“VERY NICE ROOM AND GROUNDS”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Key West
“VERY NICE ROOM AND GROUNDS”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

The location is one of the best on the island. On Duval, a block away from the start of the action (Hogs Breath, Sloppy Joe's...) and about two blocks from the bight, which is the harbor area with many restaurants and bars that are all a good time with GREAT sea food and a somewhat quiter but still fun atmosphere. Alonzos and Half Shell are great for happy hours, Alonzos being a bit more formal, but still casual and Half Shell defiantly being casual only.

stayed in a Spa Suite, room 608. It was extremely spacious and very well appointed. It had three sets of French doors, one facing an ocean/harbor view with boats of all sizes, peacefully and quietly passing by. If you looking straight down, the view is not as pleasant as it was a service shed of some sort, but it did not affect my relaxing view of the sea. The other two French Doors opened overlooking a....well Key West view of a quite side street and a resort next door, with plenty of tropical plantings to still give you that island feel. Some of the other spa suites could not have had the same views I was fortunate enough to have as room 608 is ocean facing end unit.

I did not have much interaction with the staff, but when I did they were very friendly. The beach and pool areas are well appointed and attended by very a attentative staff supplying lounge chairs and towels on the beach, and cold drinks with a smile at the pool. I do wish they had a musician playing/singing with an acoustic guitar instead of piano at the beach/pool bar, it just seemed odd for beach music in the day time, at sunset or night time Ok, just odd in morning and afternoon.

Check in was a breeze, with a courtesy phone call shortly after check-in in my room to ensure satisfaction.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Many of our guest do enjoy music on the beack. We do try and mix it up as we do have many musicians who play the guitar as well. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Joe Dantoni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Hungarian first
california,usa
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Awesome resort, worth every $! You will not find cleaner & better beach on the island that belongs to guests! Location is perfect, close to Mallory Square is a must be between 7-9pm! Close to Duval action and at the same time quiet -you could hear dolphins play in the ocean and crickets! Front desk amazing, Anet thank you for welcoming us! Dimitry on the beach is awesome! Live music is a big bonus!! The beach room with sunset balcony was the cherry on the top!!! Would highly recommend and will be back :)

Room Tip: Ask for balcony and beach view- it makes huge difference
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad we meet your expectations. On your next vist, please visit our spa as we have the only full service spa in Key West with some of the best therapist on the island. See you soon.

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Hopped down with friends from Tallahassee who had never been to Key West. Stayed in a two bedroom suite, both lavishly appointed with two balconies, king beds and large baths, plus a sunset view! Absolutely delightful! We brought our own wine and cheese and the restaurant did not hesitate to give us plates, napkins, cutlery and wine glasses for our balcony picnic. All in all, a wonderful experience. Pier House will be our go to hotel whenever we are in Key West.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for making the Pier House your preferred resort in Key West. I am glad thay we were able to make your first visit to Key West memorable and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Cant say enough good things. First - location / location / location! Walking distance to everything you really want to see/do. Staff is friendly. The small beach area is clean and nice. Bar/Veranda has live acoustic music during te day that is really nice to listen to while swimming or lounging on the sandy beach. THE place to stay. It will be my headquarters from now on when I go to Key West.

Room Tip: Chose a room facing the beach with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to reply on Trip Advisor and I am glad that the Pier House Resort and Spa is your new home away from home. On your next visit, please do not forget to visit our bar, The Chart Room. It is an iconic bar in Key West where the Pier House was actually built around the bar. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights here with a friend. Selected a regular room which was very comfy and quiet . The bed was great and the shower had great water pressure.

Beach was great. The beach guys were pretty good about checking room keys so I did not notice intruders. They were lovely and set us up each day with fantastic Frontgate loungers and towels. David provided great service remembering not only our drinks but room number from one day to the next. The beach bar featured several musicians who entertained us while we relaxed. The water was clean and beautiful . There was a small topless section but everyone in that area appeared to be fully clothed.

Location is prime right at the end of Duval with access to Mallory Square and the CVS. Little bar ( Chart Room) is super cute and has great popcorn and peanuts at the end of the night.

My only complaint was that no one called my cell when my room was ready at check in. I had to go to Front Desk at 4 to see if my room was ready.

This little blemish did not affect my overall 5 star rating of this property . We are looking forward to making our trip to the Pier House an annual event.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ortho3311
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad we met your expectations. i do apologize that the desk forgot to call you when your room was ready, they are usually very good about this. We continue to make improvements to the property and I am happy you were able to experience some of our new amenities. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Montana
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I can't say enough about the Pier House. This was our first trip to Key West May 25-30, 2014. Although I did a lot of online research, we couldn't have picked a better location in Key West to stay. We were across the street from a CVS to stock up on beverages (room has a mini fridge), beach towels, snacks, or whatever. We were a 3 minute walk to Mallory Square for the sunset every night. One block away from the beginning of all the action on Duval Street. We had a standard room which was great because it was located in the interior of the resort, thus, no noise from Duval Street. The beds, wow! I wish I could have taken the bed and pillows home with us. I haven't slept that good in ages. Service from the staff was outstanding and were more than willing to help out with any question or problem we may have had. We are from Montana so any ocean view is great to us and we experienced that by eating breakfast at One Duval at waterfront in the resort. Staying at this place, we had no need for a car rental and other than the trolley we took the first day as a tour of the town, we only needed a cab to and from the airport. We were very happy with the Pier House.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior of the resort are very quiet at night.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that the Pier House made your stay a memorable one. I encourage all of our guest to visit our website as you will find that best available rate for any period of time there. Our in house reservationist are ready to answer any questions that you may have. And yes, the reservations team is located at the Pier House. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Connecticut
Reviewed 7 June 2014

For those of you researching and trying to determine where to stay for your trip to Key West, STOP looking and BOOK the Pier House! We just returned from our 7th stay at this hotel and as usual it was fabulous!

- Location, Location, Location
The Pier House is located in the heart of old town on the side of Duval where everything happens. It is tucked away though so when you want to get away from the action, it’s a little retreat from it all. You can easily walk to anything and everything you want to see.

- Beach
The Pier House has a small but perfect beach. It’s a great place to spend the day lounging in the sun and playing in the water. You can easily snorkel from the beach and there are many fish to see.

- Tropical Feel
The grounds are lush and rich in trees and tropical plants. When on the property you do not even realize Duval is a few steps away.

- View of the Sunset
Truly the best place to watch the sunset from the beach or from the pier without swarms of people.

The new management of the property is making small improvements. They have all new beach chairs and took down the beach desk to provide additional sandy beach space. While we were there we watched them install a larger awning over the restaurant too. We hope that the new management will develop the pier area for guests only. Make it where we could order drinks and enjoy the view during sunset time! Just a suggestion..

1 thing we were disappointed with is that in the past, we were able to pull a couple of chairs onto the beach in the evening to sit and watch the sunset or even better late at night we’d pull a couple chairs over to the waters’ edge to sit and relax and listen to the ocean sounds before bed. It’s not so easy to do this now and it took a bit away from the enjoyment of the property for us. It’s something we really enjoyed doing.

Also, it’s unfortunate but with Simonton Beach next door gaining popularity due to the new little Lagerhead’s restaurant, we watched people every day swim from Simonton Beach to the float in the Pier House Beach water. I know the ocean is the ocean and I’m not sure how Pier House can control it but every day non-guests took over the float for a few hours. Perhaps new signs can be posted on the buoys between Pier House and Simonton? Not sure but this was disappointing for us too when we wanted to use the float and were unable to do so due to “invaders”. LOL

We also saw many non-guests try to use the beach… some successful and others not. I think Pier House should come up with a beach pass or something that must be shown each day for beach/pool use.

Most times, the beach guys were really on it and turned cruise passengers and other non-guests away but it isn’t 100% fool proof. We watched a group of 4 people enjoy the beach for 2 days. We assumed they were guests as well. The 3rd day, the opposite beach guy caught on and refused them. We couldn’t believe they weren’t guests since they were there with us the first couple days. These 4 were so upset and we heard them say they would sneak back later. (Hey .. who could blame them.. I mean it is a fabulous place! But… )

Anyway, I do not fault the beach guys they work so hard. It’s just too much for them. I think there needs to be a pass or something created to take this burden from them.

I want to take a moment to acknowledge the 2 beach employees who are just awesome: Dima & Erwin

These 2 work so hard to ensure you are having a good time on your vacation. They are generally friendly, nice people and truly make a difference. I hope management will acknowledge them for the good work they do.

Overall, it was another fabulous stay at Pier House and we definitely plan to return.

Room Tip: The Harbor View Ocean Front rooms are by far the best. If you can't get one of those stay in th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sunryz710
Thank you for your loyalty and I am glad that the Pier House is your preferred resort in Key West. THank you for your feedback and I was not aware of the next door beach guest swimming to our pier. I will take care of this and we always try to monitor the beach. It can become challenging but I think we do a pretty good job. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.