“An oasis of tranquility in the middle of Key West”
Review of Marquesa Hotel

Marquesa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Key West
New York City, New York
“An oasis of tranquility in the middle of Key West”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Marquesa Hotel at the very start of our honeymoon. While I was a little surprised that no congratulatory upgrade was offered, I must nevertheless add our names to the list of those who found it to be a splendid little find. It's very close to the action of Duvall St., yet removed enough to a quiet refuge, and I do mean quiet. While the drunken revelers may be a few steps away, there is a quiet understated elegance at the Marquesa. You really do feel like you've escaped into an oasis of tranquility.

We had a basic room, which indeed was basic, but perfectly fine as it had character and a nice feel to it. I do think however, that the basic rooms are rather pricey for what you get, but I guess the location dictates the price. If we were to return, I would opt for one of the higher category rooms, as they may actually represent a better value. As others have noted the grounds are quite nice, and the two small pools are nice areas to lounge around. The smaller heated pool had lots of leaves and such in it when we were there, and didn't look very inviting, but I think it's kind of tough to keep it clean during the Fall (or rather what ever Fall there is in Key West).

My wife and I are very blessed in that we travel a lot for pleasure, and it's a breath of fresh air to sometimes not stay at a mega hotel chain with the usual antiseptic environment. This place is all together different. The Marquesa is like a quaint New England inn found in Vermont or Maine; that kind of feel. The hotel also seems to attract a nice set of people. I'd say 'more mature', but not in terms of age, but more so in manner. You won't hear drunks making noise in the hallways at 3 in the morning or people doing shots in the lobby; nothing like that. It strikes me as being more upscale with guest being considerate of each other. In fact when you are moving about the halls and stairs of the hotel you feel compelled to keep your voices down as to not disturb anyone.
There is parking at the hotel, which makes it so easy, as street parking is not always easy in tiny Key West.

One of the few downsides is that the hotel does not have an elevator, which, in this instance, was a pain for us, as we had a lot of luggage (we were on an extended six week honeymoon and had a ton of scuba diving and pro photography equipment in addition to clothes ranging from arctic to tropical environments). If you're traveling with the normal amount of luggage, however, it shouldn't be a problem. We did not dine at the highly acclaimed restaurant, which was a mistake you should not make. We will check it out next time. Overall things were just fine and I'd like to return the next time we're down in Key West.

Hope this helps

1 Thank mapglobal2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I have just spent 4 nights at the Marquesa Hotel and would massively recommend this place to anyone staying in Key West. It's location is perfect; a couple of blocks off the action, so it's nice and peaceful, but just a short walk from Duval Street.

We found the service at the hotel to be attentive but not intrusive. The rooms were extremely tasteful and spotlessly clean. Our only minor complaint was that we would have liked tea/coffee making facilities in the room.

The pool area really was a beautiful, little oasis and though small, always seemed to have sun loungers available.

There are some great places to eat in Key West. We thoroughly enjoyed the cuban breakfasts at 'Havana' on Duval Street. We also had a couple of great meals at 'Sarabeths' and 'Turtle Kraals'. The staff in the hotel had recommended 'Louie's Backyard' where we had tapas. The food was good, but the woman at the front desk who we spoke to to make inquires about booking for Sunday lunch was so dismissive, we decided not to go back. Our favourite place though would have to be a little french wine bar called 'Vinos on Duval', which we loved and went back to each evening for drinks.

We really weren't ready to leave after just four nights. We'll certainly be back to both the Marquesa Hotel and Key West.

1 Thank mandyb64
Saint-Beat, France
Reviewed 6 December 2013

A fantastic location, just one block from Duval Street, the Marquesa Hotel lifts you into paradise.

We had room 3 which is a room opening onto the pool - wonderful - so peaceful and the inside courtyard with the pools is like staying in a little botanical garden.

We just want to come back over and over again - it is wonderful.

I don't know the name of the person who greeted us but he is wonderful - he has been here 20 years and is so lovely - every little part of this hotel is bliss.

There is even a tiny car park that is free if you come by car. Although you really do not need a car here at all.

Although a little more pricy than some other hotels - it was worth every penny to spend the last two days of our holiday in this mini paradise.

One thing I would have liked was a sleep function on the tv - but that is just me............nothing can detract from this hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 3 which was a ground floor room opening onto the pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We spent three nights at the Marquesa Hotel during Thanksgiving weekend 2013. We chose the Marquesa based on the outstanding Trip Advisor reviews and the hotel lived up to those high standards. Our well-appointed room (room 13) overlooking the pool was immaculate and the lush grounds were welcoming and relaxing. The location a few blocks off of Duval Street was close to everything while affording peace and quiet and a sense of all-enveloping luxury. All this plus free parking, free bicycles and exceptionally attentive staff make for a wonderful experience.

Liverpool, England
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We had 3 nights in Key West and chose the Marquesa based on its reviews. We had a warm welcome and help with the luggage. The room (13) was lovely, if small by US standards. The housekeeping, both indoors and out, is to a very high standard - it's a very calm and relaxing place to stay. Drinks are provided by the poolside; even so we would have liked the facility to make our own.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

The Marquesa set the bar with their attention to detail. From first contact, I knew I had found the right place. Two weeks in advance, the staff was planning tours and reservations. Upon arrival, wine was poured to welcome us. Bikes were waiting in the garage. Our room was sparkling and picturesque. The pool was a private oasis, with someone refreshing towels or sweeping, maintaining perfection at all times. I've stayed in a lot of places and in many countries, The Marquesa is a Key West must!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beth H
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at the Marquesa during my summer holidays in August. I wanted to allow some time to let the experience settle in, in case I got carried away. But even a few months later, the memories are still wonderful. The hotel is beautiful, two wonderful shaded pools and the reception areas are stylish and peaceful. Also is is located well to easily get into Key West, but set back so as to not be so noisy. The main attribute is the staff. Each time I asked for help they didn't just help me, they asked themselves "How would I like to be treated" and their standard was even higher than I requested. If you are going to Key West, take my advice, don't look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple