“Close but no cigar.....”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Ottawa, Canada
“Close but no cigar.....”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Pier House has one of the best locations in Key West; it’s close to Mallory Square, within walking distance to some darn good restaurants and the heart of Old Town. The grounds are spectacular; well maintained and it is one of the few hotels/resorts that can boast they are beachfront. The rooms are spacious and well appointed.

What they don't have are attentive staff, a good restaurant or consistent service (with the exception of the Russian beach attendant who had been there since July 2013 - he was easily the hardest working staff member by far).

We arrived at the hotel on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at approximately 6:00 pm; our taxi was promptly greeted by a bellman that took care of our bags and escorted us to the lobby for check-in. This is where the misadventure began; there was no front desk attendant. The bellman tried for approximately 15 to 20 minutes to locate a clerk to no avail (perhaps they were watching the amazing Key West sunset?).

When the clerk finally arrived around 6:25 pm he made no apologies and proceeded to check us into our room. When I asked if there were any available room upgrades he seemed irritated and quickly responded no. The bellman escorted us to our room: a second story lanai suite (with a nice view of the parking lot). The room was spacious and well appointed with a large modern bathroom, flat screen television and complimentary wifi.

After unpacking we decided to have dinner at the Harborview Café. The restaurant is in a great location within the resort and offers views of the beach and waterfront. Upon entering the restaurant we noted only two other tables of diners which we thought was odd because it was our understanding that the resort was pretty much at capacity – that was until we ate there. Lets just say its not one of the finer dining establishments in Key West; it has the potential to be but simply falls flat.

The following day we ventured out on the town and had great day. We returned to the resort mid afternoon for a bit of relaxation on the beach. The beach is by far the biggest reason to stay at the Pier House; if it were not for the beach this would be a three star resort at best (simply due to the lackluster service). Another good reason to stay at the Pier House is the live music at the Beach Bar and Grill – that is when they show up!! But when they do, it is one of the best places to kick back, enjoy the views, listen to some great live music and enjoy an ice-cold beer.

I don’t want to beat up on the Pier House but another strike was the fact that our toilet had issues flushing (noted the day we checked in). We contacted the front desk and while we were out for the day they sent maintenance to the room. We know this because they left black footprints on the bathroom floor and several black marks within the toilet. This is not really a surprise though as I do not believe the floors in our room were swept or mopped during the duration of our four-night stay. On a positive note, the toilet did work properly after their visit.

Another disappointment was our request for a late checkout which we requested when we checked-in. At that time we were told we would have to make the request the morning of our scheduled checkout (not sure why they could not have noted our request on our guest file). The standard checkout is 11:00 am and when we requested a late checkout the morning of checkout we were told we would be given until noon to vacate the room. They did however store our bags for us until our afternoon departure back to the frozen north.

Last but not least, when we checked out and received our final guest check it included four days of parking at cost over $100! The issue is not the cost, it’s the fact that we did not have a car! When I checked-in I was asked if I had a vehicle and informed the front desk clerk that I did not. I am not sure if this is a tactic that Pier House uses to generate additional revenue or if this was the result of the sloppy paperwork when we checked-in. When I challenged the charge with the front desk clerk they did remove the charge promptly but I sure am glad I reviewed the check line by line.

Bottom line is would I stay there again? Yes; the location and the beach are just too darned good to pass on. The biggest issue and disappointment for me is that the Pier House has the ability to be one of the best hotels in Key West (if not the best), but unfortunately falls far from the target due to lackluster staff. I should mention however there are definitely a few shining stars that, for the most part, are eastern European and associated with the beach and bar. Kudos to the bellman as well, he was also top notch (again an eastern European).

Room Tip: If you book a Lanai Room ensure it is not one of the few that overlook the parking lot. Its tough to...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Robert H
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you Robert H for taking the time to fill out a survey and was surprised to hear that my staff fell short of your expectations. I was hoping that we could connect and discuss your stay furhter and I look further to your next visit.

Joe Dantoni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Hungarian first
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We were given a room (first floor) over looking the gardens...no water view. We couldn't leave our Arcadia door open because clients could see in...The weather was perfect and it would have been nicer to have a room overlooking the water or at least on the second floor (receptionist said that they were fully booked). The concierge was very helpful and we rented bikes near by (with his assistance) two people for $20 for 4 hours. We enjoyed riding around the town of Key West...

Room Tip: This is a good location if you want to walk or bike around the town...very convenient.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goodtravel T
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad you enjoyed your time at the resort. On your next visit please try our website as you can find the best available rates there. Also, you can view the different room type options available on the water. I hope to see you soon and thank you for the survey.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 February 2014

the pier house was a great experience. There was ample dining on the resort and they even cooked any fish that you caught from fishing excursions. It's location is super convenient to the restaurant/bar district and rental of an electric card helps getting around out even more. I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. On your next visit please try booking a spa treatment as we have the only full service spa on the island. Our spa is rated #12 by Conde Naste has many seasoned therapist. I look forward to your next visit.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Pier House at the end of January- I can't say enough good things about our stay. Very clean, very nice rooms, very nice staff! Even though its very close to Duval and all the action there, its quiet once you return back to Pier House. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We overlooked the gardens and it was very pretty.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your nice comments and I will share them with the team. I hope you were able to try our restaurant, Harbour View Cafe, as it has a great menu variety. I look forward to see you soon at the Pier House Resort and Spa.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed here four four nights last week and it was amazing!I had a corner suite that overlooked one of my favorite places-- the rum barrel! My room was huge had a sitting area with a very comfy king size bed. I am OCD clean- and my room was spotless. Housekeeper was very friendly and did a great job too. The rain shower was heavenly and super hot! I ordered room service a lot and the waiters were so kind. Highly recc the fruit platter for breakfast or lunch it was yummy. The best part was the beach. They had the nicest guys that brought your chairs out and set you up . They also were very through in making sure you were a registered guest-- which I appreciated because it kept strangers off the beach. Kind waitresses brought drinks , the view was amazing. I will tell everyone that when going to kW-- this is the place you want to be. Worth every penny- you get what you pay for in life- and this place was worth every cent. Props to the management on running a truly great resort!

Room Tip: Get a corner suite!! 623 was the best!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you Mer L for your comments and for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa. I am glad that we met all of your expectations and I look forward to seeing you soon. On your next visit, please try our famous Chart Room Bar located off the lobby.

Big Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Spend 3 wonderful days and didn't want to leave! This is a wonderful place to stay. The amenities were excellent along with the service and staff. This was my 3rd year in a row and have already booked for next year.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you Toni W for your business and for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the resort. On your next visit, I hope you stay on the beach a little longer as we have great musicians playing on the beach from noon until 7pm. I will see you soon.

Eldorado, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed February 1st through the 7th in a Dockside Suite and will not return to this hotel. The rooms were filthy and foul smelling. Before arriving I had received an e-mail asking if we had any special requests. I responded that we would like extra hangers and coffee. Upon arriveal, I reminded the desk clerk and she said that yes she could see our request. None were delivered to our room that night. The next morning I called down and asked again for the hangers so that we could unpack and they did finally deliver them. On our anniversary my husband wanted to surprise me with Champaign and Chocolate covered strawberries. He went and spoke with Tony and asked that they be delivered to our room while we were away on a Sunset sail. Upon returning he was dissappointed to find his surprise not in our room. He went again to talk to Tony who said he never talked to him! Really? They tried to make it up to us but it was going to take about 30 minutes or more to receive them. We opted to pass on that offer and went to town. The next day I received a call from the food services manager offering a free breakfast or lunch for their mistake. She said just order and charge it to your room and we will takc care of it. Upon checkout, we found the charge still on our bill and had to ask for that to be removed. Overall, a very poor first impression of the Pier House.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 805 Docksice 1 bedroom suite. The balconies are all glass and offer no privacy at...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank clroberts
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I want to apologize for the service shortcomings you experienced during your visit. Please call me directly as I would like to speak to you further about your stay. I look forward to speaking to you so that I can win you back as a Pier House preferred guest.