“Location, location, location”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Pier House Hotel is expensive but considering the location and the amenities I feel it is worth the price. We stayed here in mid-March during the middle of spring break. It is located at the very end of Duval St. so you are within easy walking distance of all the shops and restaurants but still far enough away so you don't get any of the noise. They also have full time security around the premises. You are also close to two of the main harbors for easy access to most of the water activities.
We ate at two of the hotel restaurants and the food was very good. We had a nice size room with a full ocean view, a nice balcony and a small refrigerator. Their private beach is very small but the protected swimming area is large with swim up platform. They also have a nice pool. We didn't take advantage of the spa.
Besides the location the best thing about this hotel is the service. From the front desk to the beach attendant and wait staff, everyone went out of their way to make sure you had a great time. The concierge, I believe his name was Todd, was very helpful in arranging tours and suggesting activities in accordance with the weather which happened to be very windy. The check-out time is 11:00 and our flight didn't leave until 7:00, so Todd suggested we enjoy the pool and beach and use the showers in the spa prior to leaving for the airport.
Overall, I can't think of anything negative about this place. We had a great time and would definitely return.

Room Tip: People are allowed to walk in front of the rooms near the beach. If you stay in an ocean view room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad you enjoyed your visit. As you mentioned our location is one of the best in Key West and my team prides itself on customer service as we are rated within the top 25% for customer service for Independent Hotels. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Superb location right next to Mallory Square with its nightly sunset spectacular. We had a garden room with a small veranda which was fine. If we go again we will request a room with a balcony as we felt slightly self conscious sunbathing next to one of the paths to the beach and bar. The beach was great with excellent service from both the attendant and the adjacent bar staff. The restaurant was very good with a a modest selection of food to be enjoyed either on the deck or inside.

Room Tip: Bay view suites are the best but $$$$$
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience and I am glad that we met your expectations. It looks like you took advantage of most of the amenities of the resort and please visit our spa on your next booking at the Pier House.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here from 3/14/14 to 3/19/14. After reading some of the reviews of the Pier House we were a bit hesitant to stay here. We are not sure where the negativity comes from as everything about the resort was perfect and what we were looking for. From check in to meals, service,room and staff, all the staff deserves a pat on the back. Yes, the resort is expensive but well worth the money.

2  Thank Bossman3104
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad that we met all of your expectations. As you know this is peak season but please visit our website as we will always have the best available rate and you will also find our specials there. Thanks again and I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We checked in Saturday, March 15th, 2014 and checked out Tuesday, March 18th, 2014 for my husband's birthday weekend. He wanted to stay at the Pier House for his present, and the reviews were good, so I set it up. The location of the Pier House for the north end of Duval is terrific. You can get to any attraction at this end of town fairly easily and accessing the sunset cruises is quick and easy. However, the room was not such a wonderful experience. We paid $550 per night and although I understand it was the height of the season, we got a room in the spa building/conference center that is at the back of the property, as far from the hotel waterfront as possible, with a view of a street. The building smelled of "spa" (combination of sweat pants and carpet cleaner), with a ratty carpet in the public venue and the worst factor was the French doors in our room (that were the windows) were nailed shut. We could have been in a room in Cleveland in a high-rise Hyatt for all the ambiance we experienced. Now, I understand that not everyone cares about tropical breezes blowing through their room or sitting on a patio, but I would have loved to have at least opened the windows of my room at this wonderful time of year in Key West. I talked with the front desk several times but it was all "too bad" which was the sentiment I got from the front desk staff when I checked out. Next time I'll pick the Ocean Key, the Westin or the Hyatt, all with the same location and, at $500 a night, hopefully with windows that open and no interior smells.

Room Tip: Avoid the spa building
3  Thank Eve S
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Pier House. I was a little surprised by your comments about the spa and would like to discuss them. Many of our guest request the spa due to its tranquil atmosphere and soothing music. Please call me directly as I would like to discuss your stay further. I look forward to your call.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I was upgraded to a spa suite, a bit much since I was travelling alone but WOW what a room!
The service in the hotel is great! The room was very clean and HUGE!
Never had a waterfall shower before but it was very cool.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Philip H

Thank you for staying at the Pier House and I am glad that you enjoyed our rainforest shower heads. These are in all of our guest rooms. I look forward to seeing you soon,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed in a large room with 2 king beds and sofa bed. Our family could stay in 1 room vs 2. Amazing view!! Bathrooms are small. Room was clean when we arrived. Housekeeping during our visit was poor. Trash cans were not emptied, no fresh glasses. Room also had ants. Hotel was very responsive to my every request but felt I was constantly calling, TV broken, AC broke, needed towels, etc. Liked central location. Easy to walk everywhere. Was not impressed with Concierge. He was not helpful and very disorganized. We also had breakfast at the hotel 1 morning. While food was good, service was terrible. We did not go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the housekeeping and concierge issues that you encountered during your stay. I will meet with the manager to go over your points to ensure that these issues are corrected. I thank you for your business and I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We only were able to stay at the Pier House for 2 nights. I would have loved a room with a view but at a price of nearly $300 more per night I figured we wouldn't be in the room for long anyways. The price we paid was fair for the time of year we were there and the location of the hotel.

The hotel is in the perfect spot on the corner at the end of the island close to Duval St. and close to the Piers which was great for us.

I also used the concierge on the day we were there and found him very friendly but I was a bit upset because I booked 2 different things from him. One being a jet skiing "tour" around the island because we wanted to jet ski and the other being an all day adventure which he did not mention included jet skiing and I can't say if he did or didn't know that but it could have saved me a lot of money for which I would have been able to enjoy the spa at the hotel that I didn't end up having time to do. Although the staff did say that even though we were checking out we could use the spa showers after our day trip out to the ocean to shower before we left which we did not end up doing because we really wanted to get on the road but I thought it was a very complimentary gesture.

As far as the hotel, we were very happy with the cleanliness of our room but we had a balcony that overlooked the parking lot that was blocked by over grown trees and plants which I didn't love. I would think the hotel would have those trimmed back a bit so you could at least be able to look out into the sunshine. The other thing I didn't "love" was that the "beach" was not for walking at all, mostly just for sitting and tanning because the sea grass that comes into shore apparently does not get cleaned out from the walk in area at all so it makes it look less than appealing for swimming.

The room also did not have a bathtub which I wish would have been told to me only because I have issues with my legs and find it very hard to stand to take a shower. Even a seat in the shower would have helped. The other thing with this was that after swimming for the day the floor in the room is VERY SLIPPERY and I fell very hard onto a slate floor so a non slip mat or something to that affect might be beneficial to the safety of your guests coming in from enjoying water sports.

We also ordered room service which was good and quick and we ordered late too so I was very happy we were even able to get something as most places will not take orders late except for sandwiches etc. The only "complaint" about this was that it clearly states that delivery charge and gratuity are included in the final bill but when the gentleman brought the bill it still had a space for gratuity. A 20% gratuity is sufficient I believe and although the occasional person may want to tip additional I think the space should say "additional" as to not try to "trick" guests that don't read the fine print.

Room Tip: I agree that if you don't mind not having a view the rooms in the building with the spa looked A...
1  Thank Chasindixi

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review and I appreciate some of your feedback. I will be discussing some of these with the managers and staff. I look forward to your next visit at the Pier House.