cottage overlooking the canal. However – this side also overlooks Route 1, right on the other side of the canal. In these cottages, you can definitely hear highway noise throughout the day and night, even with the windows closed. The area where the original room (#58) would have been was much quieter as there is a row of cottages between these rooms and the highway. We feel this is very important as it is a whole different feel when you hear cars whooshing by 24x7 when you are trying to relax.

Some misnomers: The “beach” - there is no beach. There is a long strip of sand about 10 feet wide that runs between some of the units and the canal, but no water access and you certainly don’t swim in the canal anyway. And you actually don’t really want to walk along this strip of sand because you get the feeling you are walking through someone’s backyard. Snorkeling, watercraft, etc. available on site. Yes, they are, but they are outside run concessions that you pay extra for. Also – BE AWARE – they charge a $24 per day “Resort Fee”. This is not a state or local tax, this is charged by the hotel. Can’t figure out what it is for, since snorkeling, etc. is an extra charge item. All the other amenities (gym, pools, etc.) are what you typically get in any upscale hotel and most mid-scale hotels – and all within their quoted rates. This charge is not quoted when you book, but it does show up in the fine print on the comnfirmation email. My feeling is this is really a “bait and switch” on their quoted rates.

The pools look very nice and the area around the pools is quiet (see previous comments – the pools are located on the “inner” part of the complex. Unfortunately, the days we were there, the on-site gym was completely closed for renovations. However, they did make arrangements with a gym nearby, but the on-site aspect was one of the reasons I booked here.

Location. This one s a matter of choice. The hotel is located right next to Home Depot and also shares a parking lot with a 24 hour Walgreens. Neither was an issue for us, but check other reviews to see if noise was an issue, as there are rooms that directly overlook those parking areas. Our rooms overlooking the canal DEFINITELY heard highway noise. Also, the hotel is located directly across Route 1 from a fairly large shopping center that includes a large food store. This came in handy as it was a short walk or quick drive for groceries (we usually ate breakfast in and dinner out). The hotel is also located about 2 miles from Duval Street, which is the center of the action. We had a car and had no trouble finding parking, but I think January is sort of an off season. A cab ride is about $6 per person (yes – they charge by the person, even if they are in the same family). We actually were glad to be far from the rowdiness of Duval, but it seems the end of Duval near the Southernmost Point is much quieter and there are some nice looking hotels there. Also, we drove by the area by the airport and there are several very nice looking hotels/condos along this strip. I think that area would be my first choice next time as it is very close to the only real beach areas on KW and it is quiet. By the way, the beach by the airport road is pretty nice.

Summary – there are some really nice things about the hotel and some things to consider. Would I stay here again? Depends. If I wanted the kitchen, there do not seem to be a lot of other choices. Also, the size of the suites are huge and help make fr a more relaxed vacation as you do not feel in any way cramped. If a “regular hotel” will work for me at the time, I would probably try somewhere else. Also – if you do book here, check their web site even after you book. They often run package deals or special rates. I checked the site a month after I originally booked and when I called the hotel, I was able to cut almost $300 off my total room charge.

5 Thank Irish_in_NY
Oakdale, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 January 2010

When we have previously booked "waterfront" hotels we have been able to walk out and see the water. Resort is waterfront but their is no waterview as it is blocked by mangrove trees. If you went up to the 2nd floor or moved a tree you can see the water.
The room we had with double queen comfortable beds was lovely and you could tell everything was new and it was painted in nice colors. Room was also, clean, with a flat screen TV, free internet. Housekeepers were excellent and polite.
A room safe could not be found which is a pet peeve we have and for resorts in this price range one should be in your room. Or any room, we had one in our $59 room at the airport.
A resort fee is charged per day, it should be just part of rate, there is nothing extra that a resort fee is indicated. Use of the gym and pool is a given at most places in the regular rate. A separate "resort fee" usually indicates extras i.e. such as hot tubs, spa, activity director, separate concierge, restaurants, mini golf course, on site small stores etc.... The concierge is the same person who checks you in and out, who was polite, friendly, very knowledge and gave good advice, but take a seat and wait for people to check in/out to ask questions.
Shelly the bartender by the pool was friendly, knowledgeable and made me want to have her high energy level. She knew the ins/outs of the Keys and the visitor spots. No shuttle service to town. Next time I return to the Keys I would not stay here but book a hotel with shuttle service because parking downtown is $10-$20 everytime you go. So if the hotel is $20 more a day with shuttle to go back/forth a day it is worth it. We had our own car and paid to park.

2 Thank Diane062
Chicago
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Parrot Keys is not only an awsome resort, but also has wonderful staff like Ursula, Melissa and house keepers. Their service is the best. Staff are very courteous and attentive. Its location is convenient to get to and from the airport, close by Walgreen and grocery stores and not too far from a golf course and Key West downtown. We got one 2 bedroom suite, very new unit. It was beautiful, clean and there were a flat screen TV w/DVD player in every room. The free high speed internet was very fast and easy to connect. The first day we checked in a few things missings like towels, iron, hangers etc. However, they arrived at our unit right away after we informed the front desk. There was no refrigerator but it was installed at the end of our trip. It did not bother us. I like everything about the resort except the room rate . It was a little pricey for the room because it was a busy holiday season. I would recommend my friends to stay at Parrot Keys.

Family from Illinois

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Great hotel, wonderful staff: thanks for the recommendations Shawn!
One small suggestion for the hotel: stack a few extra towels.
Tip: if you do a reservation for 4 on the phone, they'll try to push you to get the 3 bedroom cabin. Don't fall for it, the third bedroom on the 3rd floor has a sofa-bed and no balcony. Useless for us. The rest of the cabin was great.
During our stay Key West was very cold, so we did not get to take advantage of the pool or catch any sun, so we'll be returning during summer.
Need a car to visit Downtown KW!! Ask the front desk for parking advice...

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 11 January 2010

First off let me say that the resort is very pretty. The front desk service was a little desirable, but the bar staff was GREAT. The room was great, but lacked what you would think a resort would have in extras. Top line on everything they did have. They did not cut corners on building the rooms. No gym though and we did have to request out room to be cleaned every day we were there. The staff was very friendly though. No room service. But there is a grocery store across the street which we utilized to buy fruit and beverages at. The gardens and pools were great. You felt as if you were in a private island when you were in the resort. I would recommend renting a car if you did not drive there or at the least rent some bikes or scooters to get down to downtown. You can walk if you are up to it. We did that and had the time of our life. Ask for Jennie at the bar she knows alot about the area and is super funny. Sean at the front desk knows of free parking areas which are very hard to find down town. Jesse at the water tours is a native of the keys and he was great a recommending different tours and fun facts of the area.

San Francisco
Reviewed 4 January 2010

This is by far one of the nicest places I have stayed and I have stayed in a lot of top hotels. I loved having a house-type atmosphere with full kitchen, spacious accommodations, and beautiful surroundings. However, they still need to work out some kinks. The service was very poor. I thought I had left my hairdryer and hair straightener at the hotel and spoke to Melissa at the front desk about it - after spending $3,000 there you would think I would get more respect than I did. She was very rude, unprofessional, and could not take the time to check with housekeeping as to whether they located my lost belongings. She really soured the whole experience for me. Also, the staff is generally very lazy - none of the restaurant workers walk around the pools to see if you want drinks or food, even though they do server drinks and food poolside. It is very strange that they don't try and make money this way. The workers just stand around in the cafe and shoot the breeze without doing much work. Also, they are very stingy with pool towels and only keep them near the cafe so you have to walk a far ways from the outer pool to get them. With all that said, I did love the resort and my favorite thing to do was ride bikes into town. I highly recommend renting bikes instead of driving into town or taking a taxi. It is a very enjoyable way to get around Key West.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family