“Great Place in Key West”
Review of Marquesa Hotel

Marquesa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Great Place in Key West”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

In the heart of Key West. Rented and rode bikes all over the Island. The hotel arranged for our bike rentals and anything else we needed help with. Will come back again soon. Just loved the place. This hotel is also a relatively easy walk to most attractions in Key West.

3 Thank JMC1944

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Beautiful grounds, pool, staff, five star restaurant, right in the middle of town. Rented a car and bikes but needed only bikes. Driving only needed to and from the airport. Top notch stay, met so many lovely people. Will return. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We were in #3 and shared a patio. Might try for room on other side of pool next time, for a little m...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GastroCeleb
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was my 3rd stay in Key West but my husband's first and our 18th anniversary. I wanted it to be special. Our room-13 was great. Quiet, well appointed and house keeping is wonderful. The two pools are lovely. We preferred the non- heated one as it was very warm when we were there. But then the last night we were there, the 4 th night things fell apart. It was a Thursday night and the only time I saw this older gentle man on duty. I called at about 5 to say our air conditioning wasn't working. Right away someone came up and looked at the unit and thought they had it working. We went for a swim and upon returning it was even hotter almost 84 in the room. I called again to indicate the air was still not working.they said they would get someone on it. We went to dinner and when we returned the older gentleman somewhat sharply reported the air conditioning was working after I asked. We went to the room and it was not working. I called again and said we would be on the front porch having a bottle of wine while my husband had a cigar. We went back up later and while it was still warm, with the ceiling fan on high we could sleep. Upon leaving this morning the same person indicated he couldn't get a maintenance person last night, after 3 calls from us! He said he tried to find us to place us in a " much nicer room" but didn't know where we were. His manner was so dis missive and uncaring. After 4 lovely days and 3 nights he ruined our experience there. For the money I do think breakfast should be provided. All other staff members were wonderful. This person is not well suited for the hospitality business.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on Simonton. It would be really loud. Facing the pools our on Fleming would be...
2 Thank Patricia D
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

If your happy to spend on quality, this home from home delivers on all fronts. Great rooms, great external space and a team who care. That's it! Shortest review I have ever done but trust me it is excellent.

Room Tip: Any room is a good choice. From what I saw they are all of a very very high standard.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derrick792
Millsboro, Delaware
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We booked the Marquesa for an anniversary trip to Key West based on TripAdvisor reviews and generally enjoyed our stay. The best thing about the place is its location as we left our car in the garage and walked everywhere.

That said, there were two events that clouded our stay. When we arrived, we were shown to room #109, a bright corner room on the front of the building. It would be noisy, I guessed, but we use white noise and that generally makes anything bearable. What was not was the overpowering smell of mold in the room, likely living in the carpeting or the sofa, that smacked me in the face when we entered the room. I have asthma and simply could not breathe (breathing is a good thing) after even a few minutes, so I asked C. J., the very personable and helpful young man who helped us move in, if we could move to another room. He checked and returned to tell us that the only thing left was a junior suite at a considerably higher price. This was late in the day in an unfamiliar place, so we looked at the second room, #15, and agreed to move, which we did. Management made no effort to amend the price or be more accommodating although it wasn’t our fault that they had booked us into an uninhabitable, unhealthful space. We paid a considerable additional price because they did not provide us decent lodging booked at the advertised and agreed upon sum.

The second event was even more unsettling. I placed a small bag containing several pieces of “vacation” jewelry, not the good stuff, but a few favorite things that are fun to wear, in the safe behind the bathroom door when we left one morning. There were two safes in the room, one in the closet floor and one in the bathroom. Apparently, only the bathroom one is actually usable, so I don’t know why the old one remains in place. Anyhow, when we returned to the room and started getting dressed for dinner that evening, I found the safe open and my jewelry vanished. We spend the next hour frantically looking through our suitcases and everywhere in the room for the case. When we walked through the reception area on our way out, I mentioned the missing jewelry to the person on duty, who told me that missing jewelry simply does not happen at the Marquesa. I replied that actually it did. Fortunately, my husband had met C. J. at the front door and told him about this situation. C. J. immediately told us that someone on the staff had cleaned out the safe earlier that day and might have my belongings. He would check. When we returned from dinner, the manager had my bag in hand. If C. J. had not been present and able to tell us what was going on, we would have contacted the police and had quite a bit of uproar, all because management did not tell us about clearing the safe. As it was I had some very rough hours, and it never would have occurred to me that the safe had been cleared out by staff.

So, the Marquesa is a pleasant, convenient place to stay, with a small but attractive garden, enhanced by hanging baskets of orchids, and two small swimming pools, one heated, one not. We stayed busy being travelers, but we enjoyed what time we had to relax in the garden and in our room. We also liked being so close to its sister restaurant, right around the corner. I hope management will take care of the horrible mold situation as it really is a significant health issue, and I hope they will try to communicate better when their actions impact guests.

8 Thank Lakegoddess
West Chester, Pa
Reviewed 12 April 2014

my wife and i stayed for 4 nights. Staff is wonderful, and we had a junior suite (17) which was private although we could see the entrance to the garage from our porch, which I did not like very much since amidst all the lush greenery this area had ugly concrete. Regardless, the lush surroundings and 2 pools provided a great respite from the hustle of Duval which was onlly 2 blocks away. Really, a perfect location for walking in and around Key West. Would be perfect if breakfast was offered.

Room Tip: go for a junior suite
2 Thank Cranium
Stratford
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had 4 rooms for our party of 8 adults. Firstly just to get the negative out of the way. You either need to take a good set of earplugs or have several mojitos to get a good night's sleep ! The traffic noise was so bad that I had to wear ear plugs which was a first for me. The windows are double glazed but understandably the hotel is old and this was not modern sound proofing. In order to combat this, I would definitely ask for a pool view room with balcony as I don't think these face the street - avoid room 9 as this faces the street on two sides. Also avoid the attic room on the top floor as this is quite claustrophobic - we asked to be changed but they were unable to help.
On a more positive note - everything else was excellent ! Staff were all very friendly, pool and garden area like an oasis, free coffee and juice by the pool in the morning and chilled water and iced tea available all day. The rooms were lovely and would appeal to most of us. Despite the noise issue, I would recommend, but make sure you ask for a quieter room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family