“Justifies its number 1 rating”
Review of Marquesa Hotel

Marquesa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Justifies its number 1 rating”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Marquesa for 3 wonderful nights in early May. I booked the hotel partly because it was the number one rated hotel in Key West on trip advisor. Well......... It completely, in my view justifies that position.
The hotel is comprised of a number of wooden buildings that are situated around two swimming pools. We had a room on the ground floor, which I found to be adequately spacious. The room had a large double bed, a large plasma TV, a mini fridge and a bathroom with bath and shower. There is a small terrace that is shared with the neighbouring room. This was not a problem at all and was still very private. The management and staff were so welcoming and friendly, that albeit we were foreigners from the UK, we were made to feel like we were at home. That is in essence what I think the Marquesa tries and in my opinion achieves. That feeling of homeliness, which just makes you feel so relaxed and welcome. I didn't request many services whilst I was there, but the impression I got was that nothing would have been too much trouble.
In addition the hotel in my view is fantastically situated. It is only 1 minutes walk to Duval Street where there are numerous bars and restaurants and all the madness that Key West holds. However that short distance means that the grounds and rooms of the hotel remain peaceful and quiet.
I would also strongly recommend the hotel restaurant Cafe Marquesa, which provided us with, by quite some margin the best meal we had during our holiday in Florida.
If you are visiting Key West, I can't recommend this hotel enough and we would without doubt stay there again.

Room Tip: I actually think hey are all good.
5 Thank Darrendazler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2013

When we arrived a rude guest was polluting the pool area by smoking a smelly cigar. Obviously all cigars are obnoxious and smelly, but because the pool area is enclosed none of the smell could escape. We complained as did another guest and cigars were prohibited in the pool area before our departure.
Service here is just outstanding.

Room Tip: I doubt they have any bad rooms. We did like our mini-suite.
1 Thank JerIG G
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We arrived at the Marquesa for our wedding anniversary. The staff was wonderful. We were greeted warmly and treated to a complimentary glass of wine upon our arrival. The facilities were excellent, the rooms were spacious, comfortable and offiered a private getaway from the more noisy Duval St. Poolside we had towels available as well as iced tea and ice water. The service was simply outstanding. From the Housekeeping Staff to the Hotel Management I have never been happier with a hotel stay. I look forward to returning in the future to enjoy their hospitality and hotel again. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is wanting a stay that they will remember for a long long time.

Room Tip: from what I could tell any of the roosm would be a great choice.
2 Thank SCSTEVERS
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Key West. We had booked five nights at the Marquesa Hotel based on other online reviews, and our price range. We wanted a nice relaxing room that was close to the action of Duval Street, but far enough away that we could relax after 10 long months of planning a wedding. We found just what we were looking for at the Marquesa. The staff was outstanding! From restaurant recommendations, helping us book some last minute excursions, or providing a coupon for a few dollars off of a scooter rental; there was nothing, it seemed, they wouldn't do for us. The room was clean, comfortable, and felt like we were staying in a bed and breakfast. The layout of the property makes you feel like your a guest in someone's home, not in a hotel. The pool area was cozy and always had fresh coffee in the morning, and water and iced tea in the afternoon to keep you refreshed, or awake, while enjoying one of their two pools. Overall, we had a fantastic time, and if would certainly recommend the Marquesa to friends. It may not be the perfect spot for other honeymooning couples as my wife and I seemed to be the youngest guests there that week (early 30's) but having the pool area to ourselves after dark was certainly worth it!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kevinspocket
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stayed at the Marquesa in March 2013 and found the location ideal for visiting the Old Town.
We had the standard room (no balcony) which was good but did not include breakfast and therefore we found the rate charged was a bit expensive (that being our only gripe).
The grounds were well cared for and coffee facilities were offered by the pool.
We did not use the pool or the restaurant as we were only staying for 2 days. There are lots of eateries and bars within walking distance.
We recommend a visit to the Butterfly and Nature Conservation Centre, the Old Town Trolley tours (not the train - It includes 2 days hop on, hop off tour of the key), a taste of the conch fritters (best ones we had from the food trailer near the Trolley Tours), a visit to Truman's Little White House, Hemingway Home and the spectacular and obligatory visit to Mallory Square at Sunset, the most beautiful sunset you will ever see in your life!!
Wish we had longer at Key West to explore it a bit more as we loved the atmosphere but maybe another time...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LMFFG
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

Thought this would be geared towards the older set, which it is popular with for sure, but the Marquesa excels at the subtle touches that make it best in class. Would do well in a place like South Beach, LA, etc. Solid across the board. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed 24 April 2013

great room great service great location
did I mention this was a great place?

we ended up in the last room available for the dates so we didn't have a poolside porch but it was almost perfect
no need to rent a car in Key West - and if you want bikes the guys at the front desk can hook you up

refreshing cool tea in the courtyard in the afternoons - pools set amongst lush greenery - an oasis

I just hope I remember the room numbers of some of the other suites b/c we definitely want to stay here again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple