“Island Style Cottage, #2”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Colony Condominiums
Texas
“Island Style Cottage, #2”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

One bedroom, one bath cottage that was perfect for our anniversary getaway! The cottage was decorated in a cute island style, and the kitchen was fully supplied with everything we needed. The bathroom may need some updating - it's the only negative about cottage. We looked forward each afternoon to cooling off in the pool! Excellent location, we will return!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill J

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Finding it was very easy, parking was not. There is very limited parking in their small lot and even less on the street so unless you absolutely need a car don't have one. (We rented bikes and used them all week, awesome.). That being said I was soo looking forward to our cottage #4 but sadly was a little underwhelmed. Firstly, as you walk through the little breezeway a ceiling fan is missing a blade...hmmm...then into the communal pool area and the stone slabs are dirty and there are leaves that have sunk to the bottom of the pool. Past all that and we get to a little pond just before our cottage. The water was murky, they put some cheesy multi coloured pots at it's centre as a water feature which falls pretty flat. Our deck was dirty, just dirty and pretty unappealing, an old plastic chair sat off to the side. The interior looked pretty much the same as the picture which, given the outside was a very welcome relief. HOWEVER, some TLC and elbow grease is very much needed in the kitchen and bathroom. A coat of white paint on the kitchen cabinets would fix up that kitchen, the bathroom is very tired and old looking, it needs a remodel period. Tiles and grout are dirty and the tubs finish is gone plus it doesn't drain. The bedroom is quite nice but the a/c which is probably ancient runs VERY loud, not conducive to a good nights sleep. They have a little back deck but it's not very appealing back there so all we used it for was the BBQ. It became our home over the course of a week but for the money we paid, they need to invest it back into the cottages and grounds.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ElleVancouver11
Cincinnati
Reviewed 20 December 2013

After reading other reviews, I concur about #5 at the Colony. Over the years, we had stayed at several different cottages ending when the place went to Condos. It was always lovely there and the manager was great. We were excited to return when we saw the ability to rent. Spent 10 days in Number 8 - Osprey.
This one must be the smallest of them all. It was not well designed - air conditioner right by my head when never stopped running. Small TV - clothing was kept in the suitcases as there was only 3 very small drawers. It was an efficiency - queen bed, tiny sofa, mini kitchen and refrig. Bathroom had no hooks to hang any clothing and the chain kept getting caught in the commode. The porch floor was just dirty - they swept it but it needed a good scrub.
Worse part was the door was very difficult to open - almost had to call to be rescued until we finally got it open. While there were 3 locks - none worked properly. Finally resorted to using just one with the key which we had to leave in it in case there was a reason to get out in a hurry but even that would have been a problem if it stuck.
We tolerated the time in that room but would not return - too bad -- it was a nice place overall and a great location.

Room Tip: Don't take number 8
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DotCincinnati
Allentown PA
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I went on vacation with my sister for the first time in forever. We stayed in Unit #3 Verde, and we had a friend come in for an evening, so I rented #1 Oceana. The units are owned by different individuals so each is uniquely kept, and decorated.
Unit #3 Verde, needed some "paint, soap and and TLC" although was ample for our needs.(considering I was with my sister). It was a bit small for 2 people but we were on vacation, so we made it work. For a couple it would work fine.
Unit #1 Oceana was larger and brighter with a great private deck just off the pool.It has a full kitchen, with a dishwasher, and their is a gas grille on the deck.My understanding is that the existing owner has sold the units and the new owners are excited about updating these units.
A couple, or family of 4 can easily stay here comfortably.
This is an awesome layout. Its a private compound, with a great pool, with both sun and shade, it offers parking,and a clothes washer and dryer. All the quest I spoke with have been coming for years and said they will be back next year.
One down side is the grounds are communal, and maintained by a property management company, who has obviously not been doing their job. It is not something that will hinder your time there, although with such a "great place" given the right management company this would be a premier location.I have spoken with the management at Key West Vacation rentals who handled my reservation and they said that they are aware of this situation and it has been brought to their attention before and it is a priority that they will be addressing.
I believe that as new owners update the units, and with a active property management co.this place can only get better. I would return here, specifically unit #1.This is a private, quaint, place in an ideal location in Old Town Key West.

Room Tip: Units vary by owner, don't necessarily go by online photos. Ask which one has been updated recen...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank deerjeff
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My daughter and I stayed in the Colony Cabana #5 in June 2011. It was impeccably clean, and decorated in a funky/beach vibe that added to our Key West experience. The pool was an amazing addition to cool off or relax after a day of exploring the island. The kitchen was well stocked with everything that we needed. It was on a quiet street just far enough away from the craziness of Duvall - but close enough to walk or bike to all of the action. We rode our bikes everywhere on the island. The only "issue" was the lack of parking - but we managed. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank robyng78
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The colony cabana unit 5 is great! It exceeded our expectation from the photos from homeaway and the companies website! It is a small two story cottage, making it hard to take perfect photos but it is actually chic and cozy on the inside with lots of space for 2! We have a private patio deck on the back and porch in front! The unit had all cooking (yes a blender) and cleaning supplies. Tue upstairs bedroom also has a balcony! The pool area is small but is there for you if u want to enjoy! Location is great only about 3 blocks from Duval st!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Lumram99
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 2 January 2008

We are just back from a week at this compound over the Christmas holidays. This is a great location with a nice set up of about 8, one bedroom condos around a great pool. There were many positives about our stay. The foliage is lush and beautiful and the whole feeling of the compound was unique. We felt tucked away in a little secret area. It is located at 714 Olivia Street in a great neighborhood about 1 1/2 blocks from Simonton. Everything in Old Town is very walkable but we did appreciate the bikes we rented for getting around during the day.

I do have to say that at first I was disappointed. The pool was not heated as promised. It took until our third day to have it finally warm. The grounds need TLC. Things were a little grubby. There were some owners present during our stay and they quickly jumped into action. The chairs were scrubbed, scummy pond was cleaned out, with the fountain restored. Lots of small changes that made us much more appreciative of this great little spot. One hard working owner installed a rainhead shower next to the pool. How fun. Hopefully the Condo Association will make an effort to keep up the grounds.

We rented through At Home in Key West but our reservation was changed to Key West Rentals. I did ask both if I could bring my dog and was told that the association did not allow it. How sad was I when I arrived to see several renters with their little buddies. That hurt!

Our unit was number 5. It was a cute little two story that could be made incredible. It needs some TLC i.e. paint, patching, deep cleaning and a horrible mosquito infested back pond cleaned out. It was not as I expected. I let the rental office know but am waiting to see if they will do anything.

We would consider staying here again, but I would rent the one next to ours called the Heron. I met the owners and they were very keen about whipping the grounds into shape. There were several other very nice units for rent too.

I only gave the Colony a three rating based on my initial experience. By the time I left, I would have to say it was above average especially if the upkeep of the grounds swings into high gear. I'll look forward to a visit in the future.

2 Thank ChesterGirl