“BEST location, beautiful views!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pier House Resort & Spa

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Key West
kl1203
“BEST location, beautiful views!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

This hotel sits right at the base of Duval street but tucked away in the corner so you do not hear all the Duval street noise. It's close to EVERYTHING- Mallory square, all the fun bars, great restaurants. You can walk to everything and really don't need a car. The room was beautifully decorated and we had a gorgeous view looking out over the harbor and all the anchored boats.
We would stay here again in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: A harbour view room is worth the price. We had happy hour on the balcony every night.
2 Thank kl1203

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Stayed 5/5-10 in a Harbor View room overlooking the beach/lagoon. Everything was fabulous from start to finish. This was our 3rd trip to Key West and the 2nd time we stayed at the Pier House. The hotel location can't be beat, staff was attentive, polite, and would go out of their way to help you with anything. Food at the Harbor View was delicious, and the Lobster Sliders are amazing!
Finally, a bit shout out to JJ at the Chart Room....thanks for the great nightcaps, funny conversation, and just treating everyone like your best friend. He has to be the best bartender in Key West in the coolest bar around.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Dancincpl
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Pier House from Monday 5/14 to Friday 5/18 for our anniversary.

Check-in was a breeze, I had requested a 3rd floor harborview room and we were assigned room 302. Our bags were brought up to the room for us and the room is exactly as pictured on the resort's web page. Nice size room with a comfortable king size bed. A flat screen TV, no HD channels, a small refrigerator, a safe, one sitting chair, a small desk and desk chair. Tile floor throughout the room and bathroom. Several outlets are availble for charging your gadgets. The bathroom has a small flat screen tv also. The shower is very nice, glass enclosed and has real nice tile. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom but there is no cool setting and its very hot, there is also a seperate make-up mirror. The bedroom ceiling fan is controlled by a swich just outside the bathroom but it seemed strange that the higher the number the slower the fan went, I'd though it would be the opposite. The balcony is small, maybe 4 feet wide by 10 feet long. It has two padded chairs and a small round table. The air conditoner drains onto the balcony area.

We spent some time on the beach and found it nice enough that we canceled our plans to visit other beaches in the city. It is raked by hand and kept clean. There is a young man to set-up chairs, tables and towels. They don't have or allow umbrellas which is a negative for me since I burn easily. There is an area that is covered, it was actually directly under our building, and has pavers along the beach so that you can sit in the shade and still see the water but its just not quite the same as sitting on the beach. We didn't spend any time at the pool but it looked very nice and was never crowded.

We only had breakfast at the Dockside Cafe and the service and food was very good and you can't beat the view of the harbor as you're having a meal. We had drinks at the Chart Room bar, its on the small side, there's two tv's for watching sports and they had popcorn and peanuts to munch on as you drink.

The reason I can't give the place a 5 rating is because of a problem we had in the room. We woke up Thursday morning and while my wife started walking towards the bathroom she slipped on water on the tile floor. Luckily she didn't fall or get hurt. The water went from the area of the air condtioner across the floor at the foot of the bed and under the entertainment center. We got dressed and called for maintenance and housekeeping. We advised them we were headed to breakfast. By the time we got back the water was cleaned up and there was a message from maintenance on the phone that they thought the refrigerator door was left ajar which caused it to defrost. Considering the amount of water there would have had to have been a block of ice to have melted and left that amount of water, but I was satisfied with the quick response and that it was cleaned up. We went to the beach and it started raining, we sat under the building on the previously mentioned pavers. I went to the room to get a drink and everything with fine. My wife went back to the room 30 minutes later and found the room flooded worse then before. I had rained pretty hard during this time. We again called for housekeeping and maintenance and they again responded quickly. This time they thought there was a leak around the air conditioner and when it stopped raining they came back and silconed around the edges. It didn't rain again so I don't know if they fixed the problem. Our room was actually below the balcony deck for the 4th floor room so Its possible the water is leaking through that deck and down the inside wall but there's a problem with this room when it rains hard. I was disappointed that no one from management called to offer us a different room or something for the fact that we had to deal with a flooded room twice. I paid with taxes $450-$550 per night and for that money I shouldn't have to be concerned with the room flooding from rain which is why I can't give the resort a 5 star rating.

The location of the resort can't be beat, everything you need to see is in walking distance but yet it is quiet enough to be relaxing. I found every employee to be friendly which is a big plus. The grounds are well maintained and it has a great tropical feel. Housekeeping gives you a slip to pick a time that you want them to clean your room which is a nice feature. It would be better if you could pick a time for each day of your stay as our planned time leaving the room was different each day. They have a computer and printer in the lobby you can use for printing boarding passes for you flight if needed. After check out I asked if there was a hose I could use to spray down my car since the birds had a party on it. They had one of the ground crew meet me and cleaned up the mess on my car.

Despite the problem I had with my room flooding I would still recommend this resort but I'd have to say if you're given room 302, ask for something else, why take the chance.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jerrysnj
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed at the Pier House for 4 days. Loved the location, walked everywhere, didn't need the car at all. Staff was friendly. The room was a good size, perfect for two people. The beach is adequate, beach/pool staff overly attentive. Ate breakfast once in the cafe, perfect. I have already recommended the hotel to family who are planning a trip to Key West.

Room Tip: Our room didn't have a balcony, overlooked the garden/pool.
2 Thank parrots2
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights may 12th to may 16th 2011.. It was our 2nd visit to key west but we stopped at ocean key last time and that was fab.. Anyway upon our arrival we were seen by a less than friendly receptionist who lacked in customer service ! We then checked in to our 'spacious ' lanai rooms ! Couldn't swing a cat and when sat on the pokey balcony got to look at half brick (front of balcony) and tops of palm trees ! So dark and small felt claustrophobic !
The only friendly member of staff was the guy who gave you your beach towels he smiled and actually spoke back to you as if you were human!
Now it states a private beach , it is indeed that , as long as you don't mind squeezing on to it with the rest if the hotel and you hearing everyone's whispering conversations and they hear yours... We drove to fort Zachary more freedom!
I'm sorry if I sound like a miserable person I truly am not its just when I pay alot of money for a holiday I expect to get what I think I am paying for .. If you are thinking if booking here good luck and I hope you get a better break than we did ! We drive on up to Marco island after this and stayed at the Hilton , the rooms were fab , views fab staff brilliant and at a fraction of the price !

• Stayed June 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tinkymoo24
KFountain, Guest Services Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for completing a review. We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to address your concerns. When we last corresponded regarding your issues I concluded that we had resolved them. Please contact me if you require any further assistance. Also, be assured that I have shared your observations with our staff as it is always our intent to exceed the expectations of our guests.

Rob Sheedy
Guest Services Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

We are from Georgia and this was our first trip to key west. We chose the pier house because it looked very nice online but we were amazed when we arrived just how nice and how friendly and willing to help the staff was. There was a younger gentleman named elvis who helped you get a beach chair and towel when youI got to thesee beach -he was so nice and a joy to talk to and very hard working. The food at the restaurants on location were wonderful especially breakfast! We had an awesome trip and will surely be back!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank lrcamp08
KFountain, eMarketing Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
We're glad you chose Pier House for your vacation! Thanks also for the shout out to Elvis, we'll make sure he gets the compliment!
Lithia Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I would give the service higher than 5 stars if I could. I've never seen someone run to open a door for me until I went to Pier House. Everyone we encountered was extremely polite and friendly. Heather (at Front Desk) made us feel welcome each time we came in the door. Food at the restaurants was very good, room was small but nice, location was perfect - at the end of Duval and Front Street. We were at the beginning of everything and next to Mallory Square. Trolleys all start within a couple of blocks, there are restaurants both at the hotel and close to hotel, pool is very nice and warm - even has restaurant/bar service at pool and beach. The only reason I gave 4 stars for value is that everything is so expensive in Key West. If you're planning a trip to Key West, this is the place to stay!

2 Thank RetiredCokeTraveler
Thank you for the compliments and taking the time out to write a review. I will make certain all the kudos are shared with the staff. We're very proud of the way they try and make each and every guest feel welcome and at home.