“Excellent Location”

Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

This was our 5th trip to Key West and our 3rd stay at the Pier House. We returned to the Pier House simply because we love the location and our first two stays were enjoyable. As returning guests, we received welcome gifts both times which was very nice. This year we received two free drinks at the bar. The beach bar has excellent service and the view is wonderful as it looks out over the water. The beach area itself is small, but in my opinion, you don't come to Key West to lay out. The pool was heated and not overcrowded while we were there. So even if you are looking to catch some rays, there is definitely a place to do it at the Pier House. The staff waits on you at the pool so you can stay in your chair and they will deliver drinks and food.

A couple steps out the front door of the hotel, and the livelihood of Duval Street is right there for you. Within minutes, you can walk to the bars, restaurants and the historic seaport. The location is top notch in my opinion if you want to be in the heart of the action. But once inside the pool/beach area of the hotel, you'd never even know the hustle and bustle of Duval existed.

Our only complaint this year was the service at the Harbour View Cafe for breakfast. We ate there twice because it's convenient and it has an awesome view. Both days it took forever to get our food, but I'd still go back because when you take in the view, it really is worth it.

So overall, I highly recommend this hotel and we will return. The staff was extremely friendly and the hotel is well kept and very clean.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Traditional King room- it's affordable and the Lanai room was not available. The...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angie Y
PierHouseManagement, eMarketing Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Hi Angie,
We were happy to have you back for yet another visit. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We will make sure to share your concern regarding the slow service at breakfast with the Food and Beverage Director so that she may address with the staff.
We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Hungarian first
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

I was traveling with some friends and we have booked the Hyatt Hotel next door. After our paid reservation was not honored by Hyatt ( you can see the story in my evaluation of the Hyatt) it was getting late and we were tired so we look across the street and find this Hotel. And they did have rooms for us.
It was a pleasant surprise. I normally will choose a chain hotel but the Pier have is up to the highest standard.
The oceanfront restaurant is ideal for breakfast and for a sunset drink.
The "beach" and the pool are really small but the room was very comfortable.
The location is at the center of the life in Duval Street and the Hotel has a free parking, making it very convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Don't recommend staying here....but is great place for water view lunch.
AC Window unit very loud & noisy. Pillows are hard & bed not great.
Poor construction & very tired hotel in general.
small old pool with no water view.
Very small sandy beach is extension of bar area.
Highly recommend lunch/snack on the water...delicious French onion soup,
Brusetta, and shrimp cocktail. Service is extremely slow.
Hyatt or Westin Marina much better facilities.

Room Tip: First floor garden room next to turtle pond, if you must. Suites are all different & majority a...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Pampered33
PierHouseManagement, eMarketing Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for your review, we were glad to hear that you enjoyed the Beach Bar and Grille. We feel our resort emulates the true attitude and style that is Key West and we were disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Our pool, which is located next to the Beach and nestled within our tropical gardens, underwent a complete renovation in 2012. We will share your concerns regarding the pillows and AC with the Rooms Division Director so that he may investigate.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a surprise birthday weekend for my partner who wanted a resort-like place. I went the Pier House because it has a beach (apparently not common on Key West) and the availability of a spa. I must admit that I was reading some of the negative comments on TripAdvisor and got a bit nervous about my selection. Fortunately, we were pleasantly surprised! We had a Lanai room right over the bar looking out over the gardens, and we could see the ocean out past the pool area. The bar didn't bother us any of the nights we were there, even with the balcony door open. The room is spacious and clean. The shower was very nice. I didn't see any but one or two ants (I was nervous to read about other experiences). Everyone was friendly and accommodating. Having said this, our last evening was interrupted by loud partying guests at the pool and whirlpool up until 3:30 in the morning. We called the front desk who sent out security. Within 2 days, we had communications with the manager who apologized and made things right by us. Even though this happened, we will return to the Pier House when we return to Key West.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

We booked our reservation three months in advance. When we arrived at 3 pm on our check-in day (not a late arrival), I requested a "quiet room." After much conferring with the receptionist, we were given a room directly across from the ice maker, and located next door to the control room with some HUGE loud motor in it. The motor took up over half of our patio space, so you would never sit out there. In addition, when the mysterious motor came on, it sounded like a jet engine in our room. We returned to the front desk, and asked for ANY other room. Didn't care about the view, the location, anything. We just really need a quiet room. I was told that for an additional $140 per night, we could have a quiet room, but not at my standard rate of $339 per night. I was also told that I should have made a special request at the time of my reservation, if I wanted a quiet room. So keep that in mind. Apparently you need to request something as unique and crazy as a quiet room.
We were with 5 other couples. Three of our group got upgraded -- with no additional charge -- to ocean view rooms.

The rooms are attractive, and the beds are very comfortable. The bathrooms are fine, except there is no bathtub, and I did not enjoy the 2-inch long centipede crawling on our shower wall.

So what's good about this place? Location location location. Great for Duval street. Also, it has a lovely, if tiny, beach, which is hard to find on key west. They beach has a terrific restaurant and bar. The servers at the pool and beach are terrific.

I'd stay again because of the location and the beach. I would just make a "special" request for a quiet room, and for no centipedes in the shower. I'm not sure whether that part requires a special request.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LGP6868
PierHouseManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Thank you for the review we value your feedback as an opportunity to continually identify issues and improve our service. We are glad you enjoyed our beach and pool area and that you found our staff to be amiable We will share your compliments with the servers. However we are disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apology. Be assured that your comments have been addressed to ensure a future occurrence doesn't happen.
Morristown, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

So this place is not bad or anything, I guess I just thought it would be nicer with a resort name & hefty price tag. I will share that we came at a busy time without a reservation & were just grateful to have a room...but it was quite over priced for what it was. It was clean, the interior of the rooms were unique, furnishings nice, and staff friendly. I just thought I was walking into a Travel Lodge style hotel when we first walked into the building to get to our room. A remodel in the common areas would really be a huge improvement here.
Our favorite part was the location to head out on Duval to party. It was really convenient to get to & from. We also really liked the balcony- it had nice furniture on it & was relaxing. There was no privacy from your neighbors though. Just a few updates would make this place even better & live up to its resort name. I remember commenting that my computer monitor was bigger than the TV in the room. With that said, we never turned it on...guess you don't go to Key West to watch TV. :)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

This is a great resort. Located at the Mallory Square end of Duvall -- close to the action. This was our eighth or ninth trip to the Pier House and won't be our last. Small beach, nice pool, great location.

Room Tip: We had a water view -- more expensive, but, nice. Some of the other rooms had bad views. We have sta...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple